Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:26 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user432 View Post
Tampa has some of the best beaches in the world. San Diego has good beaches for California. Can't compete. The only thing San Diego has that Tampa doesn't have is very good summer weather.

But you'll soon discover (if you move to SD) most people who can leave San Diego are doing so. Not true with Tampa.
really? I don't know many people leaving SD,unless they feel they 'have to',and in such cases,it's not that they 'can',but the 'must',in their minds.
Sure,alot of folks fled to AZ,NV,TX to be able to afford a house.
I don't know the stats,but it seems like many have wanted to return to CA.
To each his own-although CA is not perfect,I could not live in FLA,and it's not just the humidity-it's the culture-or lack thereof. sorry to offend-i've had family living on the tampa side-and i've visited more than once. It's not a bad place to visit,and Tampa of all the areas I visited,seems the best option.

I just would not agree that the 'only' thing SD has that Tampa doesn't is 'mild summers'. lol.
It depends,really,on what one is 'looking for'. If you just need costco and walmart,and the movie theater, and a few parks and restaurants,then sure,Tampa and SD are comparable. And the beaches are different-'can't be compared',is not 'better or worse',but SD is a mediterranean climate,not a tropical climate. And I have travelled the world,swum in beaches around the caribbean,the indian ocean,yucatan,etc. SD's beaches are also some of the best in the world,not just 'by CA standards'. They serve a different purpose,true,but that is not less than by definition.
I think I will leave it at that for now.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-22-2010 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Duck!
ha ha that is pretty funny...Actually,I have never wanted to live in or stay in SD,and have tried to move for years...but keep ending up back in SD. [8 yrs now]lol.
I hardly would say that I will never let anyone say anything bad about SD. I just think it's silly when people try to compare apples and oranges [tropical vs. mediterranean for example],or base statements on their own lifestyle preferences [ie,SD only has better summers than Tampa;you'll find everything else there. Yea,right! lol Now,THAT is a good one. I'm not saying there's nothing in Tampa,but being located in CA gives SD the proximity to SFO and LA,for starters. Tampa,Miami. You do the math. And SD definitely has more varied lifestyle options,as well as immediate access to the desert and the mountains,geographically speaking.]
Anyway,to each his own!!! ciao.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Sorry to throw a wrench in your argument- I didn't clarify my point. If people move here for the most part to take sole advantage of the weather and have to take extreme measures to survive financially- when does that 5 maybe 10 hours of free daylight time a week become a lame benefit to reside here?
The OP will NOT have to take 'extreme measures' to live in SD.
Can we stay on topic,everyone?
200k a year will not require extreme measures.
It will not buy him as big of a house as in Tampa,but he will not struggle in SD,like people are discussing.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Big deal. A week ago today, it was 80 degrees all over Southern California.
That is silly.
I visited naples,fla for xmas one year,and it was in the 50's and very windy/cold!
SD that year was warm,high 70's,low 80's. It varies greatly.
Also,so cal is mediterranean climate,southern florida is closer to tropical.
Please look up the definition of mediterranean,and then much of the discussion will be unecessary. seriously.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I've lived in both places. Tampa feels like Hickville compared to San Diego. Yeah, you can get used to the humidity (sort of), but if you have any interest in outdoor activities other than water sports, I can't imagine choosing Tampa.

San Diego:

Better-educated
Better colleges and universities
Milder climate
Much lower crime rate
Fewer bugs, mosquitoes, and snakes
Fewer rednecks
More international
More politically progressive
Livelier downtown
More interesting topography
Proximity to L.A. and Tijuana
More of a live-and-let-live attitude
More consumer protections, more lenient drug laws (State Of California)

Tampa:

Cheaper
Wider variety of pleasant, older neighborhoods to choose from
Better for year-round water sports
Thank-you for this! I didn't take the time to cite so many differences,but did agree that there's alot more difference than summertime weather. lol. Unless your main criteria are making sure there's a walmart,a costco and some parks,and a few sporting events....but if your criteria involves almost everything else-art,music scene,proxmity to other major cities,diverse lifestyle options and geography/climates [ie,anza borrego and palomar mtn,for starters],then SD obviously comes out ahead. I would also argue that SD is a better place to raise children-i know,some will say tampa is great,too. Just my humble opinion,though.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
I left Florida (West Palm Beach) this afternoon and it was sunny, dry, and 76 F…I laid on the beach this morning before we left.

I landed in LA and it was windy, overcast, and a cool 58 F.

“if” weather is important I would choose Florida.
I don't think it would be wise to choose a climate based on one day's weather.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,937 times
No they can be easily compared, although no one really needs to compare because California isn't in this league of beach. But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying SD's beaches are bad. The views are nice for the elites who can afford them, which is ever out of your grasp as a Californian.

The issue of CA killing it's middle class and the exodus of thousands of businesses from the state and the issue of the state being bankrupt are all other issues I suppose.

But to sum it up, you do have OK beaches with really good weather and poor future economic prospects.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
CA's economy is far more dymanic that Florida's. Anyone that thinks Florida's economic outlook is any better is delusional, that Ponzi scheme that is Florida is failing. Tampa seems like a nice city but the only real advantage it has over SD is a much lower cost of living, and beaches I suppose, but it suffers many of the same problems as SD and to a worse degree for some of them.

A BTW I do not know anyone looking to leave this place, the only one's I've seen leave had to and didn't want to. Some of us actually know how to manage our lives and finances to make it work here.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:55 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,938 times
Even though Tampa has a lower cost of living, it's apparently pretty hard to find decent jobs there so in the end it is still unaffordable for most people. In 2007 and 2008, it ranked dead last on Forbes list of "best cities for young professionals". This list is adjusted for population, so it's not like small cities were given a disadvantage against bigger cities. The study also said that Tampa had the lowest salary compared to cost of living score of all the cities that were studied.

Cloudy Skies For Tampa's Young Professionals - Forbes.com

Old 02-23-2010, 08:28 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
The OP will NOT have to take 'extreme measures' to live in SD.
Can we stay on topic,everyone?
200k a year will not require extreme measures.
It will not buy him as big of a house as in Tampa,but he will not struggle in SD,like people are discussing.
You are a Sr. member here- and you don't realize a topic takes its twist and turns- did someone give a review of Shutter Island in between?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego