Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:26 AM

11 posts, read 20,608 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

My husband and I are looking for the auto insurance for his car in San Diego. We used to have the State Farm auto insurance here in Minneapolis. We pay around $250 per six month for his car. My husband has just moved to SD and bought a different car. We called a State Farm office here in SD and they quoted the rate of $750 per six month, almost triple the price we used to pay in MN. He has one speedy ticket in the last six month, but other than that his record is usually clean. Is it true that the auto insurance in CA higher than other place? Do you know which company we can get the more affordable auto insurance? Any input/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 09:10 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
I had the same problem when I moved from St Louis to San Diego five years ago. State Farm California treated me like a brand new State Farm customer. They said they couldn't give me preferred rates here in CA because I was new to CA. So they doubled my rates.

But then I got lucky, I met this agent purely by accident:
http://online2.statefarm.com/b2c/sf/agent/55/8497

Somehow he managed to get me preferred rates based on my prior State Farm loyalty. My car insurance premiums with State Farm are now less than I paid in St Louis for similar coverage.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 AM

Thanks cruitr! We will give the agent a call. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datran View Post
Thanks cruitr! We will give the agent a call. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Home ownership also makes a big difference in car insurance rates. If you own a home in MN insured by State Farm and don't own a home here, State Farm CA may not give you the best car insurance rates.

Btw... my wife is from Green Bay. Once a cheesehead, always a cheesehead!

Old 02-24-2010, 10:22 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
I have GMAC, and it was lower than everyone else for full coverage - even AAA.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:01 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Wawanesa Insurance is also lower than most. Also make sure you get added coverage for non-insured folks. There are alot of people out there without car insurance and if you get in an accident, you're really stuck unless you get that additional coverage. It's not very expensive.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM

Thanks cruitr, moved and loveautumn for your help and direction! I will check them out.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:46 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datran View Post
Good morning!

My husband and I are looking for the auto insurance for his car in San Diego. We used to have the State Farm auto insurance here in Minneapolis. We pay around $250 per six month for his car. My husband has just moved to SD and bought a different car. We called a State Farm office here in SD and they quoted the rate of $750 per six month, almost triple the price we used to pay in MN. He has one speedy ticket in the last six month, but other than that his record is usually clean. Is it true that the auto insurance in CA higher than other place? Do you know which company we can get the more affordable auto insurance? Any input/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
we had state farm years ago,but when we moved back to CA from CO,they did not give us the best rates. Currently,we pay,for 2 cars,in SD,$420 per 6 months.[total for both] They are older cars,however. Liberty Mutual.

Also try AAA so cal,which has in the past give us great rates-they rise and fall,and I've found you need to re-shop every couple of years to find the current best rate,among companies.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,358 times
I was with Wawanesa for a number of years. They had great rates... but I switched to Mercury because they beat them by about $100 for my wife and I. Also, we got a Renter's policy with Mercury which made it even cheaper. Wawanesa doesn't have Renter's insurance. It was actually cheaper overall with the renter's policy than with the auto by itself. Renter's was only $84 year, but it saved $63 every 6 months ($126) for the year on the auto. My agent is Daron Payne. [url=http://www.dpinsuranceservices.com]Home[/url]

Old 03-16-2010, 04:04 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I have State Farm and love them. Coverage, customer service, an Agent that will be there for you is what we like. As stated if you have multiple plans, auto, life, home owners or renters, ect, you will get a better deal. We have 2 life policies, 2 auto policies, and for now renters policy and it does help to bundle them with a company that you can trust. Also with the bigger companies even though you may pay more, many have in the past offered a customer rebate check at the end of the year. That has not happened for some time but was nice to get in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego