U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:05 AM

315 posts, read 526,806 times

Advertisements

im a lil confused now.. i dont know if downtown is a better fit for me...

im 24, black, work from home, can afford $5k/mo for rent, and im looking for somewhere that is laid back and has people(i dont want to live in a street where i hardly see anyone)

So i was in san diego for the past 2 weeks(tower 23 in MB), and it was laid back, lots of stuff around, but then some people told me downtown might be a better fit for me.. what are the pros/cons of downtown vs mb/pb?

Thanks ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 03:55 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,845,287 times
My opinion is that in downtown you're going to have a more upscale, sophisticated, older crowd. You will be in the center of a lot of activity and will definitely get to experience a lot and meet a lot of people downtown.

With a $5k rent budget, you could get a really nice place downtown in one of the highrises overlooking the bay or Petco. You obviously wouldn't have a yard or any maintenance that you'd have to worry about downtown. However, depending on where you live downtown, you may have to deal with the homeless population.

PB/MB may be nice if you are a beach person and have the desire to live around a younger crowd.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:42 PM

7,160 posts, read 18,439,305 times
You want luxury and a relatively upscale atmosphere, you either live in La Jolla or Downtown.

You want college kids, bikinis and beer bongs, you live in PB/MB

We've been over this with you at least 3 times now.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:08 AM

2,984 posts, read 6,759,056 times
You will 'age' into Downtown. You will 'age' out of MB/PB.

Downtown may provide you with a better professional environment, and give you a sense that you are working professional, as opposed to being someone who is on permanent vacation.

You could move to MB/PB, and live it up for 2 years or so, and then when the noise and partiers prove to be too much, you could move. At 23 years of age, you can't have accumulated too much stuff that will make moving a hassle. Or you could move to Downtown now, and stay put.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You want luxury and a relatively upscale atmosphere, you either live in La Jolla or Downtown.

You want college kids, bikinis and beer bongs, you live in PB/MB

We've been over this with you at least 3 times now.
yeah but MB was pretty cool.. wasnt upscale but it was nice..

is la jolla a better spot than downtown?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:02 PM

5,289 posts, read 4,645,312 times
La Jolla is 100% upscale. Only the rich can afford it.

Downtown is a mixture of upscale, middle-class and homeless.

Since you are already here, I would spend a few days and nights in each of the places you are considering to get a feel for it.

Go out, walk around, meet the people. Visit the stores, restaurants, clubs, etc.

And you could also just try renting in one area for a few months ... and then move to another area if it doesn't fit your lifestyle.

While you are renting, you'd have opportunity to travel all over San Diego to see what's the place for you.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
La Jolla is 100% upscale. Only the rich can afford it.

Downtown is a mixture of upscale, middle-class and homeless.

Since you are already here, I would spend a few days and nights in each of the places you are considering to get a feel for it.

Go out, walk around, meet the people. Visit the stores, restaurants, clubs, etc.

And you could also just try renting in one area for a few months ... and then move to another area if it doesn't fit your lifestyle.

While you are renting, you'd have opportunity to travel all over San Diego to see what's the place for you.
yea there are some nice buildings downtown, like elecktra(sp) i see online...

Which place has more clubs/restaurants/bars?

La Jolla, PB or DTown

Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 PM

5,289 posts, read 4,645,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanz View Post
yea there are some nice buildings downtown, like elecktra(sp) i see online...

La Jolla, PB or DTown
Downtown has a lot of restaurants, bars, etc. in the Gas Lamp area. It's near Horton Plaza, around 5th St.

I think downtown is a better area for a young, hip lifestyle.

To me, La Jolla seems more conservative and preppy.

But you should try both for yourself. Spend a few days at each one.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:43 PM

8,796 posts, read 12,389,414 times
I don't think your going to find many clubs and bars in La Jolla. If you want clubs/restaurants and bars, then you want to live downtown in the Gaslamp District. You'll be able to walk to them all.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:44 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,845,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanz View Post

La Jolla, PB or DTown
Downtown has a big variety of restaurants and clubs that cater to a more adult/upscale clientele. Downtown is where you'll see the occasional limo pull up as well as some valet parking. You'll also have the VIP entrance/lines downtown (which of course have more people waiting in them than the normal lines).

PB has a nice variety of restaurants, nothing too upscale. Not as nice as the ones downtown. The clubs in PB are more like bars with small dance floors. I think Wavehouse occasionally brings in good DJs. Of course with these clubs you're going to get the college crowd, young men in the armed services, and high school kids with fake ids.

La Jolla is nice, but I don't think it's really the Go-To place when you're with a group of people who want to go clubbing and drinking. They have some nice restaurants and bars as well, kind of foo-foo stuff IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego