Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:09 PM

70 posts, read 178,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Extremely difficult to get into IT at the entry level, is and always has been that way. IT as a profession, demands experience.

So how do go about getting your foot in the door
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 01:31 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexSteel View Post
So how do go about getting your foot in the door
Get a CS degree, most of the largest corps hire new grads with CS degrees.

Otherwise you have to learn on your own, which is what many of us have done. If you have the actual skills, you can get a job, even without a degree (although this used to be more true than it is today). Contributing to an open source project is another way to get experience.

IT is all self-study, you have to keep up, no one will train you.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:49 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Check with some local schools and their apprenice programs. We've hired a few that way in the past.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:03 PM

52 posts, read 85,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapiggie101 View Post
I would try to look for a job out here before actually moving out here. But would you be able to survive on savings if you were to move out here BEFORE landing a job?

When I first moved out here a few years back, I did it on a whim. I didn't have a job lined up but had family and some friends out here. I was able to find a job within a month of moving, but that was a few years back when jobs were A LOT more plentiful and the economy wasn't in the crapper like it is now.

I was recently laid off and am having a hard time finding a full-time job, even as a temp.
I totally agree, but how would I find something if I'm not scheduled to be out there for another 5 months? Who would hire me now and wait until august?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:33 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
No one.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 PM

52 posts, read 85,092 times
Yeah exactly. So should I just take my chances?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 PM

Not unless you have a good amount of money saved up. And if you do, be prepared for a long job hunt.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,801 times
I've noticed quite a few places hiring for pharmacy techs. All you need to do is pass the state exam and your good to go .. no prerequisites required. San Diego state has an exam prep course that runs for about 8 weeks, then you can take your exam and get into these jobs.

As an added bonus, once you have gained some experience, you can try to upgrade and try to become a pharmacist.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:17 PM

There's more to being a pharmacy tech than just passing a state exam. But there's also lot of competition from graduating college students. And you can't "just upgrade" to become a pharmacist. Don't forget that pharmacists work with drugs, and some are controlled substances.

Last edited by moved; 03-02-2010 at 09:25 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I think there's more to being a pharmacy tech than just passing a state exam. But there's also lot of competition from graduating college students. And you can't "just upgrade" to become a pharmacist. Don't forget that pharmacists work with drugs, and some are controlled substances.
I understand your scepticism, and I would have agreed with you a few months ago. However my wife and I did much research on the subject and she has just enrolled in the course. A licensed pharmacist teaches the course which is where I am relaying my information from.

When I say "upgrade", it means you still have to go through 4 years of pharmacy school, however getting into the program is much easier if you are a pharmacy tech as the admissions look highly on on-the-job previous training.

In the end, the pharmacist takes all responsibilty for any drugs dispensed at his/her pharmacy regardless of what type of drug or who actually packaged and labelled the drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: