Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 04:20 PM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,206,115 times

Advertisements

I'm spending about a week in San Diego this week (First week in March)

Can you recommend a few nice nature walks this time of year?

We are looking at Anza-Borrego or Joshua Tree.

Is there anything that is a must see?

Thanks,
Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 04:41 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,012,956 times
I'd reccomend the Dyer Spring trail at Cuyamaca State Park- with all the rain we've had the wildflowers will be going crazy. The trail takes you across a meadow that I've seen knee-deep in a million colors this time of year, and it is *spectacular*.

I don't have time to see if I can find a trail map online right now, but I'll see what I can dig up when I'm at home.

Also, I walked the Oak Canyon trail at Mission Trails on Friday, and it's pretty amazing out there right now, too. You picked a really good year, everything is stunningly green this spring

Old 03-01-2010, 06:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,880,987 times
Torrey Pines State Park
Cabrillo National Monument
San Elijo Nature Center
Chula Vista Nature Center
That state park by the Mexican border by Imperial Beach

Old 03-01-2010, 08:21 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,836,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Torrey Pines State Park
Cabrillo National Monument
San Elijo Nature Center
Chula Vista Nature Center
That state park by the Mexican border by Imperial Beach
I agree. There is a lot of good hiking much closer to SD than a few hours away. No need to drive that far! Now, this spring, with all the rain we've had may be the best desert wild flower season we've had in years. Can't wait.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:32 PM

I wouldn't say that the local Nature hikes are better or worse than out east in the county, country. Depends on your timeframe and logistics. Both Joshua, Anzo, Torrey, and probably the others are pretty unique and worthwhile.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,056,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
I'm spending about a week in San Diego this week (First week in March)

Can you recommend a few nice nature walks this time of year?

We are looking at Anza-Borrego or Joshua Tree.

Is there anything that is a must see?

Thanks,
Justin
palm date canyon,in anza borrego-or something like that. if you look up walks,it will be listed as one of the top walks. it's gorgeous this time of year-we are going next week. and there's an oasis on the walk,which is very cool. anza borrego and joshua tree are both beautiful,both very different from one another,and both have a surreal quality. youc annot go wrong in either-and a great,easy approach is to stop at the visitor's centers and ask/gets maps,etc. There will be company on your walks this time of year-the flowers are blooming in the desert!

Honestly,JT and Anza are both something you will not see anywhere else. I have hiked desert in AZ which was phenomenal,in march,yet anza is still different from there. And JT,you won't find anywhere else in the world. It's beyond unique. you should go if you can,and watch a sunset,check out a roadrunner on the side of the road,climb a boulder,stop at a cafe in yucca valley or JT....and just absorb the vibe.(:

Torrey Pines state beach is 3 miles from my house-it IS a MUST see,IMO. Truly gorgeous,easy to access and not too difficult of a walk down to the ocean from the cliffs,if you choose. And the golf course next door is famous,anyway! lol

If you have to choose,those 3 areas I would recommend.
They truly are all unique and worthwhile. You will be amazed and inspired. And I have lived in SD for 8 yrs-still feel inspired by them,including torrey pines,which i hike almost weekly.

Then again,palomar mountain,idyllwild and east even alpine/julian in the mountains are also great hikes. i've picked apples growing wild in julian in sept. you can't go wrong in SD-all the hiking is nice.

But the first 3 i mentioned would be my top choices.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-01-2010 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-01-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I'd reccomend the Dyer Spring trail at Cuyamaca State Park- with all the rain we've had the wildflowers will be going crazy. The trail takes you across a meadow that I've seen knee-deep in a million colors this time of year, and it is *spectacular*.

I don't have time to see if I can find a trail map online right now, but I'll see what I can dig up when I'm at home.

Also, I walked the Oak Canyon trail at Mission Trails on Friday, and it's pretty amazing out there right now, too. You picked a really good year, everything is stunningly green this spring
yea,cuyamaca is beautiful area...and mission trails is perfect,if you dont have time to venture out...we love that hike. but if you have the time,joshua tree and anza borrego are better choices,along with torrey pines in town. They are a drive,though-3 hrs to JT,1.5 to anza.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
I agree. There is a lot of good hiking much closer to SD than a few hours away. No need to drive that far! Now, this spring, with all the rain we've had may be the best desert wild flower season we've had in years. Can't wait.
true,but JT and Anza are very different and unique areas,than the hikes nearer to SD. I am not saying better or worse,and i do the SD area ones regularly-but JT and anza are so unique;if OP does not know if she/he will be back in SD in the foreseeable future,I recommend driving the couple of hours....

Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
true,but JT and Anza are very different and unique areas,than the hikes nearer to SD. I am not saying better or worse,and i do the SD area ones regularly-but JT and anza are so unique;if OP does not know if she/he will be back in SD in the foreseeable future,I recommend driving the couple of hours....
copycat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego