U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-25-2010, 02:52 PM

58 posts, read 84,394 times

Advertisements

Why is Poway getting such a bad rap? There are some really gorgeous areas in Poway, with stunningly beautiful homes and huge lots. Try the neighborhoods off of High Valley Road. There are definitely some scruffy areas of Poway, but some really nice ones as well.

That being said, my aunt and uncle live in RSF (Crosby Estates) with their 4 school-age kids. I don't think they are snobby at all. Really, you can't go wrong. I am sure you will be happy in any of the neighborhoods.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 02:05 AM

76 posts, read 188,788 times
Just figured I'd follow-up since I started this thread and noticed it was getting some action again ...

We've relocated and are currently renting in Olivenhain.

Poway is definitely out of the question. Why does it get a bad rap? I dunno about anyone else but for us we just decided it was too far "out there" distance wise, and we also prefer the cooler weather to the west. There are definitely some nice homes out there, and it's definitely less expensive.

RSF is definitely out of the question as well. We decided we just don't want to raise our kids there, no matter how nice it is driving around and how much money we may or may not have. Yeah there are some cool down to earth people who live in RSF, but it's definitely NOT the norm. Like others have said it's a different world, and quite frankly, not a world we want to live in or - more importantly - raise our kids in.

Olivenhain is great. Our son is going to OPE and so far so good. My son is actually in 1st grade too, and I pick him up from school as well as volunteer at the school so I know all his classmates quite well. I think I've seen 1 first grader with an iphone. Yeah kids these days get phones pretty young, but OPE is a nice mix of people. Some of the kids come from the surrounding neighborhoods of Carlsbad where the houses are "normal" and range from $600k to around $1.5 mil, and the rest of the kids come from Encinitas and Olivenhain where it's about the same. You do have the kids from the more expensive areas in Olivenhain going to OPE as well, unless they go to private schools.

With that being said, I'm glad we didn't jump the gun and buy a place right off the bat as we're still not sure we want to live in Olivenhain. It's gorgeous, but not much of a "community" feel at all. While there are some families, there are a lot fewer families with children than we'd like. There are a lot of "older" people and it seems like a lot of the people who live in the area chose Olivenhain because they want their space and just want to be left alone (and that's fine if they do). Half the people I wave to while driving through my neighborhood don't even acknowledge you or wave back...

Rarely do you see kids outside playing, families outside doing things in their yards, etc. etc. To sum it up, for us, we had to go trick or treating tonight with some friends in Carlsbad because quite frankly, there are no neighborhoods in Olivenhain where you can really go trick or treating. That pretty much sums up the lack of "family friendliness" if you ask me.

Some will say well if you want a big house on 2 acres you're not going to get a family friendly community. Perhaps that's true here. Where we came from you CAN get both of those things, and I thought we could find that here, so we're disappointed that it doesn't seem to be the case.

We're looking at sacrificing what "we" want for the kids, at least for now. We're looking at a few nearby communities in Carlsbad a few miles away such as "The Ranch". There are a few places like this where you can get a nice 4,000-6,000 sq ft house on 0.5 to 1.0 acre in a nice family friendly neighborhood - a step above the "sardine can" neighborhoods in the area and much more family friendly than Olivenhain. And it's still the same school district so we wouldn't have to pull our boy out of OPE and move him again.

Well, that's my "on the ground" review now that we've been living here for 3 months. Maybe it'll be helpful to someone.

Oh and to anyone even remotely thinking about buying in Santa Luz, PLEASE do your homework and get a great deal if you do buy there. That's all I'll say for now...

Last edited by limitup; 11-01-2010 at 02:16 AM..

Old 11-01-2010, 02:15 AM

238 posts, read 467,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsproule View Post
This house is in a development called Santa Luz which is in Rancho Bernardo. Don't know about the schools.
I don't think Santaluz is Rancho Bernardo. It is west of 4S Ranch and Rancho Peñasquitos, close to Rancho Santa Fe. The school district is Poway Unified, you can always check the exact schools at the school district website against the actual address.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:17 AM

76 posts, read 188,788 times
Santa Luz wants to be part of RSF but it's just not. Any of the RSF locals will tell you that.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:25 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,319,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limitup View Post
Oh and to anyone even remotely thinking about buying in Santa Luz, PLEASE do your homework and get a great deal if you do buy there. That's all I'll say for now...
HI there. Thanks for your excellent post. Can you elaborate on Santa Luz? What did you mean? We didn't consider the area before but there looks like there are some gorgeous homes there. The only thing I noticed from doing online searches is there seems to be a higher percentage of homes that are in short sales or distressed or behind on their mortgages. Is that what you meant?

It looks a bit far out for us but we still planned to take a look at it when we move out to the area next year but please post any information if you can or PM me. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:24 AM

34 posts, read 95,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soymabelen View Post
I don't think Santaluz is Rancho Bernardo. It is west of 4S Ranch and Rancho Peñasquitos, close to Rancho Santa Fe. The school district is Poway Unified, you can always check the exact schools at the school district website against the actual address.

The San Diego MLS shows both Santa Luz & 4S Ranch as being part of western Rancho Bernardo and they are all in the same zip (92127). I believe they are all technically part of the city of San Diego.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:31 AM

I had another question about Santa Luz since it's mentioned in this post so much. The monthly maintenance fees are very high at around $450 a month. Does anyone know if there is a limit in the amount they can raise the fees each month? It looks like all the residents are subsidizing the upkeep on the golf course, etc. I just didn't know if there was something specific that limits how much they can raise the rates each year? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 AM

4,523 posts, read 4,174,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I had another question about Santa Luz since it's mentioned in this post so much. The monthly maintenance fees are very high at around $450 a month. Does anyone know if there is a limit in the amount they can raise the fees each month? It looks like all the residents are subsidizing the upkeep on the golf course, etc. I just didn't know if there was something specific that limits how much they can raise the rates each year? Any advice would be appreciated.
That would be specified in their HOA documents. You'd need to ask someone on their HOA board or else whoever is the hired manager for their HOA.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
That would be specified in their HOA documents. You'd need to ask someone on their HOA board or else whoever is the hired manager for their HOA.

Yes, I gathered that. I was just curious if anyone that lived in Santa Luz read/posted on this board. I've be curious to know the answers to this.

But in other communities in San Diego that have HOA, is it common in your by-laws/rules that they limit the amount they can increase per year? What is the norm in that area? Just curious.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:40 PM

4,523 posts, read 4,174,568 times
Ours has a limit. I belive it's 7%. Not terribly limiting, if they do that year after year after year ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego