U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 PM

7,063 posts, read 17,470,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocoön View Post
Better hop to the window quickly to fetch your order, lest you irritate one of the fat guys --all native New Yorkers, by the way. They resent being left waiting on your slow ass.
This is less true in recent years, many more CA dudes working at Bronx counter nowadays. I eat there 2x a week.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 PM

48 posts, read 90,364 times
Tried Bronx today it's ok I guess I was expecting more. Pizza ports is better IMO, but the style is totally different it maybe its more a preference thing. The workers looked Californian to me.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:40 PM

2,642 posts, read 2,672,091 times
Speaking with New York/Jersey authority, I have figured out the 2 problems with Bronx Pizza. While the crust in thin, it's taste is off, have more of a plain white bread taste. Also, the cheese/sauce part, while generally good, is lacking some zest.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:28 PM

2,030 posts, read 2,468,657 times
I never, never got the hype with Bronx or Fat Tony's and have been to both 2x just to see if they were just having an "off" day and I found both pizzas gross. Just because the pizza is large and has thin crust, doesn't make a pizza "New York Style". It has to have taste too! I have been to NYC many times and have had my New York born and raised parents try these places with me and neither cared for them.

I have an extra Groupon for Fat Tony's that I am just hoping to sell on Craigslist so I don't have to feel that I have to use it up.

So far I didn't really think any pizza in the San Diego area was the best pizza ever (the best pizza I ever had is from a place called Pizza Boy in Queens in NY). However there are places near me in La Mesa where I thought the pizza was pretty good. I have liked so far Manhattan Pizza, New York Giant Pizza, and Nomi's pizza. Surprisingly the first 2 are really cheap. I am going to try Rocky Mountain's (Rocky something??) sometime soon.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:17 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,750,695 times
I am from Jersey and assure you, Bronx is the closest we've come to the pizza we had back home. It's identical to the NYC/North Jersey pies. Just because you once visited NYC and Bronx doesn't taste like it doesn't mean it's not authentic. You probably just went to some tourist trap in the city, along with the other tourists.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I am from Jersey and assure you, Bronx is the closest we've come to the pizza we had back home. It's identical to the NYC/North Jersey pies. Just because you once visited NYC and Bronx doesn't taste like it doesn't mean it's not authentic. You probably just went to some tourist trap in the city, along with the other tourists.
There is enough variety in NY area that Bronx is totally acceptable. When there is only one pizza place to choose from you end up over-analyzing it. When you have a dozen within a mile you end up accepting that they all have little differences and there is no "one true pie" unless you are talking about Lombardis or Grimaldis. And if you are looking for Italy in a pizza place you are a bigger snob than we New Yorkers are.

I find it much better when you eat at Bronx than when you get takeout. It might not be the best but I think it is actually better than the place by my house on LI that my parents swear by. If only they had garlic knots and calzones...

Old 10-24-2010, 08:00 PM

2,549 posts, read 4,389,746 times
Oggi's is my go-to. Not a big fan of the NY style.

Mike

Old 10-24-2010, 08:38 PM

5,518 posts, read 6,505,473 times
For San Diego, this one: Bongiorno's Pizza Solana Beach- Home

For the absolute best pizza on the West Coast, bar none (don't even argue with me!!!) it's this place in Portland, OR: Apizza Scholls

Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 PM

Bongiorno's is good as is Knock Out, Luigis, Ciros.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:51 PM

2,030 posts, read 2,468,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I never said I was there once...

I have been to NYC MANY times and spent my summers and winters there growing up. My parents lived there until their 20s and know good New York pizza from the lousy New York "Style" pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego