Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:43 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,389,712 times

Advertisements

What is your price range ? I would not live on the 8 east beyond La Mesa going east, especially not rentals. When you rent, the idea is to rent in an area you could not afford to buy in....or step up a few levels. El Cajon is simply uneventful/undesirable to most. I think you'd get tired of living there in about a week. I think La Mesa is probably the best value out there, cost a little more than El Cajon, but is also alot nicer. Mission Valley or even uptown near Sass is also good for rentals. Lots of college students in all these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 10:18 PM

812 posts, read 4,065,394 times
I'd also look along the 125 corridor there, it's kind of La Mesa/El Cajon/Santee's meeting point (and I guess a little of San Diego itself around what I would consider San Carlos.)

It's a little out of the way, having to go on the 125 for a little while, but that area is in my opinion much nicer than the valley of El Cajon, and I wouldn't imagine prices are much different. Mostly houses around there, though, but you can tell the people have pride of ownership, because the houses aren't on dirt or dead grass like they are in so many parts of El Cajon. I'm sure rentals can be found, though, and you can find that the 52's eastern end can be a good alternative to the 8 sometimes, so your drive times might actually be better.

I currently live in La Mesa around Baltimore on the north side of the 8, and it's not "upscale" or "beautiful" but it's plenty safe (I go out of town a ton, and for long periods, and never had a problem) and I don't really think that the price can be beat for a rental, especially when compared to mission valley.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,659 times
What is the commute like from Poway to El Cajon? Is there alot of traffic in the morning?

Old 02-19-2009, 10:02 PM

812 posts, read 4,065,394 times
If you took 67 it wouldn't be too bad at all, except that it's a 2 lane, windy road and if someone wrecks it could tie things up.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,438 times
El cajon is worse then sping vally due to people in el cajon dont care about nothing i live in coral gardens on bradley ave in el cajon and my next door negihor broke into my house and took all my stuff in sping valley i never had a problem everyone was nice i liked the apts i was in DO NOT MOVE TO EL CAJON THEY DO NOT LIKE NEW PEOPLE I HAD TO FIND THAT OUT THE HARD WAY I HOPE THAT HELPS

Old 08-04-2009, 05:38 PM

258 posts, read 1,646,095 times
There are really nice parts of El Cajon.
Especially in Granite Hills and Fletcher Hills neighborhoods.

Also most of La Mesa, Santee and Rancho San Diego are nice.

El Cajon has some shady areas and the apartment complexes down in the valley are to be avoided. This mostly has to do with the low-income, parolees, and gang members who were expelled from SD.

But as I said there are some really nice areas of El Cajon. Not always the most upscale, but safe and decent neighbors.

Good luck on your choice.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:08 PM

457 posts, read 1,340,815 times
Really the only places to avoid in El Cajon are all the dumpy apartments and tiny houses in the core of the town. There are quite a lot of nice places around the outside of El Cajon. Just because the address says 'El Cajon' don't automatically assume it's bad.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:23 PM

176 posts, read 632,593 times
El Cajon is a lot better now than it was when I left there 14 years ago. Back then it was run down places, meth labs, and drug busts every day. But this was on S. Anza, and later Lincoln.
I personally would never move back there, but my dad has lived there since 89 and he has had no problems.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:15 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,687,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskray917 View Post
Really the only places to avoid in El Cajon are all the dumpy apartments and tiny houses in the core of the town. There are quite a lot of nice places around the outside of El Cajon. Just because the address says 'El Cajon' don't automatically assume it's bad.
Very true, those hills that surround the El Cajon Valley are full of nice homes and neighborhoods.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:08 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,550,595 times
El Cajon is a pretty cool place.I like it.Would I live there?Yes!Not that bad at all.They get that National City/South Bay rap which is never true.Problem spots do exist but what real city dosn't have them?

And for elcajon1,did you live somewhere else in SD?Are you are native?I mean if they "don't accept new people well" then that's a notion of Community Pride in my opinion.One thing San Diego locals need to improve on is defending our home and don't let the tourists and newbies run this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego