U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:19 PM

6 posts, read 41,814 times
Default Is El Cajon REALLY that bad?

After reading posts on this board, I get the feeling that most people feel negatively about El Cajon. But, I asked a friend who lives there if it's "ghetto" and she said it's not at all.

It's not as if I have low standards, but I'm not rich either. I'd just appreciate it if you guys could go into a little more detail about the area. How "bad" is it? I'm not one that bothers others at all. I'll be visiting in a couple weeks to search for an apartment. I'll be attending SDSU this fall. How is it in comparison to La Mesa? To what degree?

As many responses as possible would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 03:23 PM

7,098 posts, read 17,900,695 times
It's not ghetto, just run down. Typical lower-middle-class neighborhoods you could find anywhere in the country. There are some areas with crime problems and also some areas that are quite rural. You'll hear people who say that everything east of the 5 is ghetto... don't listen to them.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:52 PM

Really? Thanks for the info. When I went there, it didn't look like it was too badly run down, but maybe I just saw one of the nicer areas.

I guess when I go in a few weeks I'll be able to see for myself once and for all. I gather that La Mesa is nicer though, right?

Old 06-03-2007, 09:24 PM

Yes, La Mesa is nicer. El Cajon has some nice neighborhoods but I'd only be considering it if you were talking about purchasing property. You won't be getting a huge savings over rentals in La Mesa in El Cajon... just more of a selection of run-down buildings.

The area from around SDSU to Downtown La Mesa is still pretty much city-level density, a lot of run-down property, nice houses in the hills, newer suburbs north of the freeway. Not sure if you are looking for a house or an apartment but in this area apartments are usually on the main roads, 8-25 unit crackerbox-type affairs. There are some of the 'resort-style' complexes in northern La Mesa too. The neighborhoods which are pretty exclusively 40's-60's ranch homes.

My favorite ares in La Mesa are
- Mt Helix
- Fletcher Hills
- Windsor Hills

Old 06-04-2007, 02:16 PM

Oh okay, thanks again.

I'm interested in these apartments in La Mesa:

La Mesa Gardens
8633 La Mesa Blvd

Mesa Ridge
5639 Jackson Dr

Baltimore East
5401 Baltimore Dr

Village Apartments
5500 Morro Wy

Do you know which of these complexes are in a "good" area? Do you have any other recommendations for apartments in La Mesa?

Also, I'm interested in Shadow Point Apartments in Spring Valley. Is Spring Valley comparable to El Cajon in terms of run-downness?

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2007, 05:50 PM

Sassberto, you there? Anyone?

Old 06-04-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac89 View Post
Oh okay, thanks again.

I'm interested in these apartments in La Mesa:

La Mesa Gardens
8633 La Mesa Blvd

Mesa Ridge
5639 Jackson Dr

Baltimore East
5401 Baltimore Dr

Village Apartments
5500 Morro Wy

Do you know which of these complexes are in a "good" area? Do you have any other recommendations for apartments in La Mesa?

Also, I'm interested in Shadow Point Apartments in Spring Valley. Is Spring Valley comparable to El Cajon in terms of run-downness?

Thanks!
Any of those should be fine, apartment complexes vary greatly but the area should not be a problem.

Spring Valley is about a notch below El Cajon in socioeconomic status... I'd avoid it overall but can't comment about specific apartment buildings.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:04 PM

35 posts, read 74,126 times
Do not under any circumstances move to Spring Valley. I am not going to elaborate past that. Sassberto was being nice calling it a "notch" below El Cajon. Stick to La Mesa, you will be fine. Especially off Baltimore and the closer you get to the Grossmont shops.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:57 PM

3 posts, read 20,347 times
can i say if these places are run down that theres not a credit check

Old 06-26-2007, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 20,347 times
Default how about it

i need a apartment....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego