U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2010, 08:03 AM
 
10 posts, read 17,258 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the purpose of a "gang"? Is it simply a loosely connected organization to help facilitate the selling of drugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Encinitas
1,772 posts, read 3,363,778 times
Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy1223 View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the purpose of a "gang"? Is it simply a loosely connected organization to help facilitate the selling of drugs?
No, not necessarily. I think in general police parlance, a gang is a group of people who congregrate with the intent of committing any crime, be it selling drugs, property crimes, vandalism, whatever. Some cities have even passed injunctions to prevent known gang members from associating with one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 06:46 PM
 
1 posts, read 158 times
Reputation: 10
This is bulllllllsssshhhhittttttt. I live in national city which in known to be a ****ed up city but in my mind there is no real danger. I hate to see dumbasses try to think their city is ghetto when Carlsbad has mostly 600,000 to 2million dollar houses. It's dumb as ****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Barrio Logan/Shelltown
9,517 posts, read 14,444,330 times
Reputation: 5108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stippplleeerrr View Post
This is bulllllllsssshhhhittttttt. I live in national city which in known to be a ****ed up city but in my mind there is no real danger. I hate to see dumbasses try to think their city is ghetto when Carlsbad has mostly 600,000 to 2million dollar houses. It's dumb as ****
I agree. I live in Barrio Logan/Shelltown, which some people think is a gang infested, crap area, but really isn't. They just believe everything that they read. It's nice and quiet here, compared to City Heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Encinitas
1,772 posts, read 3,363,778 times
Reputation: 818
And by the way, Lil Rob is from the La Colonia aka Eden Gardens neighborhood of Solana Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 11:27 PM
 
1,022 posts, read 683,969 times
Reputation: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy1223 View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the purpose of a "gang"? Is it simply a loosely connected organization to help facilitate the selling of drugs?
Money, re-create some pseudo family/friend environment for kids with crappy families, etc. The funny thing is people glorify the Godfather, Goodfellas, Capones, etc but somehow find the other gangs as low lifes.

But there is also a lot more than just drugs. Most of the sex trade, prostitution, etc is run by gangs. Human trafficking. They might not be on the ground, but they are the ones controlling the money. Oil, gas, energy have become a gang interest now due to oil rigs in the gulf and so on. Identity theft is a billion dollar per year industry now, but it's more a Russian and Asian gang thing compared to anything San Diego has. You also have to realize half the big banks were busted for laundering money for some of these bigger 'gangs.' And the smarter organizations have sent some of their kids to good colleges and have started to get into other businesses. The not as smart organizations usually wind up all dead, in prison or no longer on top in 5-10 years.

People like to pretend it isn't a big business, but the game has changed. Gangs make a lot of money doing things nobody really cares about because it isn't in their neighborhood. So kids, girls, migrants being trafficked across borders, identity theft, oil/gas theft, money laundering, prostitution, etc doesn't seem like a gang thing to most people, but the more organized ones are making billions of dollars per year. But hey, nobody cares that some 13 year old girl is taken from Mexico or Central American and sent to Oceanside to be a prostitute. It doesn't really make their neighborhood in Carmel Valley or La Costa Canyon unsafe. But San Diego does have a huge human trafficking and child prostitution problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2015, 12:50 AM
 
1,253 posts, read 461,880 times
Reputation: 1349
There are gangs in San Diego County. White people like to pretend it's not true, but it is. Before most of North San Diego County became Rich People Country, it was agricultural, and there were small Latino enclaves in O'side, Vista, San Marcos, &, OMG, Carlsbad & Encinitas! The first gangs in North SD Co. came from those areas, and they are still there. You just choose not to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2015, 03:07 AM
 
788 posts, read 945,018 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Before most of North San Diego County became Rich People Country, it was agricultural, and there were small Latino enclaves in O'side, Vista, San Marcos, &, OMG, Carlsbad & Encinitas! The first gangs in North SD Co. came from those areas, and they are still there. You just choose not to see it.
I'm not sure you know the history or current situation in North County because I can assure you it's not "rich people country". Yes, the northern half of San Diego county tends to have more affluent than the southern portion. However, cities like Vista, Escondido ,San Marcos, Oceanside, etc. are either minority-majority or soon to be. The average income of these cities, is either below or at the same level as the City of San Diego. Ramona, Fallbrook, and Valley Center aren't exactly havens for the wealthy either.

The majority of people do not live in the wealthier communities and are just normal middle/working-class individuals. Encinitas, Poway, Carlsbad, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, etc. only account for about 200,000 people, while the population of North County for the extended area is 800,000+

Quote:
There are gangs in San Diego County. White people like to pretend it's not true, but it is.
Not really sure that broad statement is true. Plenty of "white people" are well aware of gangs. We don't all live in Rancho Santa Fe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2015, 05:54 AM
 
1,253 posts, read 461,880 times
Reputation: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhkshdcny09 View Post
I'm not sure you know the history or current situation in North County because I can assure you it's not "rich people country". Yes, the northern half of San Diego county tends to have more affluent than the southern portion. However, cities like Vista, Escondido ,San Marcos, Oceanside, etc. are either minority-majority or soon to be. The average income of these cities, is either below or at the same level as the City of San Diego. Ramona, Fallbrook, and Valley Center aren't exactly havens for the wealthy either.

The majority of people do not live in the wealthier communities and are just normal middle/working-class individuals. Encinitas, Poway, Carlsbad, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, etc. only account for about 200,000 people, while the population of North County for the extended area is 800,000+



Not really sure that broad statement is true. Plenty of "white people" are well aware of gangs. We don't all live in Rancho Santa Fe.
I was a homeowner in Oceanside for 7 years and in Vista for 21 years...does that qualify me???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2015, 06:26 AM
 
788 posts, read 945,018 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
I was a homeowner in Oceanside for 7 years and in Vista for 21 years...does that qualify me???
You clearly did not get out much if you think Oceanside and Vista are wealthy. By the way, the population of Vista and Oceanside alone outnumbers that of the wealthy communities (who also have non-wealthy residents, mind you). Moreover, Vista has one of the lowest median incomes in the county.

I just remembered that you are the local poster who consistently complains about this area on the SD forum. Maybe if you spent less time trying to find ways to hate on the area you wouldn't be inside this bubble of negativity. Clearly it clouds your judgement and perception.

The following comment is so overgeneralized that it shouldn't be taken for a grain of salt.

Quote:
White people like to pretend it's not true, but it is. Before most of North San Diego County became Rich People Country, it was agricultural, and there were small Latino enclaves in O'side, Vista, San Marcos, &, OMG, Carlsbad & Encinitas!
North San Diego is on average wealthier than the rest of the county, but "most of North County" is a complete exaggeration. North County is pretty diverse: ethnicity, race, income, etc. Only about 1/4 of North County residents live in these wealthy communities. One would think that your experience living in Oceanside/Vista would open up your eyes to this. (I'm from Oceanside/Vista too!) North SD County is often perceived as super wealthy because it is where the highest income zipcodes. MOST people do not live in these zip codes. MOST people struggle to live in North San Diego due to the crazy high costs of living.

These cities were settled by Europeans- yes, the dreaded white people. The coastal cities were always wealthier as they attracted wealthier city folk with their beaches. Even Oceanside was a more high-end destination before the military moved to Camp Pendleton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top