U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 10,447 times

Advertisements

Had to make a thread to see if any Carlsbad/Encinitas residents can clear this up. Recently i was with my younger cousin and he had a "Lil Rob" CD and he told me this guy was a gangster rapper from San Diego. I asked him where in SD was he from and he said "The Encinitas and Carlsbad area" I told him there was no way that a Gangster could be from that area and he told me there was a hood in the Carlsbad/Encinutas area. I talked to a buddy of mine and he also said he heard of a gang or two in those areas. Can any residents clarify this????

I honestly havent really been to Carlsbad or Encinitas too much but everytime i go i NEVER see any sign of there being a "hood" or a "gang" there at all. It seems to be very residential and upscale. recently we've been looking at some condos in Carlsbad that are surprising very affordable, but now im a bit worried are they cheap cuz they are in the "gang section" of Carlsbad?? LOL seems weird even typing that. But that LIL Rob guy looked pretty scary on the cover. LOL!

can anyone clarify gangs in Carlsbad or Encinitas??? And if so who are there enemies???? Cuz i just dont see any gang there having any enemies considering how nice it is up there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 01:57 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,016,161 times
Yes there are "gangs" here. More so in Carlsbad, but also in Encinitas. I put gangs in quotation marks because they don't rise to the level of the Bloods and Crips, but they do engage in drug sales, vandalism, car burglary and auto theft. There is one operating in the area of Leucadia commonly called Tortilla Flats. I don't know the Carlsbad groups, but they are in the Latino barrio areas.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:31 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,834,876 times
There used to be a gang in Encinitas around '91-'93 called ENC, thought to be affiliated with the MM. Not sure if they're still around.

Edit: Per this link, looks like ENC is still around
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/ar...3223c18b9.html

Edit Again: Looks like what Encinitan was referring to as Tortilla Flats is the same group as ENC per the article. They have been around for a long time, and they are a real gang.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:01 PM

7,152 posts, read 18,378,928 times
Yes there are gangs in both Encinitas and Carlsbad, and yes they are violent.

REGION: Encinitas gang members linked to two shootings in Carlsbad

Gang suspects indicted in drug ring

More Arrests in Carlsbad Gang Murder - San Diego 6 (http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Carlsbad-Park-Homicide-Encinitas-resident-arrests/sycgwMImyEGuFlhi3o6cuQ.cspx - broken link)

Old 03-19-2010, 12:34 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,612,411 times
Yes, Carlsbad has a Barrio close to downtown CB, I've been there before for a festival. But that was like 7 years ago, not sure how it is today though. It was just like any other ghetto in San Diego from what I remember.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:04 AM

7,413 posts, read 3,373,546 times
Gangs in San Diego county! Those are a bunch of surfers playing "gangster." San Diego county has probably the the least amount of gang activity of any county in SoCal except maybe Ventura & Santa Barbara counties.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 AM

7,152 posts, read 18,378,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Gangs in San Diego county! Those are a bunch of surfers playing "gangster."
You're clueless, but that's OK.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:33 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,612,411 times
Surfer gangsters??: Now that's funny.

Seriously, have you watched the one of the most recent episodes of Gangland on the History Channel? It featured the hood, Logan Heights or "Barrio Logan". It talked about the gang from Logan, they're simple called LH and have different sets, one of those sets is called the "Red Steps" and once upon a time ago, LH had 400 gang members. The episode is titled "Assassins" and talked about how Logan gangsters worked for the drug cartels TJ, and how the gangsters had military training which taught them how to use high powered weapons, and basic military squad tactics to hunt and kill rival drug cartels in the region. They also sold drugs on the streets of SD that were smuggled through the border for the Ariellno Felix cartel. SD has a quit a few gangs that have deep history, OTNC "Old Town National City" is one of the oldest ones. Founded in or around the 1930's and 40's the Pachuco era. SD gangs are not as crazy or as dangerous as LA gangs, mainly because they are housed in certain small area's of SD, and cops can monitor them much easier. But in LA, gangs are everywhere, and LA is a massive city that's very spread out, it's almost impossible for cops to ever gain an upper hand on the gangs, because they're so many of them.

Gang crime in SD has dropped, because of all the gang injunctions the city has enforced. They are cracking down pretty hard locally, but that doesn't mean gang related crime is completely gone, that will never happen.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,373,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Surfer gangsters??: Now that's funny.

Seriously, have you watched the one of the most recent episodes of Gangland on the History Channel? It featured the hood, Logan Heights or "Barrio Logan". It talked about the gang from Logan, they're simple called LH and have different sets, one of those sets is called the "Red Steps" and once upon a time ago, LH had 400 gang members. The episode is titled "Assassins" and talked about how Logan gangsters worked for the drug cartels TJ, and how the gangsters had military training which taught them how to use high powered weapons, and basic military squad tactics to hunt and kill rival drug cartels in the region. They also sold drugs on the streets of SD that were smuggled through the border for the Ariellno Felix cartel. SD has a quit a few gangs that have deep history, OTNC "Old Town National City" is one of the oldest ones. Founded in or around the 1930's and 40's the Pachuco era. SD gangs are not as crazy or as dangerous as LA gangs, mainly because they are housed in certain small area's of SD, and cops can monitor them much easier. But in LA, gangs are everywhere, and LA is a massive city that's very spread out, it's almost impossible for cops to ever gain an upper hand on the gangs, because they're so many of them.

Gang crime in SD has dropped, because of all the gang injunctions the city has enforced. They are cracking down pretty hard locally, but that doesn't mean gang related crime is completely gone, that will never happen.
I am aware that there is gang activity in San Diego. My grandmother & aunt\cousins live in Rancho Penasquitos where the only gang members are middle school knuckle-heads. That is more typical of San Diego than heavyweight criminals but they do exist. I am not boasting that one has to come to Los Angeles to see real gangs but in both cities, gangs prey on each other. 99% of gang killings are of opposing gang members. The racial character of gangs in the Harbor City is due mainly to fighting over the narcotic trade. Not that innocent people don't get killed. A student at Poly Tech high in Long Beach was killed walking out of a football game because a fool behind her made gang signs to a passing car of cholos. Little kids get killed in the middle of gang shootings in parks or just walking down the street. But gang members don't go out just to kill normal people esp when they want to sell dope.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:57 PM

12,761 posts, read 10,811,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Gangs in San Diego county! Those are a bunch of surfers playing "gangster." San Diego county has probably the the least amount of gang activity of any county in SoCal except maybe Ventura & Santa Barbara counties.
You know nothing about San Diego LOL. I can list off a lot of gangs, bloods, crips and latino in various areas of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego