U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-04-2007, 09:54 PM

3 posts, read 8,715 times
Question Affordable housing halfway between SDSU and Pt. Loma

My daughter and her best friend will be moving to San Diego this summer. My daughter will have a car and go to Pt. Loma Naz and her friend will be walking/biking/bus riding to SDSU. We have looked in the North Park area, but just looked at the crime stats, and it seems high. Where would you look for a really safe, really affordable neighborhood? We looked at Talmadge and sort of liked that, but were hoping for something more centrally located...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-04-2007, 10:52 PM

232 posts, read 511,242 times
Mom,

Moving from where? That makes a big difference in what is considered "affordable". Your girl and her friend may find rooms to rent and that is not too bad, about $400 per month at a minimum, but she may have to pay her utilities etc as well. So. Cal is almost prohibatively expensive if you have not lived here for 10+ years. (these are the folks who managed to buy homes when prices were semi resonable and so avoid one of the biggest pitfalls of being in the state). I earn almost 60k a year and I honestly don't believe I could afford to live in a semi decent area if my housing was not included in my employment package .

Crime rates vary quite a lot according to the area you are in, might wanna think about giving the local police station a call and chatting with them a bit to get a feel for the place.

If you are directly on the beach or have a LARGE amount of capital, life is good. For some incredibly beautiful pics look at the San Diego picture thread.
The whole let's drive, freeway thing was created by a masochist however. The smallest glitch can leave you stuck on the road for very long periods of time.

I know the thread is a little down, but sometimes too many people tell you how great things are and you do not receive a sense of perspective.

I hope you find everything you are looking for and please do give the local PD a call. =)

Unread 06-04-2007, 10:57 PM

Thanks for your reply. We are also thinking about normal heights. They are moving from Temecula, and are looking to spend between 900 - 1300 on rent.

Unread 06-05-2007, 12:41 PM

2,876 posts, read 6,062,328 times
By centrally located, I'll presume you mean equi-distant between PL Naz and SDSU.

Your daughter will have a tough drive to Naz anywhere she lives thats not in Ocean Beach. Being more centrally located between the schools won't help her much at all, but will substantially impact the other girl who has only a couple of good mass transit options for getting to SDSU.

If you don't want to rent in Talmadge, I would suggest something in Little Italy. From that location your daughter could take Harbor Drive pretty easily into Point Loma, and the other girl could hop onto the Trolley to SDSU. However, finding something in your price range may take some hunting, and it will definitely be near the top of that range.

There might be some condos for rent in Mission Valley that are near to a trolley stop, but you'll have to check into that because I'm not sure where the condos are in relation to the trolley stops. It could be a pretty long walk across very busy roads, and large shopping mall parking lots. However, your daughter will still have a commute that's not much better than the one she'd have living in Talmadge.

I also know that one of the bus routes that starts at SDSU travels along El Cajon Boulevard, which was probably behind your North Park idea. Given that is a 'no go', that would also rule out Normal Heights south of Adams. The only other area that I can see that might work by being close to the El Cajon Boulevard bus line that travels to SDSU and being a little bit closer to Point Loma, would be University Heights, north of Washington and west of Park. Look on streets like North, Campus, and Cleveland. There's a bit of a hidden area in there that is generally clean and safe.

The one thing you don't want is for the other girl to have to do a bus transfer to get to school. It just eats up too much time.

Unread 06-05-2007, 11:59 PM

Thank you for your advice. We will be in San diego on Thursday, and will drive those communities. I appreciate your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego