U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:17 PM

54 posts, read 96,359 times
Thank you for your post, Encinitan. One of the things that made my wife and I want to throw up is the constant sense of entitlement that is seen in Newport Beach. Every car in the Newport Coast area is a Bentley, Ferrari, etc. I like seeing the old classic Woodys, other classic cars. Things that have character and charm, not necessarily things that are just "in your face" all the time. If you have ever heard the book "Ferdinand: the Bull", Ferdinand is a wonderful personification of how my wife and I view life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 05:52 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,217,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDad View Post
My wife and I, are planning on relocating to San Diego from Newport Beach(don't worry, we aren't those types of people). We wanted to ask those familar with the area, what beach city is best for my wife and I. I will give you some characteristics about us, and hopefully someone can help us out.

1. We are both artists, and love to paint

2. We are both laid back people(Type B), and like things that move at a snails pace(if that's even possible anymore in So. Cal)

3. We love to surf

4. We like meeting people from all walks of life, ...NICE PEOPLE!!!!

5. We are very quiet and introspective people, with a "less is more" mentality

6. We would ideally like to live in North San Diego

7. Hobbies include surfing, painting, music, Yoga, helping out in various charitable causes, going to the movies,golfing, bowling, and just enjoying reading quietly and peacefully by the ocean

8. We are both pretty health conscious and active people

9. Money is no object

10. We are pretty moderate in our political beliefs

What San Diego beach city would be best for my wife and I? Thank you!
Obviously La Jolla should be a consideration though surf & beaches are smaller than surrounding beach cities. But for sheer beauty & great neighborhoods\ restaurants, La Jolla can't be matched anywhere else in San Diego county. All the beach cities from Carlsbad to Del Mar are great for what you are looking for.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,953,217 times
Quote:
Thank you for your post, Encinitan. One of the things that made my wife and I want to throw up is the constant sense of entitlement that is seen in Newport Beach. Every car in the Newport Coast area is a Bentley, Ferrari, etc. I like seeing the old classic Woodys, other classic cars. Things that have character and charm, not necessarily things that are just "in your face" all the time. If you have ever heard the book "Ferdinand: the Bull", Ferdinand is a wonderful personification of how my wife and I view life.
I think you'll like the Encinitas area, as it seems to fit what you're looking for in many respects. I lived/worked in and around Newport Beach for 10 years, so I know what you mean about the conspicuous consumption up there. Not so much down here. You're much more likely to see a sweet restored old VW bus or woody cruising down Coast Highway (the huge Wavecrest Woodie show is held at Moonlight Beach every September). There may be a Ferrari or BMW mixed in sometimes.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,296,893 times
I'm not sure if anyone should continue to waste their time on this thread. The Op stated on the Las Vegas forum that he already lives in Encinitas. He also stated that he has no kids on the Las Vegas forum, but then stated that he has two kids on the Hawaii forum. I'm not sure what his motives are, but I wouldn't waste my time trying to help him any further.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:07 PM

I am going down this weekend to visit the meditation gardens. Being an introspective person, I was told this would be a great place to meditate, pray or just see the beauty of nature. I have heard nothing but incredible things about this place. I can't wait to check it out.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,953,217 times
Quote:
I am going down this weekend to visit the meditation gardens. Being an introspective person, I was told this would be a great place to meditate, pray or just see the beauty of nature. I have heard nothing but incredible things about this place. I can't wait to check it out.
It is an awesome place. I think on Sundays, from 2 to 5, they have the Yogi's old residence open to visitors. Not totally sure, but it's only open to the public during those times so might be worth a visit. You could probably call ahead to confirm. It's right next to the gardens which are open more regularly.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:11 PM

Mark 311: I am not a liar, so I don't appreciate being accused of one. My wife has two opportunites for work, one would be in the Las Vegas area, and the other would be in North San Diego Area. Our "kids" are our dogs, so I apologize if that was confusing.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,296,893 times
Quote:
Mark 311: I am not a liar, so I don't appreciate being accused of one. My wife has two opportunites for work, one would be in the Las Vegas area, and the other would be in North San Diego Area. Our "kids" are our dogs, so I apologize if that was confusing.
Sorry if I'm mistaken. I just didn't want other people to waste their time trying to give you advice if you weren't genuine. You did state that you already live in Encinitas in the Vegas forum. I found that most confusing. A quote from your post in the Hawaii forum was "We have two lovely girls, both of whom are straight A students, and have attended Calvary Chapel Christian Schools here." I get that it's the Internet, but there are some good people on these forums that are genuinely trying to help other people. Keeping the integrity up here gives them the motivation to continue helping people with their questions.

Last edited by mark311; 03-29-2010 at 09:00 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 05:04 PM

334 posts, read 625,930 times
I lived in Newport Beach during college, and I must say I met more bulls**ter's there than anyplace I have ever lived my entire life including Hollywood. It is a very surreal (and not in a good way) place and personally I avoid it at all costs.

My sister in law grew up there so occasionally I have to go there for family functions and it is like going into a Terry Gilliam movie. And it has only gotten worse since I lived there. I feel like I have to take a shower after leaving Newport from all the artificiality.

I always liked Corona Del Mar and Laguna, but haven't been to either place in a few years so not too sure if the mega-conspicuous consumption has invaded those places yet.

I hope San Diego is a bit more understated than Newport Beach. I am also considering a relocation there from the SF Bay Area.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:14 PM

5 posts, read 6,984 times
Thanks all - we bought in Encinitas - close in two months and can't wait. We would have been happy I think in Cardiff, Solana Beach or Leucadia as well. But the Cardiff housing available was very close to the 5 - very noisy, Solana was a little high price wise compared to Leucadia and Encinitas. House size is half of what we could have had in Carlsbad, but we have a large yard with grill station, outdoor fireplace, jacuzzi, gazebo and all kinds of fruit trees - huge patio etc..... so essentially we traded indoor square footage for outdoor square footage. We have not met neighbors yet - house is N of Encinitas Blvd and between El Camino and Rancho Santa Fe. Can't wait to get there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego