U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:01 AM

963 posts, read 1,442,028 times
Default Downtown SD was on and poppin tonight!!

Hey guys, I know I don't really post too many threads all that often, but I had to let people know how crowded and crazy downtown was tonight. It was jammed packed everywhere!! I went to a couple of clubs with friends ( Belo and Onyx).

A huge spring break concert was at the SD Sports Arena tonight that had Bobby Valentino, Fabulous, Flo-Rida, Soulja Boy, The Dream and couple other Hip Hop artist, and the after party was at the club "On Broadway". So fabulous was there probably performing live on stage. Dang I wish I knew earlier today that he was gonna be there, because I would've definitely hit up On Broadway, of course it had to be sold out and a mile long line out the door

But anyways if any of you haven't hit up downtown for awhile, I suggest you do especially during the upcoming months since summer is right around the corner, it's just going to get even more crazy.

A lot of people say SD doesn't have a nightlife, I think they're insanely stupid!, yes we do have a nightlife that's very active. Just take a trip on any given Friday- Saturday night, make sure it's around the middle of the month though when people have more money to spend and see what I'm talkin about.

At the same time, I saw a lot of closed up shops and businesses, lot of for lease signs, or businesses that were there a few months ago, are now gone. Homeless panhandlers were out and about, sleeping in front of closed businesses was a common sight. I saw a couple of Jamaican dudes on the street singing playing a guitar and bongo's, it was pretty cool.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt like I had to let people know about SD's nightlife and great it is. I was only in and around the Gaslamp Quarter, didn't check out Little Italy, North Park, Hillcrest, or East Village, but I am sure those places were also full of people clubbin and wining and dining their brains out.

Last edited by sdlife619; 03-21-2010 at 04:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 04:40 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,659,151 times
It's ok to post while drunk, I've done it too...lol

Yes of course SD has a night life, most big cities do. But for me, it seems I did too much of the club scene in my 20s (I used to DJ) that I'm totally burnt on it now, in my 30s.

It sounds like you had a blast, and that's what matters

Old 03-21-2010, 07:23 PM

7,060 posts, read 17,427,164 times
I didn't think anyone still said "on and poppin'" anymore... I just had a flashback to high school ;-)

Old 03-21-2010, 08:08 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,896,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I didn't think anyone still said "on and poppin'" anymore... I just had a flashback to high school ;-)
I hear it every now and then sass

Old 03-21-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Lol, well I could of said "Crackin", but what the hell. Yeah I was pretty faded, I'm surprised I wrote without a whole bunch of misspelled words. Spell check really came through for me.

And yes, cool peoples still say "On and poppin", well at least my black homies still do.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 AM

2,495 posts, read 5,259,454 times
Times like this make me thankful for urbandictionary.com....

"Poppin(g)" to me usually has something to do with corn. Or balloons. Or pimples.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,378,987 times
As you said, it will get even more vibrant as the weather starts to warm up. Downtown at night is cool. Tourists, locals and residents all sharing the same space makes for alot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto
Careful, Sass, you are probably starting to sound like your Dad!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:15 AM

10,129 posts, read 12,666,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer619 View Post
Yeah, SD has some great nightlife spots. The Gaslamp is obviously where most of it is, but there are great spots in PB, Hillcrest, and near SDSU as well.

But SD's nightlife isn't nearly as exciting nor is there as much as LA's. You can find a hot spot almost anywhere in the city up there and most of the clubs/bars stay open several hours later than SD. I personally wouldn't live in LA, but if I was looking for a really good time, I would go up there.

SD seems to actually have a low amount of nightlife for a city it's size, but don't get me wrong, what it does have is pretty decent.
That's not really true at all, all bars and clubs in CA have to stop serving alcohol by 2am, LA is no different. I've been up there numerous times and nearly everywhere had the same 130/145am last call as everywhere else in CA. Some places might let you hang around while not serving booze for a little while but not that many places even do that in LA. But yeah, LA does have more nightlife, that's kind of a give considering it's the nation's 2nd largest city.

I really don't get why some people say SD has a low amount of night life for it's size b/c compared to other similar sized cities it has just as much if not more. Denver, Minneapolis, Tampa, Phoenix, etc...do not have more nightlife than SD. For it's size, SD actually ranks fairly well for nightlife (#11):

Best City For Singles: Best Nightlife - Forbes.com

Old 03-23-2010, 12:10 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,463,019 times
Would love to experience San Diego nightlife at it's finest..............Probably put's Charlotte, NC nightlife to shame...Beats the "h#ll" out of Charlotte any night of the week.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Would love to experience San Diego nightlife at it's finest..............Probably put's Charlotte, NC nightlife to shame...Beats the "h#ll" out of Charlotte any night of the week.

You bet SD's nightlife beats Charlotte's. It destroys it!! I remember going to downtown Charlotte or uptown as they call it, and it sucked you know what

The clubs were garbage, and it didn't feel hip at all compared to San Diego, the people were lame, it was sorta dead too. Downtown SD is jammed packed full of people on any given weekend night. It's almost like a totally different world. We have a lot of clubs, restaurants, and bars for everybody to choose from. All different types of people from your older sophisticated crowed to young people partying it up. Homeless guys asking you for change, to your run aways playing pretty good live music for money right in front of a movie theater.

You also have to remember that SD (for it's size) has other really good hot spots to party, which makes us unique in a sense because other cities usually only have one or 2 places for it's nightlife, and San Diego has like 3 or 4 places. But downtown is mainly where it's all at. You also can't forget about TJ, which is wilder and more exciting than here.

Of course I'm not going to even dare compare us to LA or other big cities, because San Diego is so much smaller and cannot compete with likes of LA since LA is so huge of a metro, you literally have endless amounts of places to party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego