Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 5,524 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

Long story short,dont want to bore anyone.I am originally from MN,and 2 years ago I lost my A/C job.

A company in las vegas hired me for a 2 yr stint,and I have completed that project.I need to get out of this city immediately,lol or atleast within the next couple months.

Im not the normal candidate on this site asking for advice,as i have not found a job yet,but have 17 yrs in the HVAC industry,and have enough money to survive about 1 year,barring absolutely nothing coming my way,including a pt job which i would seek anyways

I have visited san diego,and its surrounding areas 11 times in the last 2 years,and enjoy driving my harley in your city,and the coast

I only have a couple requests,and would really appreciate any input

1) Although I am considered blue-collar,I choose to not live in any "suspect areas " and would appreciate only clean,and safer environments.I rent a 1 bedroom condo w/ garage now for 1200.00,and this suits me just fine,as I am very quiet,but do enjoy my weekends.

2) Access to shopping,strip malls,quieter settings yet still somewhat developed,I have always liked the scenery anyways of the vista/escondido/oceanside,but have read alot of posts on here,saying to not live in those places

I am not wealthy,and will never be wealthy,but i do like to seek out a cleaner,and safer communities,and have been pretty succesful,but i dont know san diego well,as with las vegas i had a friend here,and visited with him before moving,and accepting my last job

In a nutshell,I guess im a little contradictory with my wants,but I am described as blue collar with fine wine tastes,if that makes any sense at all.I just would like to find a community with lower rents,but yet also safer than others.I own a nice truck,motorcycle,and really dont want to live anywhere that i have to worry about them each night

eventually working mon-fri,my weekends have always been reserved for driving around with the bike,and the ride from oceanside to san diego has always been really pleasant,and sundays are just for getting groceries,maybe seeing a movie,or relaxing with my dog at a park is all i need

Sorry for rambling,but my lease is up May 1,2010,and I am reserving the U Haul regardless,and heading south on I15

As alot of californians know las vegas has only really a few pockets of very quiet areas,and the rent can be found if you know where to look.I live in summerlin now,and pay 1200.00.Yes its small,but i can leave my garage door open,and my stuff will be there in the morning

Safe vs Size or amenities is my desire

Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 PM

13 posts, read 58,059 times
Check out La Mesa. I moved here about 6 months ago and I love it so far. The rent in La Mesa is a bit cheaper than neighborhoods closer to downtown but the houses and apartments all seem pretty nice. I'm from a small town but I definitely feel safe walking around here and the La Mesa downtown reminds me of home. My apartment is fairly close to a decent shopping center and there are lots of good restaurants nearby, I have easy access to the trolley and public transportation, and getting downtown or to the beach is only about a 15-20 minute drive.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,524 times
sandiegosavvy,

thanks for the recommendation,and i think im waking up early tomorrow and make a day trip to check out rancho bernardo,la mesa,and carlsbad areas

kind of a triangular route,but found a listing in carlsbad,and someone told me if i didnt need the ocean every day,to check out rancho,,and ive never been that close or east of san diego like la mesa is located,so thanks again

I can kinda get a feel for a place with a little driving/observing,but my buddy here in las vegas thought he lived in a nice quaint area also,,until about 2 months later,and he was robbed(laptop,cd's) and yes i am well aware that this happens everywhere,just getting the locals advice

Thanks again

Old 03-27-2010, 05:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldblu View Post
sandiegosavvy,

thanks for the recommendation,and i think im waking up early tomorrow and make a day trip to check out rancho bernardo,la mesa,and carlsbad areas

kind of a triangular route,but found a listing in carlsbad,and someone told me if i didnt need the ocean every day,to check out rancho,,and ive never been that close or east of san diego like la mesa is located,so thanks again

I can kinda get a feel for a place with a little driving/observing,but my buddy here in las vegas thought he lived in a nice quaint area also,,until about 2 months later,and he was robbed(laptop,cd's) and yes i am well aware that this happens everywhere,just getting the locals advice

Thanks again
Carsbad is awesome but might be a little expensive for you. La Mesa would be my pick considering everything.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego