Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 01:50 PM

36 posts, read 99,978 times

Advertisements

Hello - we are moving back to San Diego this summer (been gone for seven years) and now have two small children. My husband will be at Miramar for 3-4 years, and we just plan to rent. We have seen some nice homes for rent, but trying to decide which is the best neighborhood for us. We assume we'll be spending in the $3K range for rent. So far our thoughts are as below, but very open to other options:

What we like/want in a community:

- new homes or fully remodeled (we like hardwood floors)
- ability to walk to some stuff
- kid friendly parks
- family friendly, neighborhoods with lots of younger kids
- friendly people! neighbors who like to socialize
- less than 30 minute commute to Miramar
- safe, safe, safe
- schools are less important since we homeschool, but it seems the neighborhoods we like have good schools anyway.

Neighborhoods we are considering:

4S Ranch: Small yards a con (but benefit being less yard work), fabulous parks including a splash park, great community pool with boys & girls clubs, walk to shops, food, restaurants, good commute to Miramar, new homes, very safe.

Scripps Ranch: We lived there before, liked it, more expensive rent, great farmer's market, parks and pools not as good as 4S Ranch, best commute of all, older/smaller homes for the same rent $

Rancho Penasquitos: Don't know a lot about it other than I have a friend who really likes it.

Carmel Mountain Ranch: Same as RP - we used to like shopping there at the Costco etc.

Any advice between these? We're most drawn to 4S Ranch because of the amenities for small kids and ability to walk to great parks and such, but since this will be a long term rental, I want to make sure I'm thinking everything through. Also, not sure if there are other neighborhoods that fit all our criteria.

I appreciate any advice to be offered! TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:15 PM

36 posts, read 99,978 times
Just a friendly bump. We seem to be deciding between two homes - one in 4S Ranch and one in Scripps Ranch. Does anyone have comments on whether 4S Ranch seems a bit more "small children" friendly vs Scripps?

We appreciate any advice! We're so excited to get back into San Diego - we loved it the first time we lived there - and want to make the most of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego