Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:40 AM

313 posts, read 1,149,036 times

Advertisements

Jicalle,

You are right on the nose there with accessment of self centeredness...and it is very child centered in regards to parents raising the kids....parents have no respect from the kids. They call the grown-ups by their first names!! There is this striving to be "popular" for one's own benefit....more important than doing the right thing. Very worrisome and sad for the parents and the kids....I shutter to think what this generation will grow up to be like. I hope at least I will be back to my home state by then...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:25 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Well what you all are saying is happening in alot of other places. The big problem i see is the direction that kids have- there are droves of parents leading kids down the road of "do what makes you happy" meaning there is not alot of discipline- I'm not talking military discipline holding your kids hostage to what you want. Now whether that happens more in So. Cal than other places is debatable.

Parents aren't holding themselves accountable for the aimless example and direction that they give to their children and they play the blame game when their kids performance is not up to par- its the teacher, its the coach, its the principal, the superintendant. So in 10 years it becomes the police, the city and everyone else. Granted, CA plan and assessment of its educational needs is flawed- I've digressed quite a bit about it already in alot of other posts, but our state continues to cram 30-35 kids in classrooms and is by my last check the 47th state in per-pupil spending, but they monitor testing like hawks and make life miserable for teachers in districts that need help. When this place becomes a hole and people leave, i guess it will matter less because less people will be effected.

Back on track here, I think the good times of this past decade and the 90s have blurred this direction quite a bit. Education is less valued while the end result is highlighted and magnified more. I think alot of grown-ups had an easier time making money and making ends meet without an education- and some are boastful about it. Doing well in HS and Getting a college degree is not a guarenteed golden ticket to prosperity, but those who have achieved will tell you it makes things easier.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 AM

313 posts, read 1,149,036 times
Absolutely no doubt it happens other places too....just seems here in in southern CA more pronounced and more the norm. Doesnt help that the culture at large embraces the "all about me" mentality.

I think in the south, the standards in behavior in showing respect and manners is expected when you raise your kids. Out here in CA, when a child is mannerly and well behaved...everyone is amazed...like how did that happen? It is called parenting and being the role model for your kids to be decent, caring, respectful people that contributes responsibly in the society we live. The culture out here doesnt support those values.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:30 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
"Absolutely no doubt it happens other places too....just seems here in in southern CA more pronounced and more the norm. Doesnt help that the culture at large embraces the "all about me" mentality."

I agree runnergrl. You can add adults or adults that may as well be kids around here too. And I sadly draw conclusions a little too quickly (sometimes), but I have a major problem taking alot of adults around here with the way they dress and act. I'm under 30 and there are times that I feel old-fashioned here- when I think i'd fit right in to many places.

If the general pace wasn't so slow and the climate so hot- I'd love the south.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:47 PM

46 posts, read 148,520 times
i find the children of military personnel to be well mannered and motivated (probably because they weren't raised in california). several of our children's coaches have been military members, and we live in a top-notch school district near the coast.

frankly, i find the least involved parents seem to be the 2 income professional types. try getting them to volunteer or help out after a long day commuting. they are exhausted.

i understand looking for a great school district, but i would never discriminate against military households...or consider them a negative when looking for a home.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:14 AM

334 posts, read 1,067,453 times
Well thats a refreshing note about the military households. I just want my daughter to be in a stable neighborhood without a lot of turnover if that makes sense. It keeps the schools and property values higher when people stay put for awhile and create community.

I am not sure rude children are a product of California only. I think it is an epidemic in the country due to many families struggling to make ends meet and not spending quality time with their kids to teach them how to behave properly or maybe they are just lazy.

My almost 2 year old is already saying thank you to people when they do something for her...probably because she hears her parents saying please and thank you all the time.

Although we are still working on her saying "please".

Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,289 times
San Diego has great school districts throughout. If you're looking for schools with excellent reputations, high API scores, and lots of parent involvement, you can't go wrong with the Del Mar, Poway Unified (Carmel Valley), and La Jolla districts.

These areas would also be an excellent place to fulfill your desire for an intellectual community (particularly La Jolla). They are all in close proximity to UCSD, one of the nations leading research universities, and its staff of intellectual internationals all live within the surrounding area. The surrounding Sorrento Mesa, Mira Mesa, and University City areas also contain several major research institutions, and a wealth of successful bio-tech companies. Not to mention a large number of top of the line research and teaching hospitals.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 04-07-2010 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: NO REALTOR ADVERTISING
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego