Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 04:39 PM

6 posts, read 9,416 times

Advertisements

Hey peoples,

Long story short, I work for a large company and have been based out of Minnesota for the past few years. I've always, always wanted to move out to Cali since I first visited it in 2003 and pretty much every single time after. I wouldnt say that the opportunity arised in the perfect moment, but nonetheless it has come up for me to be able to move to the SD area.
The Minnesnowta cold finally got to me, along with going through a divorce after 8 years of marriage and seeing my real estate investments go up in the smoke, and now I've decided its time to move. I applied for a job (via internal transferring) in the La Jolla area and low and behold I think it might just work out.

The good news; Its like a dream come true. Great company, decent pay of $75k - $80k annually + bonuses, wonderful area, great career decision.

The bad: They may want me there in as soon as 2 weeks from Monday. I was totally caught off guard and was planning something near August or September, I know absolutely no body (although meeting new people has never been a problem), I still have a lot of loose ends from the divorce, the investment properties left here in MN. And financially Im not exactly in the best situation although the company will most likely provide a relocation package.

I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to pull through just fine since I'm used to living a life of chaos. But I guess at this point I just needed to vent LOL! Looking forward to a life where 9 months of it doesnt involve going to the Mall of America, watching movies, movies and more movies, and ultimately staying indoors. Not a winter kinda person thats for sure!

I'm a single guy at the age of 28, looking for something nice in or near La Jolla for about $1500/mo. I've been looking through craigslist and there's some decent stuff out there, but its all grey to me since I'm not there to physically see any of it. If you have any suggestions or helpful tips, lemme know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 04:46 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
Here's a nice place near the beach in La Jolla: 2 bed, 1 bath cottage in La Jolla (Windandsea, Bird Rock area) (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/1678161030.html - broken link)

Since the listing doesn't provide a map here's a link to the location:
472 Rosemont St - Google Maps

Old 04-11-2010, 09:36 AM

455 posts, read 1,118,268 times
Get ready for a change of weather! You will laugh at people wearing puffy coats when it reaches 40 degrees...and then you will become one.

Traffic can be bad because there are some major traffic arteries that get clogged up during rush hour, so location of your job vs. distance to amenities vs. residence/rental is very important. If you tell us whereabouts your job is located, and more about yourself, it might help.

Any of the coastal areas will give you some of the best characteristics of San Diego. Search for old posts about these areas.

Try meetup.com for activities in the area. I found some great get-togethers for hiking, kayaking, wine-tasting, and numerous events, to get to know the area since I really didn't know much people.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:06 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,697,306 times
Congrats and welcome! Windansea beach is one of (if not the) most beautiful beaches in SD.

It may be hectic to get here, but well worth it.

And by the way, the only people who use the term "Cali" are people who do not leave here.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:59 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
And by the way, the only people who use the term "Cali" are people who do not leave here.
Very true. To the OP, lose the "Cali" before you get here! We use all four syllables.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:24 PM

6 posts, read 9,416 times
Hahaha thanks guys, I'll drop the "Cali" just for you!
Also thanks for all the info. As far as my job goes it will be near Balboa kinda near Clairemont. I guess its close to a shopping center in the vicinity. We're not 100% sure thats where my placement will be, but it'll be either there or deeper inside La Jolla.
Btw 50 degrees is T-Shirt weather in Minneapolis
I've made a commitment to myself to fly back out to Minneapolis every 2 years around January just so I can step out of the airport and remind myself why I left the place, then step right back in the airport and fly back to San Diego. But thanks for all the advice guys, so far it looks like a decision I wont be regretting. Would have made it sooner if I could of.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:37 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Do you have an address or the name of a street where your job will be yet?

Old 04-11-2010, 11:48 PM

111 posts, read 460,960 times
La Jolla is a really nice area, can't go wrong there. Be sure to check out the La Jolla Cove beach:
La Jolla Cove

Balboa near Clairemont area is OK too, middle class, working families. Exactly at the corner of Balboa and Clairemont is kind of busy with traffic because it is a major intersection.

I guess the only thing I would warn you is that maybe your new job is not secure: what if you drop everything in Minneapolis, rush over here, and then find that you don't like the job or that the job doesn't like you? Unemployment is high, so if you loose your new job, it might be tough to find a new one. However, without know what you do, it is hard to say one way or another.

Anyway, have a safe trip and enjoy California. Note that La Jolla is pronounced La Hoy-ya with the J pronounced as a H (that's Spanish) and I don't know what happened to the double L to make it sound like double Y.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego