Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 04:29 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,819,772 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice everybody, I think I kind of expected to take a little paycut. But honestly what I heard about it easier to get a job because of a lower base salary makes me feel a little better. I'm more than happy to start out of college making a little bit less in a city I really want to live. I can build my career from there and gain more experience. At my age, it is more imporant for me to be in a city of my choice than to make an extra 5-7k per year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 05:37 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,819,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I have searched and it looks like an average salary for a Chemical Engineer out of college makes about 65,000-70,000 dollars.
From talking to friends who are ChemE the typical BS level pay is much less here in SD. 50-55k is probably more realistic depending on your experience/expertise. Thats still pretty good money out here if you can find a job, but without a handful of cash (20% down) you're not likely to get a house anytime soon.

The reality of SD is that there are a number of people with advanced degrees and great credentials that are willing to pay the sunshine tax and the housing market is so screwed that without a ton of cash you are going to start out in condo. I have lived here for 2 years now and have an MD/PhD with a BS in ChemE and have been renting since I moved here. I know a lot of people with similar degrees and years of experience that are sitting on their skills in this market. With no real economic indication of better times in the area there is always going to be an enormous level of competition here.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:20 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,819,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
From talking to friends who are ChemE the typical BS level pay is much less here in SD. 50-55k is probably more realistic depending on your experience/expertise. Thats still pretty good money out here if you can find a job, but without a handful of cash (20% down) you're not likely to get a house anytime soon.

The reality of SD is that there are a number of people with advanced degrees and great credentials that are willing to pay the sunshine tax and the housing market is so screwed that without a ton of cash you are going to start out in condo. I have lived here for 2 years now and have an MD/PhD with a BS in ChemE and have been renting since I moved here. I know a lot of people with similar degrees and years of experience that are sitting on their skills in this market. With no real economic indication of better times in the area there is always going to be an enormous level of competition here.
On a different note, that's pretty cool you also have a chemE degree. Just wondering, what do you think about going the MBa route?

Is it really that hard to find work as a Chemical Engineer? Do you have any advice about the field?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:38 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,361,645 times
Plan on 50-55k and 50% of income to housing. That puts you about in the 1500/mo range which will get you a decent apartment in a decent part of town.

Don't listen to the naysayers... you have a ChemE degree and they don't. A lot of people can't really fathom how rare and in-demand a degree like that actually is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego