U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 12:45 PM

53 posts, read 97,817 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job at UCSD on January 25th. On February 15th I was told my application made it past the first screening. On Feb 24rd I had a phone interview. On March 3rd I was flown in for a face to face interview on their dime (total trip cost was nearly 1k). They said they would make a decision in 2 weeks. I contacted them after two weeks and was told the recruitment was ongoing. I waited three more weeks and contacted them again and was given the same story. The positives were when I made contact the hiring manager contacted me the same day. He also accepted my LinkedIn invitation within minutes. I have never worked in a school before is this normal? It has now been 6 weeks since I interviewed and I know for a fact the position is still open.

Is anyone who works at UCSD willing to share their experience? Any opinions welcome. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 01:07 PM

12,774 posts, read 23,545,607 times
It doesn't happen immediately, they take their time.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:54 PM

2,752 posts, read 4,672,708 times
You are lucky to have the hiring manager as a linkedin friend. Just send him a mail saying something like "UCSB (or similar employer) asked me if I can start next month. I'm not sure what to tell them. I really want to work for you at UCSD but I haven't heard anything lately. Am I still being considered?"

If it sounds too aggressive, it's not. You've waited long enough. Good or bad... you deserve to know your status.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 PM

53 posts, read 97,817 times
Thank you to both of you for replying. To cruitr, I am happy to play hardball but not when it means bending the truth. If they called my bluff that I did not have another offer at UCSB or any other employer that would eliminate me as a candidate. The hiring manager always replies to me immediately but never has actually answered any of my questions. I inquire about timelines and specifically when they will make a decision and he responds with things like "you are on the shortlist but the recruitment is ongoing".

What I want to understand is whether or not this is normal for a Senior Management position at a public university? I work at the Director level in the financial industry and even in larger institutions they turnaround is days not weeks/months. To be honest I am just hoping for some insight as to what could possibly take so long. The good news is I already have a job, and I would actually be making 10K less if I moved to San Diego.

Finally with all the time that has elapsed I guess I am concerned, since this is a new position, that maybe they cannot secure the funding they need immediately if at all. I read a story from mid 2009 that claimed UCSD rescinded numerous verbal offers after funding was eliminated.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:48 PM

2,752 posts, read 4,672,708 times
Here's a softer approach: "I just noticed UCSB (or similar employer) has an opening I'm very interested in (or qualified for). I'm not sure if I should apply. I really want to work for you at UCSD but I haven't heard anything lately. Am I still being considered?"

If he tells you to go ahead and apply for the other position, you're not getting the UCSD job. No employer would let you apply somewhere else if they were really interested.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:52 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,802,710 times
My experience with applying for jobs at UCSD in the last 4 years (in the marketing, web writing, news writing and communications fields) has been that they take forever, they are very secretive about where they are in the process and where you stand as an applicant, even after you've been in for one or two interviews. Then one day, you check the UCSD jobs board and it says "no longer under consideration" or "position filled" and you realize you didn't get the job.
Other friends of mine have had similar experiences.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 AM

9 posts, read 26,262 times
My understanding (from "talk around" rather than from personal experience) is that Higher Ed can be like that.. It can take a while from position posting to folks applying/interviewing to person starting, and even then, sometimes another several weeks to person getting paid..

Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 AM

2,624 posts, read 1,533,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Here's a softer approach: "I just noticed UCSB (or similar employer) has an opening I'm very interested in (or qualified for). I'm not sure if I should apply. I really want to work for you at UCSD but I haven't heard anything lately. Am I still being considered?"

If he tells you to go ahead and apply for the other position, you're not getting the UCSD job. No employer would let you apply somewhere else if they were really interested.
Sorry, but i'd say go apply then. That's the kind of bush league stuff that many hiring managers see and poke fun at.

This isn't 1995. I've posted jobs and have gotten 60 resumes in a day and half of those resumes people are too qualified for positions. So you are usually 1 of many applicants that someone may want. Its who you know and who likes you, as tired and true as that sounds.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:24 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,614,992 times
It might be taking longer than usual because UCSD has some serious financial problems right now re pensions, cutbacks, furlough days, pay cuts, etc.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:42 AM

455 posts, read 951,179 times
My wife is new faculty at UCSD. The hiring process moved at a snails pace. It took 6 months between her first interview till acceptance.

Higher Ed. schools and institutes play a different tune compared to industry standards. You can't really push/bully them, because many others want those positions and they'll tell you to go somewhere else (from experience).

I applied to UCSD once and they responded via email to conform that they recieved my application. Never got another follow-up response back after sending more emails and calling HR. I found out later that the posting was taken down and position was never filled, likley due to monetary restrictions. Pretty unprofessional, but they are financially squeezed and I'm sure the HR dept is very busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego