U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:28 PM

51 posts, read 81,409 times

Advertisements

And I am still in the midwest...spinning my wheels it seems. I need advice! I'll try to make this brief and concise as possible.

I am considering relocating to San Diego as a full time student. Since, I've gotten out the Army, it seems I have been going in circles with employment, having to relocate to different states, when in actuality, I've always wanted to just be in California.

I am sick of the wheel spinning, by definition what I am doing is insanity (same actions expecting different results) I want to get my degree as quick as possible and that means no longer making it a part time thing while I work full time.

My issue is, how do I approach this as cautiously, and knowledgeable as possible. I was put on academic probation here (the issues that caused my GPA to slip have since been taken care of and I am fully ready to give school my undivided attention). So I can only take one course for Summer Semester than two in the Fall (if I stay here in Wisconsin).

If anyone would love to offer up their .02, I would greatly appreciate it. I am not sure if this matters or not, but I do also have VA benefits in conjunction with regular financial aid.

My vision is attending school full time to get my associates as soon as possible then transfer to a 4 year in San Diego, working part time if I have to to make ends meet.

Edit: Also, if anyone wants to offer their opinions on which community college I should look into, that would be a great help also. Right now I am on Mesa's website checking it out.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 12:07 AM

14,517 posts, read 13,035,600 times
Hey, if you want my advice, don't worry about getting an associates degree. If you plan to go on for a bachelors degree an associates is usless. Instead of going through the ropes of filling up your credits at a community college, i would recommend you find a university in San Diego (or wherever you want to be) and look at the degree they offer and look at the classes at that track and take classes accordingly to the bachelors degree. Pull off good grades and you won't have to worry.

A community college is a community college, go to the one in your area to save the most money, work your butt off and pull good grades and you can go anywhere you want.

Feel free to ask here or pm me with any other questions you might have, im more than happy to help

Old 04-15-2010, 01:38 AM

I thought that required decent grades on the SAT (I've been out of school since 97 sorry, can't recall) But I think I would have to to go the community college route. What I am trying to figure out (it'll be easier for me once I take my ADHD meds tomorrow, too late to do so tonight, so the brain is a fuzzy) is how to plan this out.

I need to see if I can relocate there, go to school, see if with my financial aid, plus my VA benefits, and perhaps a part time job and a roommate I can survive that way. Oh, and thanks for the response!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:00 AM

What i was saying is that, if you go to a community college (which is a good decision) dont work for an associates.. they are useless, just take the classes you need for your bachelors and get good grades and transfer universites. You won't need SAT so dont even bother taking them

Old 04-15-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
What i was saying is that, if you go to a community college (which is a good decision) dont work for an associates.. they are useless, just take the classes you need for your bachelors and get good grades and transfer universites. You won't need SAT so dont even bother taking them
Ah, sorry for the confusion, yes that is my plan actually! I was looking at the new 9/11 GI bill and if I go to Mesa for instance for full time, under this new GI bill I would get a monthly housing allowance for $1419.00 a month!

Just for going to school I think that would cover me pretty nicely for rent...problem is, i am on academic probation here in Wisconsin...that would me I would be also in San Diego right? I wonder.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:52 AM

2 posts, read 4,273 times
Don't know if this is still the case, but CA used to have outrageous non-residency fees (I guess to discourage out-of-staters from attending college here). My recollection (fuzzy!!) is that CA cosidered you a non-resident until you had been living here for a year. Ah, for the good ol' days (1961) when the community colleges cost $6.00 (not a typo) + books.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movalmike1 View Post
Don't know if this is still the case, but CA used to have outrageous non-residency fees (I guess to discourage out-of-staters from attending college here). My recollection (fuzzy!!) is that CA cosidered you a non-resident until you had been living here for a year. Ah, for the good ol' days (1961) when the community colleges cost $6.00 (not a typo) + books.
This is true Mike, however, I just now technically become a resident of Wisconsin myself (been here exactly a year) so I was actually paying more here for school than I would be there (I'd much rather be there though lol )

School Comparison

Old 04-15-2010, 05:06 PM

664 posts, read 1,214,099 times
I think it would be tight. Even with a part time job and rent. The public transportation isn't the best in socal so you would need a car. If it's your dream go for it but it will be tight.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:40 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,467,597 times
Moving to San Diego from Wisconsin to attend community college is a very bad idea with the recent extreme budget cuts. It is a much better idea to get your credits in Wisconsin and then move to San Diego.

"Constance Carroll, chancellor of the San Diego Community College District, broke the bad news from the stage: $32 million in budget cuts this year and last; 1,000 class sections canceled"

S.D. City College students, staff rally to protest budget cuts

"The cancellation of more than 600 classes in the past year has affected nearly every student. About one-third of students can not get all the classes they need to transfer to a four-year institution or to complete their job training. And more than 10,000 new students could not find at least one class in which to enroll, according to the district."

Community College Times (http://www.communitycollegetimes.com/article.cfm?ArticleId=2098 - broken link)

"Many students said they are losing out on precious time because of the cuts.

"I had to waitlist three different classes. I finally got one of them but it was a whole big struggle "

Community Colleges May Suffer With Budget Deal - San Diego News Story - KGTV San Diego

Madison is consistently rated as one of the best college towns in the country. If I was in Madison I would be living on the east side,shopping at Willy St. Coop,lifting at Ford's Gym and jogging around Lake Mendota and Lake Monona. I would be having almost much fun as I could have in San Diego.

Last edited by capoeira; 04-15-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 08:45 PM

I was under the impression he was going to do community college in Wisconsin and then do university in San Diego.. is that not the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego