Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:35 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Well I live in Cleveland, Ohio, and total precipitation is higher than in Seattle, WA. I found this quite surprising. Moreover, precipitation in snow belt cities included snow I would guess, which is a worse than rain. Most people I talked to in Seattle said that the rain in the winter months is drizzle and not downpours.

So I was basing it on comparison with Cleveland, Ohio and with what people told me in Seattle. Not on my five day visit alone.
I was pretty much agreeing with you but just adding in that SD county has a lot of cool back country areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 PM

111 posts, read 461,004 times
For hiking/walking that is within easy distance, try Torrey Pines nature Reserve. It's a beautiful area and it is free except for parking - though you can get free street parking too if you go early or are lucky.
Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve

For camping try Anza Borrego. If you go to the primitive camp sites, it is free. If you do this, do so now becuase it gets too hot after May. It is a desert though, it can get very beautiful if you go in spring.
Anza Borrego Camping

For lake, I recommend Lake Miramar and Lake Cuyamaca. For biking, there are lots of biking trails and also biking organizations which you can join. Go to the above web site and click onto the relevant links.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:16 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Almost 50% of the county is protected from development so that means lots and lots of open spaces to go hiking, backpacking, biking, or horse back riding. It's all either free or dirt cheap depending on where exactly you go. Also since the county is so geographically varied there are tons of different climate zones here.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,385 times
Gentoo, my response was to Encinitan's post.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:57 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Gentoo, my response was to Encinitan's post.
oops my bad. Sorry

Old 04-26-2010, 05:59 PM

181 posts, read 466,100 times
Morley Field has Disc Golf for like 2 bucks

Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 PM

129 posts, read 473,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
I just moved out here recently (2 months ago to be exact) from the Midwest and I need other suggestions for inexpensive outdoor fun besides the beach. Although I like taking strolls along the boardwalk in Pacific and Mission Beaches, the whole surfing/beach scene altogether is not my cup of tea. I' am more of a mountain person than a coastal lover. I like hiking, camping, biking, fishing, Lake Watersports, ect.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
One of my favorite things to do in San Diego is to go kayak fishing in San Diego Bay or Mission Bay or La Jolla Shores in the ocean.

After the initial cost of the kayak and your gear, launching is free except in the lakes here where they will charge you up to 10 bucks a day I believe.

The bay is free and the fishing is more productive than in the lakes.

It is really peaceful especially in the mornings where there is usually little to no traffic launching out of Bay Park in Chula Vista.

Kayak and fishing are a great marriage.

I enjoy fishing a lot more when I use the kayak.

I enjoy kayaking a lot more when I am fishing.

Kayak fishing is much better than on a boat as you get more exercise and there is very little maintenance as there is on a boat.

Also the kayak is more stealthy and you can launch in a few inches of water.

Quieter and no gas fumes from a motor.

Just a great sport to get involved in.

Here are a few sites to check into.

San Diego Kayak Fishing, saltwater bass at its best!
San Diego Fishing Reports, Forums, and News - Home
Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water's Edge

Enjoy!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:47 PM

5 posts, read 6,759 times
Do you ride motorcycles?

How much does it cost to rent the motorcycles?
$69/day or $299 for package of training and week long rental ($29/day). $29/day for over 1 week rentals.

If not you can learn at [url=http://www.begin2ride.com]San Diego Motorcycle Training and Rentals[/url]

Its fun but motorcycling is certainly not as cheap as hanging out at the beach.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 AM

217 posts, read 640,380 times
I'm loving all the info, and yes, I've used the search a bunch, but any more "what to do in San Diego" stuff would be appreciated. I'm coming for a week in May, and one of the things I'm doing is going to see the "surf dogs" at Imperial Beach Dog Park. but i've got a bunch of other days, and would love more input from locals. Looking forward to exploring San Diego, Imperial Beach, and Baja... got a packet of stuff from Chamber already, so very excited!

Old 04-27-2010, 05:05 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It does but not like people think it does and less so than almost all cities on the east coast.

But this is about SD's outdoor opportunities and while I agree with the Seattle comparison, based on my above post I think SD county also has a lot to offer in this regard. Different types of habitats but still quite nice.

I agree with sass for the most part too. However Mt. Laguna and Palomar can still be ok during the summer. In fact, those are the only places I would do any sort of these outdoor activities in summer around here for the reasons sass mentioned.
It doesn't rain as much in terms of inches, but Seatlle has far more cloudy and gloomy days than the East Coast. It isn't even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego