Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 06:27 AM

21 posts, read 61,958 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So I'm seriously considering returning to San Diego after living in Colorado and New York (and a short stint in Argentina) for the last 6+ years. When I left, the whole down-town renovation thing (East Village, etc.) was being built, but was still in the beginning stages.

Can anyone provide some insight into what's different (and how) in the downtown, North Park, South Park and Golden Hill areas?

I've heard of a large "renovation" of South Park (on 30th I think). What's that about?

Has North Park changed much? From my other research online, it sounds like it may be a bit nicer than it was. Also, has Grant Hill, Sherman Heights or Barrio Logan been positively affected by the new down-town stuff? (I remember much of those areas being total ghetto.)

Also, what ever happened to the talk of moving the airport? Is it still just talk?

Thanks!
Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 11:15 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,572,793 times
I think the San Diego airport is pretty much stuck where it is for the next decade or so. Haven't heard much talk about relocation to Miramar or far east county for quite a while.

The airport is currently undergoing a $1Billion expansion project. Here's a recent article about the expansion: San Diego Airport expansion progress

Old 04-20-2010, 11:23 AM

Yeah, I guess if they're going to expand it, it's not going anywhere. I was just curious.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,986 times
Downtown has changed a lot physically in the last 6 years. Many older buildings have been demolished and made way made for luxury high rise condo's. The old Burger King that used to be there right when 163 ends into downtown, are now condo's.

East Village has been built up in the last few years, they're still a huge homeless problem down there that the city still hasn't addressed because it rather focus on attracting wealthy developers to the area more so than anything else.

On other side, Barrio Logan has seen some development, right off Logan Ave. brand new Apartment homes have been constructed, they had to tear down many older 1930's-40's bungalow style homes in the process through eminent domain which is sad. Some new affordable housing complexes also has been built near where all the old warehouses used to be. Developers are already planning on what they want to do in Barrio Logan, the city of San Diego is giving them a helping hand by forcing re-development on it's residents that allows certain area's of the Barrio to be targeted for new construction. It's a horrible situation because all this does is forces out many of the long time citizens of the barrio that never asked to be re developed on. Part of this reason is because developers are starting to run out of room to build, so where's the next closet spot to move into? The Southeast side. All this does is dramatically change the landscape of the neighborhood, thus gentrification takes place. Displacements happens, and Barrio Logan wont be the same anymore, it will have no more culture once the yuppies move in and think that living the ghetto is "cool" or something, yuppies are so lame

Many older neighborhoods are going through this strange trend. It's massive rehabbing.

Everywhere you go now, you will notice how many homeowners have been fixing up their homes in older parts of the city. House after house, apartment buildings are being fixed up, I feel the reason why it's happening all of one time, is because once the housing market crashed, it lowered the value of peoples homes all throughout the city, and so what everyone is trying to do now, is to remodel their homes quickly thinking that this will some how raise the homes value to a point where it wouldn't affect their neighborhood. Maybe it's because the city is telling them to do so? Maybe it's because they are afraid their block being considered blighted which allows the city to designate an area to being re-developed? Maybe people suddenly care about their neighborhoods image, when 10 years ago nobody gave a damn?

It is really odd though to see this happening at such a rapid pace, and just within the last few years. Why not 15 years ago?

Anyways North and South Park has fully gentrified, it's no longer that much of a run down place, many new buildings and businesses have been constructed, a lot of fixing up going on, more gays have moved in buying up homes and so forth.

Sherman Heights is still pretty much the same, Golden Hill is about the same as well, basically more rehabbing has taken place around those area's, many of the old commercial buildings have been renovated. You see more hipsters now, and some yuppies here and there. Grant Hill, Stockton is still ghetto, but not as dangerous as in years past. I still wouldn't stroll on Imperial Ave. at night though.

Yep, the airport is still all talk no action. Honestly, the airport is perfectly located in SD. I know we need a bigger one, but if the city and airport authority haven't decided on where a new airport is to be located by now, then I don't think San Diego will ever get a new airport in distant future because we don't have anywhere to put it.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:17 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,316,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I think the San Diego airport is pretty much stuck where it is for the next decade or so. Haven't heard much talk about relocation to Miramar or far east county for quite a while.
Miramar is out as it was nothing more then a naked land grab by the city attempting to get free land at the military's expense. The city has had decades of opportunities to plan for a new airport but they always chose to just give in to the demands of developers rather then deal with problems before they became a crisis so I am glad the voters told the politicians no.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:26 PM

@sdlife619 - Wow, thanks for the detailed reply! I'm not sure how I feel about redevelopment on such a massive scale myself. I mean, it's nice when a really run-down neighborhood can be turned around, but tearing it all down to build high-priced high-rises isn't how I would choose to do it. It sounds like maybe North and South Park are faring better. I tend to prefer the more "urban neighborhood feel" anyway.

Well, it's more to think about.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:28 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,316,752 times
Parts of neighborhood have been renovated. Other parts haven't. You can choose which part you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego