U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-20-2010, 08:31 PM

20 posts, read 48,749 times
Default What is a good salary to live in San Diego?

There is an oportunitty for me to work as a software architect in SD.
Where I live right now (South America) salaries are much lower but the life cost is much lower too.

I am married but have no kids yet. I think my wife won't be able to work because she won't get a green card. So my income will have to be for both of us.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-20-2010, 08:33 PM

8,134 posts, read 10,065,234 times
What will your income be, and where in San Diego is the job?

Unread 04-20-2010, 08:37 PM

5,500 posts, read 6,040,505 times
Salary.com Salary Wizardô- Do you know what you're worth?

According to salary.com, it's about 120K for San Diego. That's a nice salary and will give you enough money to play with.

Unread 04-20-2010, 08:44 PM

7,049 posts, read 16,801,666 times
120k+ if you have family or want a nice place to live

Unread 04-20-2010, 09:43 PM

4,884 posts, read 4,304,427 times
If you're single then $60k will do or less if you are willing to live less well.

Unread 04-20-2010, 09:52 PM

238 posts, read 416,832 times
If you are a US citizen, your wife will be able to get a Green Card and thus be able to work legally. She will get a conditional two year card first and then after that period she will get the permanent one (although you still have to renew every 10 years). After 3 years of residence in the US she can apply for US citizenship.

Unread 04-20-2010, 10:23 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,553,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
If you're single then $60k will do or less if you are willing to live less well.
When I was working and making 60k, I didn't feel that I was getting anywhere. I was single, living with roommates (renting) and I didn't splurge much. My only bills were a car payment, paying down a credit card, car insurance and rent/utilities. Still, I felt I was working paycheck to paycheck.

I really think that you must earn $70-80k plus to live better than average in SD. And if you're thinking of buying a house or condo, you better have a significant other that earns enough so that your combined income is over $100K.

Unread 04-21-2010, 05:46 AM

2,879 posts, read 9,438,842 times
You should be able to obtain close to a six figure salary as a degreed software architect with at least 5-7 years of progressive work experience. The best pay will probably come from working with a professional services team within a company that sells software/services within a region, not just San Diego.

Since you do not have children yet, you do not have to live in the areas with the best schools, so this will help reduce your initial living expenses as well. You may want to start your search around the eastern parts of Mira Mesa. This area is very central to where most of the tech jobs are and is fairly close to the beaches as well. Once you have kids and they become of school age, you can then look to move up into surrounding areas like Rancho PQ, RB or Poway where the school system is one of the best in the state.

Unread 04-28-2010, 07:44 AM

20 posts, read 48,749 times
Sorry for taking so long to answer but I just find out the company is in Pacific Heights Blvd. Is it a good neighborhood to live?

I don't know what the income will but I am getting happy if it is over 90k. Based on your answers it will be good enough.

Thanks for the help!

Unread 04-29-2010, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 9,925 times
Negotiate your salary once offered the job. My husband and I are moving from Salt Lake City, Ut next month because he has been offered a job there. We made 44k here in SLC with a two year old, one on the way, and a dog and has been crap, but we have survived living paycheck to paycheck. So when the job in SD offered my husband 65k we said, no way...If they want us to make that big of a move with that big of a cost of living difference, we need to be making at least 75K (JUST TO COMPENSATE THE DIFFERENCE) So that was our argument, and they accepted it...With two kids and a dog, we won't be living an extravagant life there in SD, we might be living paycheck to paycheck again, but some people would argue that the Value of life there is worth not making a lot of money. Rent is probably the biggest expense there right now. You should be ok because you don't have any kids. But the other thing you have to think about is what is "living comfortably" mean to you and the people answering your question. Living comfortably might be making enough to pay your bills on time and spending time with your family. To someone else it might mean eating out every other night and paying 2,000/mo. for rent and still having a lot of extra money. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego