Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:57 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBeth View Post
Actually this is correct for many of the companies by me. I can tell you I am close to Qualcomm and Sorrento Valley and my apartment complex used to be pretty diverse. It's not any longer - I'd say it's about 50% minimum Indian - and from the ones I talk to (I work out and see them in the gym at the complex alot) they are all working here on H1B visa's - not a permanent resident amongst the bunch I've talked to. I have friends too that work at Qualcomm and they say the same but they also say many American's lack the skills to get the jobs - not sure if that's true or not but clearly an issue if it is. My complex used to be many families but now its much more common to see 4-6 guys in an apartment with no furniture other than sleeping bags on the floor and a card table on the patio where they smoke. Some are brining families though - since I have kids I like that as it makes it feel more like a community.

As far as hiring goes though I have entry level jobs starting at $22K - which I consider to be below poverty line to actually live in San Diego - but I get people with Bachelors and Masters applying. This is clerical work only - so I can sympathize with it being tough to find work with only a high school diploma without other specialized skills.
They've been using that " no qualified Americans" bull for quite some time. There are always people looking in the computer sector they just don't want to pay the wage these people are asking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 03:32 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBeth View Post

As far as hiring goes though I have entry level jobs starting at $22K - which I consider to be below poverty line to actually live in San Diego - but I get people with Bachelors and Masters applying. This is clerical work only - so I can sympathize with it being tough to find work with only a high school diploma without other specialized skills.
The internet is also a problem these days with getting resumes out there. Its just too easy to send off a resume but extremely difficult to know what keywords their bot programs are using to filter the crappy resumes.

22k for a position that a Masters or BA degree holder is applying for?

Its telling me
A) they didnt learn too much in school after all
B) they are completely bored and frustrated so decided to blanket email every company on monster.com regardless of position

Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
...22k for a position that a Masters or BA degree holder is applying for?

Its telling me
A) they didnt learn too much in school after all
B) they are completely bored and frustrated so decided to blanket email every company on monster.com regardless of position
Or they were laid off two or three years ago, haven't yet been able to find work in their field or anything wildly related, no longer have unemployment compensation, and are simply desperate to try to pay their bills. I know people in that situation! It's still a really harsh economic situation.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:55 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Or they were laid off two or three years ago, haven't yet been able to find work in their field or anything wildly related, no longer have unemployment compensation, and are simply desperate to try to pay their bills. I know people in that situation! It's still a really harsh economic situation.
I know friends that were making well over 120 5 years ago working part time now wherever they can get work. Layoffs are still cranking.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 PM

58 posts, read 148,591 times
There is jobs out there guys/gals...Believe me, not too long ago I was in the same boat as you. Hell I even posted a thread about not having any luck finding a job. But you know what, your not going anywhere if you don't try.So what if people with bachelors degree are competing for the same position as you, as long as you have the confidence and skill to pull it off..Anything's possible.
As far as not being contact by the company you applied for, ever thought about revising your resume?
It's all about presenting yourself, if you can't present yourself on paper or email, what makes you think they want you representing their company.
Keep your head up, stay positive, there is a light at the end of the tunnel..If an idiot like me can land a job, so can you
-Dan AKA "Chon"

Old 06-02-2011, 01:36 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They've been using that " no qualified Americans" bull for quite some time. There are always people looking in the computer sector they just don't want to pay the wage these people are asking for.
This is entirely true. A friend of mine with a M.Sc. in electrical engineering who used to work for Qualcomm (before getting his MBA and moving to NYC) told me American engineers demanded and got at least 1/3rd more in salary right off the bat. Qualcomm had a policy of hiring Indian engineers where ever possible not because they couldn't find qualified Americans to do the job but simply because desperate Indians would agree to do the job for so much less then qualified Americans. It was their way of depressing wages by bringing in foreign competition but unfortunately many of the Indian engineers were borderline incompetent so their work normally had to be constantly reviewed by more senior people to correct errors. The really big difference was that since the foreigners had no friends or family in this country they were willing to work insanely long hours (over 100 per week) without additional pay plus since their visa was dependent on keeping that one job they never complained when they were passed over for a raise nor could they ever jump to another company which offered better compensation. They were prisoners for all intents and purposes and that was what the engineering companies wanted them to be.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:49 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
This is entirely true. A friend of mine with a M.Sc. in electrical engineering who used to work for Qualcomm (before getting his MBA and moving to NYC) told me American engineers demanded and got at least 1/3rd more in salary right off the bat. Qualcomm had a policy of hiring Indian engineers where ever possible not because they couldn't find qualified Americans to do the job but simply because desperate Indians would agree to do the job for so much less then qualified Americans. It was their way of depressing wages by bringing in foreign competition but unfortunately many of the Indian engineers were borderline incompetent so their work normally had to be constantly reviewed by more senior people to correct errors. The really big difference was that since the foreigners had no friends or family in this country they were willing to work insanely long hours (over 100 per week) without additional pay plus since their visa was dependent on keeping that one job they never complained when they were passed over for a raise nor could they ever jump to another company which offered better compensation. They were prisoners for all intents and purposes and that was what the engineering companies wanted them to be.
Oerdin, this is very true and still happening. Same with the Chinese but more so with Indian coming here in H-1B's and all that extra credit that comes with hiring overseas.

But its a double edged sword. In my experience you get what you pay for with these workers. Loyalty and productivity dont always go hand in hand. The communication problems that I have had and a certain 'je ne sais quoi' I cant put a finger on (resourcefulness?) just absolutely kills projects.
Its not a matter of someone not knowing, its more rooted in lack of excecising a certain independence.
The Chinese and Korean workers in their own countries respect their bosses far differently than here. So many times common sense decisions may be kept to themselves so that their bosses dont look bad. So when I have had some of these workers come here they are like robots, but for my team it sucks, because my guys are more team oriented to completing tasks.

However, when there is a public interest in a company and products are coming out on time regardless if its 100 man hours or 60 regardless of who is working, the bottom line, especially in R&D is what it comes down to.

If there is one shining light in the economic downturn, its efficiency and less workers. For example It takes 15 workers overseas to complete the same tasks that I or my team are able to perform and with far better accuracy. Over a year the savings are seen in dollars, but also my team is happy because they know what they need to do, not just do because I tell them to jump.
I am seeing this trend amongst some other colleagues that do similar work for competitors.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
What Oerdin is describing is more common in IT / testing than in R&D (more Chinese in R&D lately). The other thing to remember is that there is tremendous nepotism in India, they hire their cousins and brother-in-laws all the time. What's happening in tech is a self fulfilling prophecy - no one wants to work in IT anymore except the offshore guys.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:05 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
What Oerdin is describing is more common in IT / testing than in R&D (more Chinese in R&D lately). The other thing to remember is that there is tremendous nepotism in India, they hire their cousins and brother-in-laws all the time. What's happening in tech is a self fulfilling prophecy - no one wants to work in IT anymore except the offshore guys.
You are still in SD Sass? I thought you would have been way out of town by now...DC is a great market, jobs, County public elementary schools that have Chinese immersion and Ivy League style expectations; SAHMs with JD's and PhD's. Come on over

Now how to get us back to SoCal

Old 06-02-2011, 07:16 PM

455 posts, read 1,117,886 times
Agree with Sass, it differs by profession. Positions that require multiple hours in front of a computer/instrument or working in a lab do not need strong communication skills. In R&D, science has it's own language/terminology, so if they where proficient with their expertise, they could easily discuss work/issues in team settings. At least it decreases water-cooler talk...

Also, don't confuse thick accent with lack of knowledge or communication skills. As team lead or director, we will deal with more of this, as companies and the workforce become more globalized or outsourced. We need to learn and adapt to leading teams with members from multiple backgrounds and drive productivity +build loyalty, not just expect it.

Whatever the business model, I'm happy that I'm not in a field that has direct outsourcing competition. My only problem is being up for global meetings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego