Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,658 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I've been accepted into grad school at a school in San Diego. The program is very strong and I'm excited about the opportunity. Ive been to SD many times, and have always been in love with it. However visting a place and living there is very different. I've lived in the South my entire life, and I'm afraid it will just be to big of an adjustment. I'm a very open and accepting person, but if everyone is completely different from me Im worried I wont really like living there. Anyone move to SD from the South? any comments are appreciated! thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 08:47 AM

455 posts, read 1,117,886 times
What part of the south? Lived in any large cities?

Honestly, it all depends on your mentality. Going to grad school here does not tie you down, and would be a good place for school and enjoying the area.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:18 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Which school?

Old 04-24-2010, 11:40 AM

974 posts, read 2,184,587 times
I wouldn't think twice about moving / living in San Diego. I'm from the South too... and I've lived there off & on over my lifetime (first time as a military brat, second time nearby as an adult). and left only because of family obligations back home. Sure, it's a big city but for a city it's size, it's pretty easy to get around once you get a feel for traffic patterns. Besides...the area is made up of smaller communities and there's usually enough going on around you to satisfy basic needs.

Cost of Living? Well yeah... car insurance and housing can be pretty pricey. But a lot of common expenses are reasonable thanks to competition ( i.e. food, clothing, etc.). Lifestyle is great...you have the mountains, desert & chaparral for the great outdoors, the beaches & coastal areas for sunlovers, smaller communities for folksy feel and of course the downtown area complete with harbor & gaslamp district to suit big-city fixes.

But hey...your main focus is going to grad school and I would say the only negative is that if you come to San Diego, you'll find it too easy to be distracted and slouch on the studies. San Diego is a cool town and it's easy to fall in the party-trap as it has a lot there. I have a number of friends who've complained about their kids blowing off their studies thanks to too many leisurely influences.

So that's the skinny. But hey...you could do a lot worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: