U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:55 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,207,918 times

Advertisements

Went through the McDonald's drive through today. Or at least headed in that general direction, when I was cutoff by a beat up white Pontiac Grand Am with some dedication on the back window. Didn't signal to turn into the place, speeding, blasting over speedbumps...so I figure it's some kid. Get to the speaker, and what do you know...window down, smoke billowing out, a female's hand lightly holding a cigarette and furiously flicking ashes out. She takes literally 10 minutes to place the order...so I figure she's ordering for a family. She finally moves off, I notice she ordered 3 dollar menu items and a salad. Hmm.

Anyway, I had turned on the internal A/C so that her smoke didn't catch me, but since she was blowing smoke directly at the speaker, it was lingering in the air and I had to wave it off. Now of course, she saw the rest of us behind her and didn't stop to think that maybe...just maybe...the smoke would bother at least me. Or maybe she did think it and didn't care. Maybe she knew that if there were no drive throughs she wouldn't have been able to smoke.

Get up to the pay window, and she's blowing smoke IN the window at the lady. McD's didn't have the blower on, and I felt really bad for the workers having to deal with that. Maybe one or more of them smoke and don't mind - but in my personal experience working with smokers as I do, they don't like the smell of secondhand smoke at all, which is why they hang their arms out the window instead of inside their cars.

Get up to the food window, again, she's blowing smoke IN the window at the guy. More than once actually. Gets her bag of food and starts railing on him about the salad which apparently was missing. Turns out the first lady didn't charge her properly for it. Pissed, she then throws the lit cigarette butt down on the ground right in front of the window.

Now mind you, I travel on business, and when I do McDonald's is usually a stop I make. I have never, in any other area, seen this behavior. Everywhere else I go, the people finish their fix before going into areas where others are. And I always wonder: is that a case of courteousness that we lack in San Diego? Or is it enforced in other areas where you are not to be smoking that close to a populated area?

In any event, I made sure to recommend to the manager that they consider making the entire drive thru non-smoking and refuse to serve people who are still smoking by the time they get to the pay window. Doubt that'll do anything, but I wanted to make sure I voiced my opinion on the lack of common courtesy for the workers - whether they themselves are smokers are not, there are some things you just don't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 12:19 PM

84 posts, read 230,940 times
Wow, that's more than just a smoking issue, it's a total lack of decency and respect for anyone else. I don't even know how people like that exist.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:26 PM

2,257 posts, read 2,251,709 times
That's the sort of thing you see all the time in Louisiana and Mississippi.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:28 PM

7,173 posts, read 18,572,972 times
Its just a little bit of San Diego's own Whiskey Tango, nothing new.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:29 PM

3,708 posts, read 6,923,953 times
Is this post a joke? Because this incident happened in SD and to YOU (not anyone else), you are going to call all smokers in SD rude? Unbelievable. You were in the drive-thru at McDonald's, what do you expect? And FYI - I'm not a smoker.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:30 PM

16,585 posts, read 20,542,878 times
I love sweeping generalizations.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:32 PM

7,173 posts, read 18,572,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
You were in the drive-thru at McDonald's, what do you expect?
I was going to say it, but.... cigarettes on a bun?

Old 05-02-2010, 02:37 PM

3,708 posts, read 6,923,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassberto View Post
i was going to say it, but.... Cigarettes on a bun?
:d

Old 05-02-2010, 03:01 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,207,918 times
Quote:
Is this post a joke?
No. No, it really happened.

Quote:
Because this incident happened in SD and to YOU (not anyone else), you are going to call all smokers in SD rude?
Hmm. Let me re-read my posting.

No, I don't find that I said "all" smokers in SD are rude. I provided a post in rebuttal to the San Diego thread a while ago where smokers united to disclaim the notion that smokers in general have rude tendencies. "all" is a bit reaching, since my post did not say that. Then again, as I like to say, selective reading is vintage CD.

Quote:
You were in the drive-thru at McDonald's, what do you expect?
  • Given that I'm in a place where there are open windows for the cashiers, I would expect people to have courtesy enough not to blow smoke directly into the window. In fact, I would expect that cigarettes would be extinguished in such a place.
  • Given that it's an open street and we have laws against littering, I would expect lit cigarette butts not to be thrown in the drive thru. Because of course, unlike what Eddie Kang Jr. might say, the world is NOT your ashtray.
  • Given that not everyone around a person would care for such a habit, it stands to reason that one would be courteous enough not to practice said habit around them for understanding that it might set off asthma (potentially fatal, mind), stinks up clothes, smells horrible, and not conducive to fresh air.
  • Given that common courtesy is defined in the dictionary, one would not expect another person to literally blow smoke in the cashier's face repeatedly.
That's what I expect. It amazes me how tolerant people really are of this behavior yet if it happened to them they'd be throwing torches.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:04 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,023,707 times
It's possible all the decent people in SD go to In-N-Out, because it's better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego