Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:05 AM

23 posts, read 64,028 times

Advertisements

No offense my San Diegans, but it isn't humid here in my opinion. Try Florida in the summer where it's 100+ degrees and you feel like you can't breathe because of the humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 AM

76 posts, read 314,886 times
San Diego isn't humid LOL it's a desert. To you guys saying you think the weather in Hawaii is better, I lived there for almost 20 years and I think if you spend much time there you'd change your mind. Hawaii is extremely humid. SoCal weather is MUCH better. Hawaii does have the warm tropical water though.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom-of-two-tots View Post
No offense my San Diegans, but it isn't humid here in my opinion. Try Florida in the summer where it's 100+ degrees and you feel like you can't breathe because of the humidity.
It's not as humid as Florida for sure. But when dew points rise into the 60's, it's still humid.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 AM

38 posts, read 70,581 times
I just moved from Missouri, but visited San Diego many times before moving. I have friends who moved from Missouri as well and have just now started to slowly complain about the weather...

I am convinced that it takes 3-5 years and gradually the water in San Diego causes everyone to slip into a rare form of dementia that causes irrational negativity about the weather.

It is absolutely not humid in San Diego compared to the vast majority of the planet and the weather is ridiculously nice 95% of the time, even during June when it's cloudy. Start drinking the purified water people and remember how good you have it

Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
People can argue if San Diego is humid or not but the climate data shows that SoCal does experience fairly high dew points comparable to Hawaii. These periods of mugginess only last for a few weeks in general & by the end of September the air is dry [sometimes too dry]. Frankly it is very hard to find anything negative about the climate of San Diego or coastal southern California. Late spring\ mid-summer can bring all-day overcast so if daily sunshine is important then a person would want to live a bit inland from the ocean like El Cajon\ La Mesa\ Escondido. But it also gets hotter each mile in from the beach & inland areas even within the San Diego city limits can be uncomfortable during afternoons.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
People can argue if San Diego is humid or not but the climate data shows that SoCal does experience fairly high dew points comparable to Hawaii. These periods of mugginess only last for a few weeks in general & by the end of September the air is dry [sometimes too dry]. Frankly it is very hard to find anything negative about the climate of San Diego or coastal southern California. Late spring\ mid-summer can bring all-day overcast so if daily sunshine is important then a person would want to live a bit inland from the ocean like El Cajon\ La Mesa\ Escondido. But it also gets hotter each mile in from the beach & inland areas even within the San Diego city limits can be uncomfortable during afternoons.
Yeah there's no point arguing with those who've not been here during those humid times. All one has to do is compare dew points.

You're also right about it getting hot within the city limits of SD too. I live in east Mission Valley and we have days that can get into the low 100's here. Don't even get me started on El Cajon lol.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:09 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. You are right, it's all about the dewpoints, and not humidity levels. From late July thru August, dewpoints in SD hover in the mid 60's which is just enough to make it a bit uncomfortable, especially for those of us who live further inland.

Found these in my Photobucket account -

A dewpoint map from one afternoon last August. SD is often the muggiest place west of the Rockies during this time of the year.

Here's another one from early Sept. during the night.

Mind you, these readings were probably during our intermittent heatspells

Old 05-11-2010, 11:21 AM

Look at that second map. SD's dewpoint is 69, Jacksonville Floridas is 70! On this particular day, San Diego has more moister in the air than New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta and Charleston. I remember those days too last August, they were horrible. The only thing SD has going for it here are that our daytime temperatures are much lower than those other cities.

Notice how it drops considerably between LA and SD. This invisible wall is somewhere between Del Mar and Carlsbad. If you drive down the coast during this time, you will see a gray haze as you approach SD. That's not so much smog as it is moister.

Thanks for posting this as this is what Cal sur and I have been trying to say.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:24 AM

76 posts, read 314,886 times
Quote:
The only thing SD has going for it here are that our daytime temperatures are much lower than those other cities.
C'mon, that's just retarded. San Diego is MUCH less humid than Houston, Atlanta or Jacksonville 350 days a year.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitup View Post
C'mon, that's just retarded. San Diego is MUCH less humid than Houston, Atlanta or Jacksonville 350 days a year.
Did you see the map?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego