Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,406 times

Advertisements

Laguna is a very unique and beautiful place, very wealthy and upscale for the most part. SD doesn't really have anything to compare, IMO, but I would say La Jolla, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Cardiff/Leucadia would be the closest. Cardiff is not as "60's/hippy" as Leucadia.

But, living on the coast, the commute to Poway would be pretty brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 PM

93 posts, read 165,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
As for people, I haven't found them to be overly snobby although that element does exist (usually angry soccer moms trying to run you over in the parking lot on Del Mar Heights). For the most part people seem to run the gamut as with everywhere.
haha indeed!

Old 06-02-2010, 02:59 PM

145 posts, read 490,583 times
It sounds like Leucadia would be the best for us. I remember going to these incredible mediation gardens in Encinitas one time, that looked out onto the Pacific Ocean. It was incredible, and I absolutely LOVED that area. Is the place I'm taking about in the Leucadia area?
Could we get a nice house near the beach with what we make, assuming we can come up with the 10% down?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:17 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vox View Post
It sounds like Leucadia would be the best for us. I remember going to these incredible mediation gardens in Encinitas one time, that looked out onto the Pacific Ocean. It was incredible, and I absolutely LOVED that area. Is the place I'm taking about in the Leucadia area?
Could we get a nice house near the beach with what we make, assuming we can come up with the 10% down?
Could it be the Self-Realization Fellowship gardens? That would be considered Encinitas proper. Anything close to the water will probably be 700k+ for a small, potentially unrenovated cottage... if you cant afford that, look east of 5 where prices start to ease and houses get bigger.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:20 PM

204 posts, read 641,612 times
Ziprealty.com has a function that allows you to look at a map and find real estate. You might want to check that out to see what's available. I'm not affiliated with them or anything, they just have a fabulous site. I wouldn't use one of their realtor's though because I wasn't impressed with their selection and you would probably need a full service agent in your price range.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:47 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,454 times
Quote:
OK I was told Leucadia area was the Laguna Beach of San Diego. I have been to Laguna Beach before, and I love it, but it has a bit of a snobbish feel to it. However, everything from "The Pagent of the Masters", to plethora of art galleries. We both are avid fans of Laguna Beach and were hoping to find something very similar to the culture of that in San Diego.
Ideally we would like to be in a home that is fairly new, close to a sandy swimming beach, and is also in close proximity to culture(music, art galleries), as well as being in a Very safe neighborhood, and a town with friendly non-pretentious people.
I'm still stressing about how people can have a healthy marriage, and pay those astronomical property taxes? How on God's green earth do people have familes and pay those morgages every month? I'm pretty darn lucky, because of my wife, my dad making a VERY good salary, as well not having any kids. That's the only way we could even do it. All the pieces fell ino place perfectly. I'm just curious how others are able to do it?
Leucadia and Laguna Beach are similar, but really different too. Sassberto's described it pretty well already, so I'll just piggy back on his assessment of Laguna and Leucadia. I would not say that Laguna Beach is culturally similar to Leucadia. You should visit and spend some time there to see if it suits you, because from what you're saying you like about Laguna, you may be let down. I love Leucadia, don't get me wrong, but it is not Laguna Beach in terms of the arts. But then, what is?
As for your "how do people do it?" question, I'll just say, not many people can. The property taxes are just part of it. For my family, I work, my wife works essentially part-time from home, and it's a struggle to hustle and keep up with the costs of living in Encinitas. And we don't live in Cardiff or right down by the ocean, either. We bust our butts to stay where I was raised, where my family is, where our kids can be safe, go to good schools, play on the beach, hike on nature trails, all that. But it ain't easy.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:56 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,406 times
Rather than right by the beach, you might want to look into what we call "new Encinitas", east of I-5. Old Encinitas is the old town, west of I-5. The newer part is more older suburban, strip malls, towne centers for shopping, restaurants, etc. But there are more affordable (I use the term very loosely) homes for example in Village Park. And the beach is just about 1 mile down Encinitas Blvd from there.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Quote:
I wish I had Prop 13 taxes like my dad.
No need for despair... chances are good your taxes will be reasonable when you've owned your home as long as your Dad.

Prop 13 applies equally to all taxable Real Estate... many buyers today are actually seeing much lower tax bills that those that bought only a couple of years ago

Remember, the 1% is the Statewide Property Tax... local areas can have a lot of additional taxes... my tax rate is near 1.5%

At least I knew going in how much it would be and that gave me the opportunity to make an informed purchase decision.

Prop 13 strong suite is predictability in Property Taxation.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:28 PM

9 posts, read 14,978 times
Quote:
Thanks. I checked out the Composer District of Cardiff. It look amazing. So, correct me if I am wrong, but Cardiff is geared towards musicians whereas Leucadia is geared towards fine artists? Is that correct? They appear to be in close proximity to one another. They both look like very nice, clean and safe cities.
The home we want is around 1,200,000. So, if my math is correct that would mean I would need around $120,000 to $240,000. YIKES!! That's a lot of money to put down. How are the property taxes in Encinitas. I am assuming 1% of the value of the home. So again, if we take the value of the $1,200,000 home and at 1%, means that we are going to have to pay $12,000 a year in property taxes. That is simply insane. I wish I had Prop 13 taxes like my dad.
You may want to check with the bank first. Unless you have significant amount of cash for downpayment million+ dollar home is our of range. Our income is close to 200k and we have 150k cash. We're looking at 600k homes.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:59 PM

145 posts, read 490,583 times
I don't mean to sound like a pretentious prick, but I haven't been impressed with anything in the 600's in that area. I did some some very nice homes in the 800's in Carlsbad, but not in Encinitas. Why is Carlsbad so much less expensive than Encinitas? I could put $120,000 down for the home if need be. That would suck my finances down pretty much though if I were to do that. I make $9,600 a month, plus my wife who brings in an other $6,000. To say that grossing over $15,000 a month with no kids is not good enough to get a million dollar home is absolutely ridiculous.If that isn't good enough....what is? My wife and I both have over 800 FICO scores. We would be first time homebuyers, so I'm sure there are some avenues for help there as well that we need to tap into. I saw a house that my wife and I both fell in love with on Neptune avenue. Too bad, the house was oceanfront and cost around $5,000,000. It does **** me off though a bit that my wife and I are the best at what we do, and oceanfront homes seem to be out of our price range in the area we want. What it must be like to have boundless amounts of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego