Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who thinks someone with a HUGE HEART will help Aloha Girl?
'Ae (YES!) 5 83.33%
A'ole (NO WAY) 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:43 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I'm going to check out MIHO Gastrotruck tomorrow. Tried to get to them on Sunday, but apparently they sold out in less than 2 hours and I missed 'em.
Yeah, I went to Kearney Mesa today and I got there 45 minutes after they got there and there was a massive line and they were already running out of stuff. The demand has just totally overwhelmed them especially since everyone seems to want to buy one of everything on the menu.

I did manage to get one of their grass feed beef burgers made to order and it was perfectly rare just the way I like it (and ordered it) and since they use only the freshest locally raised beef instead of the industrial stuff there is no worries about it being to old. They literally only buy meat from free range hormone free cows from SoCal which were slaughtered at a small butcher shop the day before so it's practically a custom made item. The white farmhouse cheddar was just melted enough without running off the burger, the aioli sauce had a nice zing to it, and I loved the taste of the butter leaf (they use butter leaf instead of lettuce) combined with the grilled red onions while the buns are baked fresh each morning. All of the greens are locally grown, of course. All in all a great burger and only $7.

Last edited by Oerdin; 06-03-2010 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 04:51 PM

Oh, I've also heard about two new high end trucks which seem to always be in the La Jolla, University City, Sorrento Valley area but which I have yet to locate and try. One of them is called KALBIQ which seems to be trying to copy Kogi Korean BBQ's success with fusion Korean-Mexican food and the other is called Tabe which is run by a Korean-American guy and his Thai-American wife. Reprtedly, they make traditional Korean and Thai food to order along with Asian-California fusion cuisine, much of it home style or traditional street foods from those two countries.

All in all I'm pretty excited because this means San Diego is finally getting the really good and inexpensive street food I can remember eating in NYC 5-7 years ago. Plus this means that despite the down economy local folks are still finding ways to start new businesses even if they have to find ways to do things a bit different (like going mobile instead of paying expensive rent on a traditional restaurant).

http://twitter.com/kalbiq
http://www.tabebbq.com/index.php (broken link)

KALBIQ's main website doesn't seem to be finished yet: http://www.kalbiq.com/

Last edited by Oerdin; 06-03-2010 at 05:06 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 05:03 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Yeah, I went to Kearney Mesa today and I got there 45 minutes after they got there and there was a massive line and they were already running out of stuff. The demand has just totally overwhelmed them especially since everyone seems to want to buy one of everything on the menu.

I did manage to get one of their grass feed beef burgers made to order and it was perfectly rare just the way I like it (and ordered it) and since they use only the freshest locally raised beef instead of the industrial stuff there is no worries about it being to old. They literally only buy meat from free range hormone free cows from SoCal which were slaughtered at a small butcher shop the day before so it's practically a custom made item. The white farmhouse cheddar was just melted enough without running off the burger, the aioli sauce had a nice zing to it, and I loved the taste of the butter leaf (they use butter leaf instead of lettuce) combined with the grilled red onions. All of the greens are locally grown, of course. All in all a great burger and only $7.
Nice, thanks for the review! They'll be in my 'hood (30th & Upas) tomorrow evening starting at 6. My plan is to bike over and be there when they open, grab some nosh, and head over to Bluefoot for a beverage to go with.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,850 times
SD_Aloha Girl,
I am in the same boat as you are. Have you gotten any responses that have been helpful to you? I am looking at the same concept with pre-packaged goods, and the bureacracy at the county is amazing. I am curious to see what information you find out!!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:48 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
Oh, I've also heard about two new high end trucks which seem to always be in the La Jolla, University City, Sorrento Valley area but which I have yet to locate and try. One of them is called KALBIQ which seems to be trying to copy Kogi Korean BBQ's success with fusion Korean-Mexican food and the other is called Tabe which is run by a Korean-American guy and his Thai-American wife. Reprtedly, they make traditional Korean and Thai food to order along with Asian-California fusion cuisine, much of it home style or traditional street foods from those two countries.

All in all I'm pretty excited because this means San Diego is finally getting the really good and inexpensive street food I can remember eating in NYC 5-7 years ago. Plus this means that despite the down economy local folks are still finding ways to start new businesses even if they have to find ways to do things a bit different (like going mobile instead of paying expensive rent on a traditional restaurant).

KALBIQ (KALBIQ) on Twitter
Tabe - San Diego's Premiere Mobile Cuisine (http://www.tabebbq.com/index.php - broken link)

KALBIQ's main website doesn't seem to be finished yet: kalbiq.com - coming soon
We've been impressed with Dave Dejour Street Food. Really tasty stuff, including brisket sliders, truffle fries, calamari skewers, etc. He's up in the Encinitas/Carlsbad/Solana Beach areas a lot, but he also goes down to North Park. You can find him and where he'll be on Twitter.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:08 AM

I've heard the name Dave Dejour but I've never seen his truck any where. The menu sounds great and I'd love to try him but is he always in the Encinitas area?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
I've heard the name Dave Dejour but I've never seen his truck any where. The menu sounds great and I'd love to try him but is he always in the Encinitas area?
He's either in Encinitas/Carlsbad or he's down in North Park, Hillcrest, etc. The easiest way I know to find him is on Twitter. He also tweets where he is and where he's going to be. If he's near you, I'd say it's worth the trip to try some.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:17 AM

I see he was in North Park last night. If he's down again tonight I'll look him up. Does he always only work late night? If so then I guess the Dave Dejour truck is a part time job for him and he has a regular day time job as well. Good for him for creating a local business in his spare time.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:19 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
FYI, they aren't San Diego laws, it is a state law.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the correction. I still wish they'd change those laws to liberalize things a bit because I think there is a middle ground which protects public health without being so onerous on people who would like to start a local small business. Ideally, I would like to see laws which are goal orientated rather then process orientated; I.E. tell people which standards to meet and then let them figure out how to meet those standards without the one size fits all "everyone must do the following, first..." which mandates a step by step process which everyone must do. Regular health inspections can tell us if someone is meeting the standards or not and those which do not should get fined or shut down but those who are should be left alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego