U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,676 times
Default Help this New Englander out.

Hey, my name is Steve from Connecticut, and i'm brand new to this website . Anyone that reads this whole thing deserves a hug.. I am going to lay all of my circumstances on the table here, good and bad, and I expect you californian's to help me out advice-wise. Tell me what you would do / not do in my situation.

I have a very important goal, and dream of mine. And that is to live in San Diego, and persevere on my own. I know there are many other parts of California, but I love sd and that's that for now .. hehe.. But here's my deal..I've lived in connecticut and ct only since I was born, and now that i'm 23 i think it's time for a change. As far as money goes, ehem.. My father tragically passed away 5 years ago, and left me about $30,000. Now that money of course i intend not to blow through ! But combined with maybe coming into an $11 / hr job, how much of that money do you think I should bring ? I was thinking about bringing about 5 or 6,000 just to get started, and leaving the rest away for awhile, or if I decided to come back..

I live with my aunt and uncle, I work as a security officer for a nation wide company. There happens to be an office in downtown san diego that I visited twice already.. They have openings all the time, and would gladly accept a transfer from here, I already talked to them.. The pay would be significantly less in California, but hey atleast I would have a job for the time being. I make $14.49 / hr here for practically doing nothing at all. I'm guessing in san diego, depending on the position, it would probably get reduced to about $11 give or take. As far as college goes, cause i work so much i've been taking my time with school, I do better when I take less classes at once. I have about 30 credits from a credited community college here in CT, but was thinking about finishing that up in san diego. Where would you guys recommend I look around for rents cheaper than $500 month ?? Even if it's as inland as La Mesa I think i can probably manage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:50 AM

8,380 posts, read 11,018,608 times
What security company is it? In San Diego, security officers make anywhere from $8.50 - $10.00 per hour. They pay you as little as possible, and the rest of the money goes into their pocket. You can't work without a CA Guard Card. That will run you $200-$300.

For $500 a month, you "might" be lucky to get a place with a roommate. If you do decide to move, bring at least $10,000 with you. Do you have a car?

Old 06-06-2010, 01:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,676 times
Yes, I do have a car.. But having it out there seems like it would be a pretty big expense with the gas and all.. Wow, that's God awful pay. But my security company name is Wackenhut corporation lol don't ask.. I'm not too happy about working for them out in california, but I figured it's atleast a job if i moved.. I do have the $10,000 to bring with me, but I want a job that I can rely on. And i don't have a degree yet.. I want to live in sd so bad though.. I'm just trying to be as realistic about this as possible, although I am tired of hearing people's negative opinions about the decision. (i.e family)

Old 06-06-2010, 02:26 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,345,953 times
Let's do the budget:

Income @$11/hour at 40 hours per week = $22,000 less 20% for taxes = $17,600 = approximately $1460/month approximately.

Expenses:

Food: $200
Lunches @ work: $100
Gas: $120
Car Insurance: $100
Utilities (Gas&Electric): $75
Cable/Phone/Internet: $150
Clothes: $40
Entertainment: $80
Medical: $40
Misc: $50

$955 plus the cost of rent.

To live alone you are looking at $650 minimum. $800 to live outside of the actual ghetto but in a hard used apartment built in the 1960s. Your best best would be a roommate situation as your budget only leaves $500 per month for housing. And none of this includes tuition, books, and fees for school. Nor does this allow for the possibility that you may have absolutely no furniture as you live with your uncle and aunt.

If you lived downtown, you could get to work and school at City College without a car. But you would probably feel claustrophobic after awhile wondering what the rest of the city looked like. Otherwise, you would have to live directly on the trolley line either in La Mesa or Mission Valley. However, without the car you would save approximately $200/month. It's hard to say which you would be happier dealing with, the lack of a car, or moving in with a roommate you don't even know. However, the reality is, you would probably only miss the car on weekends and when you wanted to do a big shopping trip. I wonder if Flexcar or Zipcar is still operating downtown, and if at age 23 they would allow you to rent their cars.

As for the money situation, you would need to 'bring' at least enough money to cover your tuition, books, and fees. I'm not sure what that is these days either for in-state or out-of-state students. You should also plan to spend some of your money on furniture, bed, linens and housewares. Other than your yearly schooling costs, and your initial household set up expenses, you should be able to protect the rest of your inheritance if you stay responsible about money.

If you think you can live with a roommate, I think that would be the easiest way to cut expenses. Then you would have the option to bring your car or leave it at home. (If you leave your car add in a monthly bus or trolley pass Transit.511sd.com) San Diego without a car is a hardship, but knowing where your work and school will be ahead of time would help you to plan your life so you could do without it at least for awhile.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:10 AM

11,525 posts, read 10,081,179 times
I think you should stay where you are and live with your aunt and uncle until you can finish college and bump up your credentials BEFORE venturing into San Diego. Develop a plan. Knowing that one day you will move to San Diego should be enough motivation for you to stick it out where you are, finish college and get yourself a degree that will get you a decent paying job. Maybe get a graduate degree.

The plan would be as follows:

1) Research San Diego to determine what types of careers would be to your liking, careers that would allow you to live comfortably, and be secure.

2) Once you've narrowed the careers, finish college with this in mind. Get a graduate degree as well if you can last that long. Maybe you can do some work in your field of interest in CT to boost your resume. You're young.

3) Once you've got your credentials, including the degree, first look at companies in CT that will allow you to transfer to San Diego or companies in CT that have offices in San Diego. It may be easier for you to get a job for that company in CT, and then transfer to the San Diego office than it would be trying to get the San Diego branch to hire you directly.

4) If you can't find any local companies that present opportunities for you to transfer or have offices in San Diego, directly check out the companies you want to work for in San Diego. Your resume will look better than it does now, and you'll probably have more options, including higher pay.

It seems like you're setting yourself up for failure by coming here without a degree and winging it. You won't make much money and you will be expendable. The weather will be ideal but you will be in a quiet state of desperation. Give yourself a chance.

Good luck.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:52 AM

7,063 posts, read 17,483,835 times
500 / mo is roomate territory. Finish college where you are an move out here with some prospects.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:01 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,667,236 times
Agreed, $500 a month is -barely- roommate money. When I lived with 5 other people 2 years ago, I was paying $625. That was for a basic room in a house in Mira Mesa.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:05 AM

4,884 posts, read 4,530,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
500 / mo is roomate territory. Finish college where you are an move out here with some prospects.
This is good advice. Honestly, without a college degree there just aren't that many ways to get ahead out here as the cost of living is so high. Once you have a college degree though then you'll find all sorts of doors open up.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:06 AM

4,884 posts, read 4,530,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Agreed, $500 a month is -barely- roommate money. When I lived with 5 other people 2 years ago, I was paying $625. That was for a basic room in a house in Mira Mesa.
Yeah, back when I used to rent out my spare rooms (like three years ago) I charged $650 for the small one and $700 for the larger one. I'm sure prices have gone up in the last three years.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:43 PM

8,380 posts, read 11,018,608 times
I work as a security officer for a nation wide company. There happens to be an office in downtown san diego that I visited twice already..

Wackenhut is not in downtown San Diego.

They have openings all the time, and would gladly accept a transfer from here, I already talked to them..

Security companies "pick and choose" who they want to hire these day. Granted, you may get a transfer, but there's no guarantee that they'll have a site for you.

The pay would be significantly less in California, but hey at least I would have a job for the time being. I make $14.49 / hr here for practically doing nothing at all. I'm guessing in san diego, depending on the position, it would probably get reduced to about $11 give or take.

You'll never get $14.49/hr working security here in San Diego, because it doesn't pay that much. You might get $10.00/hr if you're lucky. Plus, you'll need a car to get around to work the different sites. You also have to have a CA Guard Card, and be certified by the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS) before you can even work.

A guard card will run you $200-$300 with your certifications, and you can't work or be hired without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego