U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-08-2010, 12:56 PM

20 posts, read 53,832 times

Advertisements

You're all driving me nuts! Why can't everyone come to agreement to which parts of SD are safe and which are not. One poster will say there is a bad spot the next person will reply and say it's very nice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 01:01 PM

20 posts, read 53,832 times
It may not be a bad idea to post the hot spots for crime areas using a map and pin the thread to the top. Maybe a resident who has lived in the area for many years? Sound like an idea?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:05 PM

8,846 posts, read 12,567,833 times
Subscribe to the SDPD ecrimewatch for the areas that you think are bad. Even "expensive" neighborhoods have problems, none of them are pefect.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:26 PM

108 posts, read 249,543 times
here is my two cents
San Diego is very safe for it's size. I find it funny when people consider certain areas of SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA ghetto. I would much rather live in the "ghetto" of SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA than any other ghetto in the country. Of course you are going to have problem areas, but nothing to the point of needing to call in the national guard like Chicago may have to this summer. It's San Diego for christ sake

Old 06-08-2010, 06:58 PM

10,402 posts, read 13,940,611 times
This thread should help:
Neighborhoods in Greater SD

Old 06-09-2010, 03:48 PM

1,658 posts, read 5,176,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Subscribe to the SDPD ecrimewatch for the areas that you think are bad. Even "expensive" neighborhoods have problems, none of them are pefect.
I was going to say that.I moved from the rougher parts of CV out to Rancho Del Rey and there is just as much crime in East CV as West CV;granted the crime is different between the two,but crime is still crime.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:05 PM

8 posts, read 32,057 times
I guess it's a matter of perspective. But I think all can agree that La Jolla is one of the best places in SD, and I would say that City Heights and Southeast are some of the "worst" places.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 18,022 times
can we get a zip code breakdown? in the process of relocation but have no idea what "city heights" or "southeast" represents from a zip perspective. what are the good zip codes? is North Park, South Park, Midtown, University Heights, Mission Hills, University City all O.K.?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:02 PM

2,147 posts, read 2,375,612 times
Depends on what type of safety you are talking about.
And, please, OP, search the threads on this subject.
I know Sassberto moderator has posted about this effectively, for sure, in the past.

You won't fear for your physical safety really anywhere in SD.
Unless, perhaps, you are out late and night in suspect areas doing unsavory things.

You need to take ordinary precautions, but as a whole, SD is known for it's safety relative to it's size.

What type of safety and crime and you talking anyway?

We've had our cars stolen and broken into twice, living in normal heights/north park area, but this area has one of the highest incidence of auto theft in SD. Check by zip code. And if you haven't, then visit SD and look around. It's quite safe.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:03 PM

2,147 posts, read 2,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullnelson3 View Post
can we get a zip code breakdown? in the process of relocation but have no idea what "city heights" or "southeast" represents from a zip perspective. what are the good zip codes? is North Park, South Park, Midtown, University Heights, Mission Hills, University City all O.K.?
Google the zip codes for goodness sake!!!!!

And, these areas of central SD can really be hit or miss-so the same zip code address in North Park or UH or MH, for example, can have two very different options=one fantastic, good street/neighborhood, the other semi-hood.

These are the older parts of SD with older (for san diego) housing and neighborhoods. They vary greatly even w/in zip codes. Best to search the names and avoid southeast and city heights altogether. But, on the other hand, people have been known to advertise south kensington, which is really city heights, and mission hills really gets into little italy/downtown territory, but ads will still say MH. Read: MH proper is quite nice and has a great rep.; other areas called MH=not so much.

This is when you start asking about certain parts of areas...ie, in Normal Heights, north of Adams Ave is generally good. South of Adams Ave is more hit or miss.

Again, this is not to say your personal safety is at risk-just speaking in terms of more gentrified and consistent streets/areas, when it says 'hit or miss'. Cuz you prob. don't want to be next to a crack house. or meth lab.

Last edited by lrmsd; 06-15-2010 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego