U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2010, 10:04 PM

10 posts, read 44,479 times
Default Has anyone been to Angels Camp? What are fun things to do for families?

My wife and I + our 3 little boys (ages 7, 4, 1) are going out to Angels Camps later this month. We've never been out to that area and know basically nothing about it.

What fun things do you recommend in that area? ...especially for families with young children.

Museums? Hikes? Any lakes with easily accessed shoreline for wading, etc?

Your suggestions are so appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 11:58 PM

24,771 posts, read 27,759,250 times
That is a small town, so I don't think there's much to do in Angels Camp itself... if you have time, take a day-trip to Yosemite and maybe Stockton. That's all I can suggest!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:04 AM

24,771 posts, read 27,759,250 times
Oh, but I do know that it's one of the old mining towns... so if you can find a place that offers "tourist gold mining," that's usually a fun activity. I remember doing that somewhere (probably in that general area) when I was a kid, and it was super cool. It also looks like their big attraction is Moaning Caverns, where you can go exploring and rappelling.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 AM

6,047 posts, read 11,145,009 times
try this: www.visitcalaveras.com give them a call and they'll send you the county magazine.

There's lots to do if you're going to base yourself in AC. I'd take a trip up to Big Trees State Park, the youngsters will be impressed. White Pines Lake next to Arnold is a great place to wade/swim and there is a Logging Museum next to the lake. I'd also suggest a cave tour if it's a hot day the temperature in the caves is 59 degrees! The Angels Camp museum is a really good one and if you get a chance to leave the kids with someone, Murphys has lots of wine tasting opportunities and fine dining.

After you fall in love with the area, you can come see me and buy a house! LOL j/k

Old 06-12-2010, 09:52 AM

10 posts, read 44,479 times
Great suggestions! Thank you. I think we'll take a look at Big Trees State Park, sounds like something the kids would love. We were hoping to wade/swim somewhere as well, so sounds like a good day trip all around.

Some kind of gold rush-related activity is definitely something I hope to do as well. Kids would love that.

The Calaveras website is helpful. I think it's gocalaveras.com now, by the way. A lot of great ideas there. Thanks!

Old 06-12-2010, 08:38 PM

705 posts, read 875,944 times
Go stop by Black Sheep Winery and do a tasting, its lovely, its in Murphy's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland