Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
well here is an idea: if you live in a city where about 25% of the police force is about to get pink slipped when the city already has the highest crime rate out 99% of cities in the state, its probably does not have a healthy middle class.
But it DOES have a middle class and they can be found in many better than just decent neighborhoods. I am talking about middle income areas where residents show a pride in ownership, where they feel safe and where they have created solid neighborhoods. Frick is an example.

Neighboring Maxwell Park is another very good candidate:

http://www.kphillips.com/listings/34715_IMAGE1.jpg (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I think this is where I mention Measure Y tax money they've been grabbing for more than a few years now that we STILL have seen no value from.
Well, crime is down 18% year over year so far in 2010.

Another area that really intrigues me is Jefferson/Harrington. It interests me because its has a relatively high average household income of $71,553 AND Hispanics are the largest group and that's interesting. Its sort of Oakland's Mexican version of Baldwin Hills(LOL).

Does LA even have an area like that?

Old 06-18-2010, 08:29 AM

[quote=lmk1707;14665763]But people live in Coastal CA and not elsewhere for a reason - and the main reason is preference. Don't get me wrong, every once in awhile I'll peruse real estate in some state like Michigan or New Hampshire and gawk at how much house I could afford, but my preference is here, and I'm not alone.

Quote:
API scores aren't as important as good parenting - my cousin went to a high school in Vallejo that had an API score of 600, and she just graduated from Stanford with honors.
Yes. Most of the elementary schools in the neighborhoods I bring up have a very strong sense of parental involvement.

Seqouia in Upper Dimond, Fruitvale, Maxwell Park etc. I have been to those schools and its very evident that parents are very much involved in what's going on there and the environment is condusive for a child to succeed if they put forth the effort.

Obviously the middle and high school level leave a lot to be desired but it still boils down to the student and what they are willing to do to make good grades and succeed. Oakland High, my alma mater, is a school I would trust my kids to go to anyday of the week. Another thing I have noticed about the Oakland Public School District today as opposed to when I was a kid is that its much more flexible as far as kids being able to go to schools outside their area as well as options with respect to high school. My niece for example chose a Charter school whose students attended some classes at Merritt College and imo, that's actually better than AP classes in High School.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:11 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Quote:
Neighboring Maxwell Park is another very good candidate:
For those considering Maxwell Park, just check the crime report for the neighborhood:
Maxwell Park, Oakland, CA Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

TWO deadly assaults in the past week. Not an area you would want to raise a family. FYI for those looking to buy in the East Bay. Even the neighborhoods considered "nice" by residents, aren't really at all.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
For those considering Maxwell Park, just check the crime report for the neighborhood:
Maxwell Park, Oakland, CA Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

TWO deadly assaults in the past week.
Nope.

Those were 2 domestic violence incidents. And neither were deadly.

Speaking of which, Oakland's murder rate is down 20% from last year so far in 2010.

Quote:
Not an area you would want to raise a family.
Maxwell Park is a fine neighborhood that is a tightly knit community and residents show a real pride of ownership.

And your opinion has been rendered meaningless in this subforum because we all now know that all your comments here are based on racist attitudes towards minorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic
For instance, I routinely serve less food at the restaurant I work at to Hispanics. They are none the wiser.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13447406-post62.html
They may be none the wiser, but we most certainly are.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:27 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, crime is down 18% year over year so far in 2010.
The measure Y money is mostly a level of staffing measure (60% of the money) -- and OPD has never met the level of staffing required. The primary thing it was supposed to do was never done.

A lot of people feel the measure is a money grab.

And now -- even more so, with us losing 190 some officers.

AND -- it's been in effect for six years..... so the dramatic fall in crime? Show me cause and effect that measure y has something to do with it. This is not a chicken egg thing....

Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 AM

Durant Manor is another diamond in the rough. I like this neighborhood because its pretty quiet and they keep their homes nice. Located in the Deep East, DM borders San Leandro.

Durant Manor
Average Family Income: $56,306
Pop. Density: 6,686 per sq mile

3bd/3bth $369,000

3bd/1bth $221,900

5bd/3bth $349,000

Durant Manor has seen many newer housing units come online in recent years-and that's interesting. Much of it just behind Durant Square.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The measure Y money is mostly a level of staffing measure (60% of the money) -- and OPD has never met the level of staffing required. The primary thing it was supposed to do was never done.

A lot of people feel the measure is a money grab.

And now -- even more so, with us losing 190 some officers.

AND -- it's been in effect for six years..... so the dramatic fall in crime? Show me cause and effect that measure y has something to do with it. This is not a chicken egg thing....
Points well taken.

Oakland's crime decrease is part of a greater national trend.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nope.

Those were 2 domestic violence incidents. And neither were deadly.

Speaking of which, Oakland's murder rate is down 20% from last year so far in 2010.

Maxwell Park is a fine neighborhood that is a tightly knit community and residents show a real pride of ownership.
The neighborhood has had almost a dozen robberies and thefts this month alone, and June isn't even over. Add the assaults, and the rampant vandalism, and you have a neighborhood that would be an absolute headache to live in.

How can you recommend such a crime infested neighborhood to people who want to buy a home in the Bay Area? People want to get value for their money. They want a safe neighborhood to raise their children. They want schools that actually graduate kids! Maxwell Park isn't any of that.

You know how many violent assaults occurred in my neighborhood this year?

ZERO. It's not a normal thing to have violent assaults in your neighborhood on a daily basis FYI.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:40 AM

227 posts, read 538,477 times
I think the discussion is interesting, because (most) everyone has valid points. I live in Millsmont, and it's a mixed bag--probably 2/3 of the folks are lower-to solidly middle class in the area (probably earning between $80-160K with 0-2 kids), and then we have the other apx. 1/3 of the folks who are in government-assisted housing or legacy homes/apartments who are likely low income and some with substance/criminal issues.

On my block, we have quite a few couples and intact families. Most of us are college educated and work either white collar or blue collar jobs (those that are vocationally trained). We have several same-sex couples, and a mix of black, white, Filipino, Korean, and Latino cultures on the block. The homes on either side of me have stay-at-home mothers (isn't that Wally and Beaver enough for you).

As most things in Oakland, the biggest challenges we all face as middle-class families in our area are--quality of life crime traditionally that is morphing into occasionally a higher priority crime issue (based on what I see on our neighborhood email group, not what I've experienced personally) most of the problems stemming from renters and those living in "legacy homes"; education (so far we either have pre-school kids or gotten our kids into decent elementary schools (we are no longer served by a nearby elementary school), but middle school and high school will be a challenge no matter how you slice it). We also suffer from "small home syndrome". Many of us are in 2bd/1ba homes. While it's great in a way because we really pare down to essentials and don't overload our homes with extra crap, we'd also like an extra bathroom and usually an extra bedroom and a family room, since most of us have more than one kid. So at some point, some of us will have to move or build. The housing stock is really varied on the other hand, so it's possible to get a bigger home in the neighborhood if you really want to stay in the area.

It's those issues that cause some of us to include other cities like Albany, Alameda, or the suburbs as options for the next house, even though most of us would prefer to stay in Oakland if at all possible. Most of us really like Oakland, our homes, and many of the people in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland