U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2010, 02:56 PM

24,581 posts, read 29,948,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Agreed.
Yes, just skimming the homes for sale in Mission Viejo-a $650,000 home and such an enormous lot would be fetch well over $1 Million in Maxwell Park.

But then, we're comparing a distant insignificant suburb to a urbane, revelent and vibrant city.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:00 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,751,873 times
Yeah, it's cool to pay for more. More rape, more assaults, more murders, but unfortunately less cops.

Oakland considers losing up to 200 police officers - California State Wire - fresnobee.com (http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/06/21/1979049/oakland-considers-losing-up-to.html - broken link)

Old 06-28-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Of course families with school age children are concerned about schools... People that live in stellar areas still send children to private schools.
But the average American middle-class family simply doesn't have the finances to send their children to private schools.

Quote:
Went to School with Tom Hanks... he seems to be doing well
That's great. How does this help the middle-class family get their children into great public schools?

Quote:
You can't have it both ways... on the one hand you state how someone loitering in Piedmont for 30 minutes would be noticed and then totally discount the same thing just because the same holds true for my Oakland neighborhood...

Entertaining... I'll have to give you that
Okay, so you live in a good Oakland neighborhood. Good for you.

What about the other 99% of the city? Especially in light of this:
Oakland considers losing up to 200 police officers - California State Wire - fresnobee.com (http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/06/21/1979049/oakland-considers-losing-up-to.html - broken link)

See the thing is, what I've said applies to ALL of Piedmont, while you're saying it applies to "a small part of Oakland".

Seriously, what an incredibly selfish attitude. "Things are great in my part of town! Who cares about the rest of the city?"

Old 06-28-2010, 04:13 PM

13,121 posts, read 23,405,339 times
Quote:
But the average American middle-class family simply doesn't have the finances to send their children to private schools.

That's great. How does this help the middle-class family get their children into great public schools?

Okay, so you live in a good Oakland neighborhood. Good for you.

What about the other 99% of the city? Especially in light of this:

See the thing is, what I've said applies to ALL of Piedmont, while you're saying it applies to "a small part of Oakland".

Seriously, what an incredibly selfish attitude. "Things are great in my part of town! Who cares about the rest of the city?"
Clearly a failure to communicate...

Tom Hanks went to Skyline High School in Oakland... it's a public school

I'm far from being in the top 1% in my city... at the time I purchase my home it was within a $1000 of the median price of homes sold... in other words... half the homes sold were less expensive and half more expensive

Selfish is throwing rocks from the outside hoping to break a few windows and then proclaim how hopelessly bad things are from hundreds of miles away.

Piedmont is a bedroom community... as you have said many times... almost exclusively residential... doesn't change the fact that Piedmont residents must travel through Oakland to and from home... If the reality was anywhere as you would have us believe.... why would anyone, wealthy at that... risk driving through Oakland just to live in Piedmont???

The OPD is posturing to save jobs and pensions... We, the citizens of Oakland want a balanced budget and as you have said... the Oakland budget isn't... so, city leaders are making cuts to balance the budget... what's the problem???

Old 06-28-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Clearly a failure to communicate...

Tom Hanks went to Skyline High School in Oakland... it's a public school
I still don't see the relevance of this. Tom Hanks went to High School in the early 1970s. Oakland isn't the same place it was 40 years ago.

Quote:
I'm far from being in the top 1% in my city... at the time I purchase my home it was within a $1000 of the median price of homes sold... in other words... half the homes sold were less expensive and half more expensive
Again, irrelevant. When did you purchase your home? You went to high school with Tom Hanks? I'm guessing it was a long time ago.

Quote:
Selfish is throwing rocks from the outside hoping to break a few windows and then proclaim how hopelessly bad things are from hundreds of miles away.
Selfish can also be denying a problem exist, then inviting unwitting newcomers to come and live in a cesspool of crime when you could have warned them about the dangers. In fact, some might call that manslaughter.

Quote:
Piedmont is a bedroom community... as you have said many times... almost exclusively residential... doesn't change the fact that Piedmont residents must travel through Oakland to and from home... If the reality was anywhere as you would have us believe.... why would anyone, wealthy at that... risk driving through Oakland just to live in Piedmont???
Umm yes?

See you're presenting a weak straw man. Just because Piedmont residents have to "drive through" Oakland, doesn't mean they are encountering the same dangers a normal Oakland Citizen does.

It's not like they're hanging out in the Oakland neighborhoods and mingling with the locals. They are driving through, like you stated, and going to their own wealthy communities. Irvine is located on the border of Santa, and Irvine citizens drive through Santa Ana all the time. Doesn't mean they get out of their car and hang out with the locals.

A better comparison would simply be the crime rate between the two cities. Is Piedmont safe? Yes. Does Piedmont have luxury housing available? Yes.

Bingo.

Quote:
The OPD is posturing to save jobs and pensions... We, the citizens of Oakland want a balanced budget and as you have said... the Oakland budget isn't... so, city leaders are making cuts to balance the budget... what's the problem???
The problem is Oakland desperately needs those cops.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM

205 posts, read 25,362 times
^^^^^^^^^^ Everybody in Oakland knows that all Piedmont Residents stay confined to their Piedmont homes. They never go out and eat at one of the many great restaurants in Oakland city limits. NEVER . No way, they speed through Oakland to get to Piedmont, even though the area of Oakland surrounding piedmont is not bad. They fear for their lives. Especially all the Kaiser thugs that work in Oakland surrounding piedmont and Auto row thugs that might wonder up to Piedmont. All Piedmont residents drive IED proof Humvee's in order to get to their small little city.

Slap yourself.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 PM

7,009 posts, read 9,286,624 times
Quote:
There are very few people who would call a "hot pink" house, with checkered kitchen tile "charming".
Are you kidding? I FREAKIN' LOVE IT! Finally, something not done in neutral tones. And that house isn't hot pink. It's more pastel.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:51 PM

115 posts, read 264,785 times
I am wondering who post here actually live in Oakland. I lived in Oakland for about 35 years. In my opinon, a person has to see the area on their own to experience how it is.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Are you kidding? I FREAKIN' LOVE IT! Finally, something not done in neutral tones. And that house isn't hot pink. It's more pastel.
Just because YOU love it, doesn't mean it's going to be popular or a great seller. That home has horrible curb appeal, and interior appeal. I wouldn't even list or represent that dump.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 AM

24,581 posts, read 29,948,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamen View Post
I am wondering who post here actually live in Oakland. I lived in Oakland for about 35 years. In my opinon, a person has to see the area on their own to experience how it is.
I live in Oakland and New Jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom
Yes, I love the color too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland