Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 04:39 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,252,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
wow! thanks for all the input everyone
and thanks for the pics 18montclair

i guess i should elaborate on my tolerance level
i lived in the south side of chicago
and off of 54th and Slauson in LA (worst area i ever lived in)

I just don't want to live in a neighborhood where I hear helicopters hovering over my neighborhood
or here/see gang related crap
when I lived off of Slauson there were shootings almost every weekend and the LAPD would create a perimeter around the shooting making it impossible to get into my neighborhood until everything was cleaned up

so as long as I don't have to deal with anything like that I'm ok...
Well here's what you'll be dealing with only a half a mile away from where you live if you choose to live there:

Video of Drive By Shooting in that area caught on LIVE TV:
http://www.youtube.com/v/9Hct6pbboNk&h

When it comes down to it, it's your money, and you can spend it how you want to. But trust me when I say I have no bias when it comes to real estate (I own property all over the country), and I only want to give the best advice when it comes to new comers. You say you've lived in LA, so you must be well acquainted with cities like Watts and Compton. Trust me when I say that both are Beverly Hills when compared to East Oakland. The people posting pictures of doctored real estate pictures have an insidious motive when trying to convince you to move to Oakland. Many of them are only living in Oakland because that's all they could afford, and if they could afford more, they would GLADLY move out of the city and avoid it's crime problem. But they want YOU to move into their city so that their property values don't fall too hard, and then they become more stuck in the cesspool that Oakland is.

The city is facing a budget deficit and is going to lose 1/4 of its police force in less than a year. What effect do you think that will have in terms of the violent crime in the city? Do you really want to put yourself in harms way just to save a few bucks? Look elsewhere, seriously.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:02 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Type of crime is important too.

In East Oakland, you'll encounter FAR more violent crime than you will in Nob Hill. Oakland has the HIGHEST violent crime rate in the state.

Some people have higher tolerance to drug dealing, and prostitution because it's mostly non-violent, just an eye sore.

In East Oakland, the crimes are more like "car jacking, violent assault, and armed robbery."
Within a .2 mile radius of the center of Nob Hill, there were 3 violent crimes.
Within a .25 mile radius of Brookdale & 55th, there were 6 violent crimes.

Within a .5 mile radius of the center of Nob Hill, there were 29 violent crimes.
Within a .5 mile radius of Brookdale & 55th, there were 27 violent crimes.

The metrics for the SF site were a little weird; I included only "assault," "homocide," and "robbery" and didn't include weapons incidents (i.e. "person with gun") as I wasn't sure if violence was related. In the Oakland neighborhood, I included assault, robbery, and murder, though there were no murders in either place.

Pretty comparable, actually.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:05 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
wow! thanks for all the input everyone
and thanks for the pics 18montclair

i guess i should elaborate on my tolerance level
i lived in the south side of chicago
and off of 54th and Slauson in LA (worst area i ever lived in)

I just don't want to live in a neighborhood where I hear helicopters hovering over my neighborhood
or here/see gang related crap
when I lived off of Slauson there were shootings almost every weekend and the LAPD would create a perimeter around the shooting making it impossible to get into my neighborhood until everything was cleaned up

so as long as I don't have to deal with anything like that I'm ok...
Then you'll be okay. The area of Oakland your talking about is much quieter and slower paced than what ur used to in LA.

I would even venture to say that Maxwell Park and Frick are like a lightweight Ladera Heights because both MP and Frick are predominantly Black and have many middle and upper middle income Black households.

Not as visibly wealthy as Ladera Heights, but demographically in the same vein.

Anyway, good luck to you.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:09 PM

205 posts, read 211,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post

Within a .5 mile radius of the center of Nob Hill, there were 29 violent crimes.

The metrics for the SF site were a little weird; I included only "assault," "homocide," and "robbery" and didn't include weapons incidents (i.e. "person with gun") as I wasn't sure if violence was related. In the Oakland neighborhood, I included assault, robbery, and murder, though there were no murders in either place.

That fool does not care what you post for him. Please research who you're responding to. It's best to either insult him or ignore him. He's an idiot loser who's never been here yet spends all his time cutting and pasting the same nonsense over and over.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Yes but .5 miles from the radius of Nob Hill is the tenderloin which is one of the worst areas of S.F.

So yes, they are similar except Nob Hill is actually a high class area, and the border of Seminary isn't. So the OP gets all the bad without ANY of the good. Thanks for helping me prove my point.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:33 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times
the first photo mr fantastic posted illustrates my problem with mr fantastic and his problem with oakland.
the lower photo someone is obviously alarming .dangerous for the participants and innocent bystanders.
mr fantastic equates that photo to the top photo is 3 young people riding in the street on colorfully decorated bicycles. maybe they should have helmets and stay out of the center of the street

mr fantastic finds black people scary even when they are just riding bikes without helmets.think about it he posts this pointing to show how dangerous this area is and posts picture of 3 young men riding bikes thinking "oH my god! look how scary this picture is !"
i personally don't find it scary but it may be relative
where i grew up a kid older than 11 years old with that crap on his bike would get his a&% kicked

Last edited by ssmaster; 06-24-2010 at 05:41 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 05:38 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Yes but .5 miles from the radius of Nob Hill is the tenderloin which is one of the worst areas of S.F.

So yes, they are similar except Nob Hill is actually a high class area, and the border of Seminary isn't. So the OP gets all the bad without ANY of the good. Thanks for helping me prove my point.
That's a bit of a red herring; your argument was regarding crime, not "classiness," and the OP was looking for relative crime-levels, not relative classiness-levels. Levels of "class" cannot be measured in objective units.

evolve: Sorry for the tangent - hopefully we've given you enough info to help your decision. Personally, given your criteria it seems like you'd like this neighborhood just fine.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:49 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
T
evolve: given your criteria it seems like you'd like this neighborhood just fine.
basically.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
That's a bit of a red herring; your argument was regarding crime, not "classiness," and the OP was looking for relative crime-levels, not relative classiness-levels. Levels of "class" cannot be measured in objective units.

evolve: Sorry for the tangent - hopefully we've given you enough info to help your decision. Personally, given your criteria it seems like you'd like this neighborhood just fine.
I never said it was about "classiness", that's something you assumed on your own.

My point was that both areas have lots of crime surrounding the area. But Nob Hill is considerably nicer in its immediate area than the border of Maxell/Seminary. So there is a benefit to living in Nob Hill, while there really isn't much benefit to living on 55th and Brookdale.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
I'll explain what I meant by "baseline crime rate of living in a city" a little more. While statistics are, as you say, very black and white, applying the statistics to make a useful generalization about whether or not an area is safe requires some amount of relativity; otherwise no one would live anywhere where any crime has ever happened, out of fear.

You're right that there's an additional variable of personal tolerance; however we don't know the OP's personal situation, therefore some clarification in that matter would probably be useful.

Here's an example: Nob Hill has a fair amount of crime in its own neighborhood, and a large amount of crime nearby (1/2 mile away in the Tenderloin). Yet, people consider Nob Hill a good place to live - and it is.

Now, let's look at Nob Hill as compares to the OP's potential place to live, just in terms of crime stats. I tried to give them equal billing in terms of radius, and show more blocks around Brookdale than I did from the center of Nob Hill since SF's blocks are longer:

Brookdale Ave:

Nob Hill:

The ?s in Nob Hill vary as to crime; everything from "petty theft" to "sex crimes."
Fist fight out in front of the Fairmont! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland