Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 05:14 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
I think there are some extremely dangerous parts of Oakland that people should avoid living in. However, this neighborhood isn't one of them.
He is incapable of grasping this simple truth. Mainly because he wants so bad for Oakland to fit the stereotype he's been conditioned to believe are the facts about Oakland.

Too bad for him that Oakland has proven itself to be a city of contrasts that all his silly rantings will never conceal.

LOL

Old 06-25-2010, 05:26 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Quote:
My opinion is wrong? According to whom?
According to statistics gathered by local law enforcement:

East Oakland (Seminary & Maxwell Park) Violent Crime in the past 7 days:
6/23/2010: Strong Armed Robbery, 58xx International Blvd.
6/22/2010: Violent Assault, Man hit with a crowbar, Holway St.
6/22/2010: Robbery, Victim held up at gunpoint, Seminay Ave.
6/20/2010: Gun fire, suspect at large, E 15th Street.
6/19/2010: Gang fight. 2 arrested, Holway St.
6/19/2010: Robbery. Car Jacking with firearm, 61xx E 17th Street.

I looked at the 7 day history of "violent crime" for Nob Hill, and couldn't find a SINGLE car jacking at gunpoint, robbery at gunpoint, discharged weapon crime, or a single gang fight. In fact, the majority of Nob Hill crimes are theft, just as I stated earlier in the thread.

That's why you're point doesn't stand.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:43 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
According to statistics gathered by local law enforcement:

East Oakland (Seminary & Maxwell Park) Violent Crime in the past 7 days:
6/23/2010: Strong Armed Robbery, 58xx International Blvd.
6/22/2010: Violent Assault, Man hit with a crowbar, Holway St.
6/22/2010: Robbery, Victim held up at gunpoint, Seminay Ave.
6/20/2010: Gun fire, suspect at large, E 15th Street.
6/19/2010: Gang fight. 2 arrested, Holway St.
6/19/2010: Robbery. Car Jacking with firearm, 61xx E 17th Street.

I looked at the 7 day history of "violent crime" for Nob Hill, and couldn't find a SINGLE car jacking at gunpoint, robbery at gunpoint, discharged weapon crime, or a single gang fight. In fact, the majority of Nob Hill crimes are theft, just as I stated earlier in the thread.

That's why you're point doesn't stand.
The only problem with your doctored-up stats is that they're not within a specified boundary from the neighborhood in question, nor have you listed what the violent crimes in Nob Hill consisted of.

East 15th Street is 2.8 miles away at its nearest point to Brookdale and 55th. What sorta crime stats could Nob Hill pull up if you want to expand the search parameter to 3 miles away?

At .7 miles away, Holway's a little closer, but then again, .7 miles from Nob Hill places one solidly in the Tenderloin.

The OP wanted to know about the immediate area, and I think we can assume he's smart enough not to walk 2.8 miles into the most dangerous area of Oakland, right?

Old 06-25-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
The only problem with your doctored-up stats
Yeah I'm sure OPD likes to "doctor up" their stats to make their city look worse.

Quote:
At .7 miles away, Holway's a little closer, but then again, .7 miles from Nob Hill places one solidly in the Tenderloin.
0.5 miles from Nob Hill puts you in the Tenderloin as well, that wasn't the point I was making. Whether it's .5 or .7 miles, you won't find a "gang fight" report in Nob Hill, or a man being assaulted with a crow bar for crying out loud.

The area is indisputable violent, and no one wants to live less than a mile away from gang territory.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
He is incapable of grasping this simple truth. Mainly because he wants so bad for Oakland to fit the stereotype he's been conditioned to believe are the facts about Oakland.

Too bad for him that Oakland has proven itself to be a city of contrasts that all his silly rantings will never conceal.

LOL
Yep. It's not hard to imagine people being happy here - I'm happy here, my friends who've all moved here recently are happy here, my neighbors are happy (so happy it floweth over; I can't walk down the street without getting in a few conversations), not to mention all the people I don't know who I'm assuming are living perfectly happy, well-balanced lives. I'm sure that encompasses quite a swath of demographics, and it's entirely possible that OP's part of one of them. There's a really great vibe in a lot of Oakland neighborhoods, people always smile, stop for pedestrians, call out friendly greetings - it's a bit like people in the Midwest.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure OPD likes to "doctor up" their stats to make their city look worse.

0.5 miles from Nob Hill puts you in the Tenderloin as well, that wasn't the point I was making. Whether it's .5 or .7 miles, you won't find a "gang fight" report in Nob Hill, or a man being assaulted with a crow bar for crying out loud.

The area is indisputable violent, and no one wants to live less than a mile away from gang territory.
OPD didn't doctor the stats, you did - you chose statistics that are irrelevant to the discussion at hand, of neighborhoods. .7 miles away places one solidly into another neighborhood from the one in question, and 2.8 miles away is not only not the same neighborhood, there are a good 5 neighborhoods in between that one and the one in question.

I can't cite the specific violent crimes within .5 miles of the center of Nob Hill because the SFPD only listed "Assault," but to me it seems like assault with a crowbar, assault with a pistol whip, or assault with a strong angry fist are all things I wouldn't want to be a part of, and I wouldn't really see one as being significantly better than the other. If someone doesn't want to be less than a mile away from gang activity, would they want to be less than a mile away from the other violent activity of the Tenderloin?

If you can find the .5 mile radius crime stats that are specific to both places, I'll be happy to look them over, but in the meantime your argument is irrelevant.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
people always smile, stop for pedestrians, call out friendly greetings - it's a bit like people in the Midwest.
Except places like Farmington Hills, Michigan don't have 124 homicides in a single year.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:

If you can find the .5 mile radius crime stats that are specific to both places, I'll be happy to look them over, but in the meantime your argument is irrelevant.
Translation: After bringing up the silly comparison between East Oakland and Nob Hill, I've been solidly backed into a corner and can't defend having gang activity less than a mile away from one's home as being safe and acceptable. The statistics and crime reports have sunk my point completely, so I'll call it a day and beat a hasty retreat.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Translation: After bringing up the silly comparison between East Oakland and Nob Hill, I've been solidly backed into a corner and can't defend having gang activity less than a mile away from one's home as being safe and acceptable.
Actually, I'm saying that one incident of gang activity .7 miles away does not constitute a "dangerous neighborhood."

I see you want to expand the radius to within 1 mile of the neighborhood. Okay, let's do this for Nob Hill, last 30 days:

- 425 violent crimes, total
- 82 robberies, weapon unspecified
- 272 assaults, weapon unspecified, site also lists murders as assaults, with caveat: "crimes are reported first as assaults"
- 153 reports of people with guns or knives

Just because the SFPD website doesn't have salient details like "with a crowbar" doesn't mean that the violent acts are any less harmful or traumatic for those involved.

Tell me - can you defend having 425 violent crimes less than a mile away from one's home as being safe and acceptable?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Tell me - can you defend having 425 violent crimes less than a mile away from one's home as being safe and acceptable?
Again, you cannot give specifics of the crimes. Assault can be simply a fist fight, which most of them probably are near Nob Hill. You can't compare Gang Activity to fist fighting. The type of crime is very important. Since you can't come up with specifics, we can use Nationally collected risk factors to see who is right:

Quote:
(100 is considered average)

Nob Hill Risk Factors -
Murder Risk: 98
Rape Risk: 74

Seminary/Maxwell Park Risk Factors (I used the zip code for the OP's area):
Murder Risk 398
Rape Risk 231
As you can see, these stats show that there is 4 times the risk of being murdered and 3 times the risk of being raped in the area the OP is thinking of moving to, compared to Nob Hill.

That being said, I've always said all along both neighborhoods are surrounded by shady areas, except for the fact that Nob Hill itself is populated with very rich families, and because of that, police presence, and safety is catered towards such. This isn't true of East Oakland. A silly comparison, then again, I didn't make it, you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland