Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,516 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I'm a college senior and I've been offered some jobs - most of them are on the East Coast, but surprisingly one was in San Francisco. I've never been to the West Coast, let alone the city. I am flying out next week to visit my prospective employer, see the offices, etc. however I wanted to ask some questions first.

1. How different is the city from the East Coast? I grew up in Westchester, NY. Am I going to have a hard time adjusting?

2. Making friends - easy or difficult?

3. On that note, is it difficult to join organizations like Junior League, country clubs, etc.?

4. What are the men like? I typically go for the clean-cut, all-American look. Will I find them? Where?

5. What's the best neighborhood for a 20-something Republican WASP? Does SF have its own version of the Upper East Side? If so, what is it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 08:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Junior League, Country Clubs, that's a good way to meet East Coast-y people. On the whole CA doesn't have that sort or upper crust/old money culture.

Your neighborhood is the MArina. It probably has the highest percentage of young white people in the Bay Area. That's also where you will find your future junior leaguers. Keep in mind this type of person is far from dominant in the greater Bay Area.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:48 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Yes, Jade is right on. Absolutely your neighborhood is the Marina then Nob Hill and Pacific Heights are close 2nd and thirds as you age in your WASPy Junior League self.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
If your contemplating on moving to SF why in the heck would you want to stick with your comfort zone. If it were me I would explore and experience the variety that the Bay Area, especially San Francisco has to offer. You can live any where in the city and still be involved with your stated interests. Moving across country to San Francisco and trying to replicate your comfort zone from the East Coast? That makes no sense. Make no mistake I am as Conservative as it gets however I understand the multitude of life experiences you are setting yourself up to miss just by your post. Stay on the right coast if you want what you already have. Go big or go home.

If I were you I would find a place in Height to live at first. Even the inner Sunset next to the Park.

By the way California has a lot of East Coast Style old money culture. Who do you think helped build San Francisco and the West Coast.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown east coast View Post
Hey all,

4. What are the men like? I typically go for the clean-cut, all-American look. Will I find them? Where?

5. What's the best neighborhood for a 20-something Republican WASP?

Seriously?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:04 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
I was born in a Boston suburb, and have visited the city a few times since. San Francisco is nothing at all like Boston. Boston feels big, impersonal, and somehow hostile to me. I always felt like I was small and insignificant there. San Francisco feels more cheerful and intimate, like something I can actually connect with on a personal level. It doesn't matter what neighborhood I go to, whether it's Bernal Heights or Hayes Valley or Noe Valley or Excelsior, I don't feel excluded.

But, I've never tried to hang out in Pacific Heights or the Marina. I did try Cow Hollow, twice, but each time I tried all the side streets and parking lots for a half-hour and couldn't find a single spot to park.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post

By the way California has a lot of East Coast Style old money culture. Who do you think helped build San Francisco and the West Coast.
Sure there are some, but they don't prominently influence the overall feel of the area. Just a few neighborhoods.

For example 99% of Manhattan (and Connecticut Suburbs) are east coast upper class styled. In the Bay Area you have a few SF, peninsula and east bay neighborhoods. But most well-off people come from tech. Different ideas and perspective on wealth. Most wealth in the Bay Area was earned not inherited. And we don't have the stock brokers. It is really a different scene.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:19 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Sure there are some, but they don't prominently influence the overall feel of the area. Just a few neighborhoods.

For example 99% of Manhattan (and Connecticut Suburbs) are east coast upper class styled. In the Bay Area you have a few SF, peninsula and east bay neighborhoods. But most well-off people come from tech. Different ideas and perspective on wealth. Most wealth in the Bay Area was earned not inherited. And we don't have the stock brokers. It is really a different scene.
We do have stock brokers, though.. the NYSE Arca is based in SoMa. But it's not on the same kind of scale as Wall Street, nor does it really influence the dynamics of the area.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
We do have stock brokers, though.. the NYSE Arca is based in SoMa. But it's not on the same kind of scale as Wall Street, nor does it really influence the dynamics of the area.
God point, but the number of actual finance workers is much fewer in the Bay. Agreed, it isn't really very important to the scene around here.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:42 AM

48 posts, read 148,256 times
Honestly, stay in NY. We don't want snobby people in Northern CA. Besides, SF is WAY to liberal for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland