U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:57 PM

16 posts, read 57,114 times
Default Best area of Berkeley

Hi, I am looking at Berkeley as a place to live while working in the financial district of SF. My husband and I are late 20's /early 30's and looking for a 1-2 bedroom in Berkeley for less than $2000 with two small dogs. I'd like to be close to BART and restaurants, but if possible I would like to NOT be in an apartment building that is 90% students. Can anyone help me define the non-student residential areas of Berkeley? Also, do the BART stations have a park-and-ride area or do you just have to walk to the station? If I can park my car near the station, I can live farther away.
Also, I am moving from Kent, OH where Kent State University is. I absolutely love the art community, farmer's market and independently owned shops of Kent, along with the old hippies . It sounds to me that Berkeley is similar except that it is a lot larger and has more high income residents (and doesn't have the depressing winter weather that we have here). I would love to hear input on your favorite places to go in Berkeley and the best restaurants.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 01:09 PM

11,835 posts, read 9,422,185 times
I'm not sure what the rents in Berkeley are running these days. However, your desires sound like you should be in North Berkeley somewhere or near it. Most of Berkeley is normal residential areas and Cal. hasn't taken over the city like many other college towns.

The North Berkeley BART station has a large parking lot. The neighborhoods there contain various small apartment complexes that should be fairly within your price range. You want to look in an area east of San Pablo ave. and west of Sacramento st. at least you want to be west of McGee ave. (which I think it's called a street now days and not ave.). That should put you within walking distance of the BART station. You can look south of University ave. but for proximity sakes, try to stay no farther south than Allston Way or maybe Bancroft Way.

Really nice streets in that area include Francisco st. and Virginia st. Delaware st., Berkeley Way and Hearst st. Hopkins is to your north and perhaps as far as you want to go. This whole area is really nice and quiet. I had a friend around your age who moved to that very area and loves it.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:07 PM

14,141 posts, read 14,755,092 times
I'd recommend North Berkeley too, particularly if you like quieter surroundings. It's more the "adult" side of town. However, the South side is much nicer now than when I went to school there in the 70s. I could be happy in just about any part of town as I find students an interesting and lively bunch to mingle with. Plus they're Bears!

I would recommed living fairly close to the University as there's usually a lot of great stuff going on there. Here are current listings on Craigslist:

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds "berkeley" - craigslist

As for shopping and dining, you'll have many days and nights to discover your own favorites. With the number of choices available, I'm sure you'll be able to develop a long list in pretty short order.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 06-26-2010 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 06:01 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,213,508 times
As a former resident of North Berkeley I agree with the above two posters. North Berkeley for sure.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:05 PM

One of the birthplaces of California Cuisine is in North Berkeley - Chez Panisse - still one of my all time favorite dining spots.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:10 PM

153 posts, read 217,034 times
^
Chez Panisse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Chez Panisse is a Berkeley, California restaurant known as the birthplace of California cuisine, a style credited to the restaurant's co-founder, Alice Waters.

Chez Panisse has been listed by Restaurant magazine from 2006 to 2008 as one of the top fifty restaurants in the world. In 2006 and 2007, Michelin awarded the restaurant a one-star rating in its guide to San Francisco Bay Area dining.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:44 PM

425 posts, read 80,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
One of the birthplaces of California Cuisine is in North Berkeley - Chez Panisse - still one of my all time favorite dining spots.
The gourmet ghetto is without a doubt the purest example of of a culture based on the cult of the golden calf . Green hedonism pure and simple. Not a complaint , simply an observation. It is a good place for a liberal to realize that they have arrived.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Dakota View Post
The gourmet ghetto is without a doubt the purest example of of a culture based on the cult of the golden calf . Green hedonism pure and simple. Not a complaint , simply an observation. It is a good place for a liberal to realize that they have arrived.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Oh and I'll take my golden calf rare please.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:37 PM

425 posts, read 80,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing. Oh and I'll take my golden calf rare please.
Well that is where I grew up more or less. They have done the same thing with the area they do with houses and yards. Over development pure and simple. I am simply pointing out what has happened. There are aspects to the whole affair that are very convenient. Then again I really don't buy into the posing and all of the chatter that goes on within the confines of that intersection. The farmers market on Thursdays up the street is as problematic as it is convenient and the prices are very high. Nothing really enlightening about the place. In fact it can be very superficial..

Old 06-26-2010, 07:54 PM

Perhaps we should stick to answering the OP's question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland