U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,720 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm moving to Emeryville (near Bay st) and I'm somewhat new to the East Bay. I was hoping some of you could give me advice on just really what to do in the area.

All I really know is that its close to the Bay bridge and there is some good shopping nearby.

So I'd really appreciate if you all could let me know some of your favorite spots around town (restaurants, nightlife, shopping, entertainment...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 01:18 AM

5,245 posts, read 6,743,140 times
Go to Ikea...?

There isn't much there, it's a tiny little town and it's where people from all around the Bay Area go for the strip malls and big-box stores that other towns don't have.

Oakland and Berkeley are nearby and have more stuff to do.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:27 AM

471 posts, read 714,535 times
There's a pretty good poker room in Emeryville - The Oaks. I wouldn't want to park my car there at night, but it's something to do there.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:31 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,443,822 times
aside from emery market and a cool bar called kitty's, there is nothing to do besides shop at bay street.

fret not, oakland and berkeley have way more to do and there are a 5-10 minute drive away- berkeley marina, lake merritt, jack london square, etc.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 AM

1,366 posts, read 1,777,400 times
I live in Emeryville! It all depends on what you like to do. There's actually a lot for a small place. Here are my thoughts:

-Outdoor activities: the area on the west side of I-80 has a very nice Marina that also links up with the Bayside trail. You can walk, rollerblade, jog, or bike there and enjoy great views of the City, Oakland, and Marin. Also nice for picnicking or BBQing on weekends. If you're in the middle of town, there are some cool little paths for walking your dog, most notably the "linear park" that runs diagonally through town (with some interruption on old blocks that aren't yet redeveloped). There is a new large neighborhood park at Hollis and 62nd that is also great -- basketball court, playground for kids, huge lawn that's used for picnicking, ultimate frisbee, kicking the soccer ball, etc.

-Food: we have a ton of places to eat or just chill with a cup of coffee. If chain restaurants aren't your thing, then there are cool local places like Townhouse, Summer Summer Thai Eatery, Bucci's, Aquarius Cafe, Ruby's, Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe (fun breakfast joint), Rotten City Pizza (take out only), Doyle Street Cafe (also a fun breakfast place). There is also the Emeryville Public Market, which is basically a food court with all kinds of independent food vendors (but not too spectacular). There's also a Chevy's Mexican restaurant on the waterfront, as well as Trader Vic's and a dim sum palace.

-Shopping and Movie Theaters: Emeryville is the area's main shopping district west of the Berkeley hills (aside from Berkeley's very charming Fourth Street, which is two freeway exits away and full of cool independent boutiques, restaurants, and places to hang out outdoors; but it's much smaller). Emeryville has the Public Marketplace, which has Borders books, the Public Market food court, a United Artists movie theater, a billiard place, a gym, and a huge (flagship) Peet's Coffee. That's about it. Bay Street has an enormous AMC Theater and IMAX, a bunch of mall stores (Banana Republic, Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Metropark, Steve Madden, etc). and a ton of cool places to eat, some of them small local chains and some big national ones (PF Chang's, CPK, Elephant Bar, Pasta Pomodoro, Pizza My Heart, Teacake Bake Shop, Fuddrucker's, Buckhorn Grill, Coldstone, Asqew Grill, Zao Noodle Bar). All restaurants have outdoor patios, and some are on the second level by the movie theater for nice views. There is a fun plaza area with adirondack chairs, fire pits, and live music on the weekends. As far as malls go, it's compact and nice to be outside. You also have IKEA of course, and your local shopping (Trader Joe's, Starbucks, BevMo, etc) at Powell Street Plaza.

-Art Studios: there are still some artists' studios around, but not like there used to be. Try to get some info on those and especially don't miss the October Art Walk thing they do one weekend, where all the galleries are open on one night.

-Nightlife: one guy said it, it's pretty much Kitty's Bar (cool place with a great patio), and some of the restaurants being open late (like Rudy's), but other than that, it's not a nightlife area. Uptown Oakland is a short drive away, as is Berkeley, as is the City!

Other than that, remember that Emeryville may not be the most exciting city in the world, but it's really tiny (7500 people), so there's quite a lot for being so small! And that also means you border Oakland and Berkeley, and we are very close to all parts of the Bay Area (including Marin), so it's just a quick hop anywhere.

I really like it here!

Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 AM

12,757 posts, read 10,798,458 times
As others have said, Emeryville is not much bigger than your thumbnail. There's shopping and the marketplace, there's a movie theater as well. Everything is in Oakland and Berkeley, both of which engulf Emeryville's eastern, southern, and northern boundaries. Emeryville is nice however and you won't be far from anything.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:38 AM

527 posts, read 872,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
the area on the west side of I-80 has a very nice Marina that also links up with the Bayside trail. You can walk, rollerblade, jog, or bike there and enjoy great views of the City, Oakland, and Marin.
Agree with this - it's a very pretty walk on that little peninsula around Trader Vic's with all the sailboats, there's a wooden walkway that meanders along the edge, very nice at sunset/nighttime especially.

Quote:
There's also a Chevy's Mexican restaurant on the waterfront
Chevy's food isn't the best, but this one has a beautiful view, and if you can snag a table at the window during happy hour it's one of the cheapest eats for the best views you can get in the Bay Area.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:39 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,967,296 times
Emeryville is great and the Movie Complex area is a nice place to spend a Friday night, if you don't get any thugs and wannabes acting like idiots during your visit.

One time I went to see a movie there and 4-5 guys came into the movie theater drunk as ****, and screaming profanity and screaming "510 b*tches! Oakland fo life!!!" Honestly it was horrible. For almost 2 hours these jokers were chatting and laughing loudly throughout the movie, and no one wanted to do anything because these wannabes looked like they might be packing guns.

Anyway, sometimes you have to deal with that and it's a pain.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:50 PM

25,077 posts, read 32,511,080 times
Quote:
I live in Emeryville! It all depends on what you like to do. There's actually a lot for a small place. Here are my thoughts:

-Outdoor activities: the area on the west side of I-80 has a very nice Marina that also links up with the Bayside trail. You can walk, rollerblade, jog, or bike there and enjoy great views of the City, Oakland, and Marin. Also nice for picnicking or BBQing on weekends. If you're in the middle of town, there are some cool little paths for walking your dog, most notably the "linear park" that runs diagonally through town (with some interruption on old blocks that aren't yet redeveloped). There is a new large neighborhood park at Hollis and 62nd that is also great -- basketball court, playground for kids, huge lawn that's used for picnicking, ultimate frisbee, kicking the soccer ball, etc.

-Food: we have a ton of places to eat or just chill with a cup of coffee. If chain restaurants aren't your thing, then there are cool local places like Townhouse, Summer Summer Thai Eatery, Bucci's, Aquarius Cafe, Ruby's, Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe (fun breakfast joint), Rotten City Pizza (take out only), Doyle Street Cafe (also a fun breakfast place). There is also the Emeryville Public Market, which is basically a food court with all kinds of independent food vendors (but not too spectacular). There's also a Chevy's Mexican restaurant on the waterfront, as well as Trader Vic's and a dim sum palace.

-Shopping and Movie Theaters: Emeryville is the area's main shopping district west of the Berkeley hills (aside from Berkeley's very charming Fourth Street, which is two freeway exits away and full of cool independent boutiques, restaurants, and places to hang out outdoors; but it's much smaller). Emeryville has the Public Marketplace, which has Borders books, the Public Market food court, a United Artists movie theater, a billiard place, a gym, and a huge (flagship) Peet's Coffee. That's about it. Bay Street has an enormous AMC Theater and IMAX, a bunch of mall stores (Banana Republic, Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Metropark, Steve Madden, etc). and a ton of cool places to eat, some of them small local chains and some big national ones (PF Chang's, CPK, Elephant Bar, Pasta Pomodoro, Pizza My Heart, Teacake Bake Shop, Fuddrucker's, Buckhorn Grill, Coldstone, Asqew Grill, Zao Noodle Bar). All restaurants have outdoor patios, and some are on the second level by the movie theater for nice views. There is a fun plaza area with adirondack chairs, fire pits, and live music on the weekends. As far as malls go, it's compact and nice to be outside. You also have IKEA of course, and your local shopping (Trader Joe's, Starbucks, BevMo, etc) at Powell Street Plaza.

-Art Studios: there are still some artists' studios around, but not like there used to be. Try to get some info on those and especially don't miss the October Art Walk thing they do one weekend, where all the galleries are open on one night.

-Nightlife: one guy said it, it's pretty much Kitty's Bar (cool place with a great patio), and some of the restaurants being open late (like Rudy's), but other than that, it's not a nightlife area. Uptown Oakland is a short drive away, as is Berkeley, as is the City!

Other than that, remember that Emeryville may not be the most exciting city in the world, but it's really tiny (7500 people), so there's quite a lot for being so small! And that also means you border Oakland and Berkeley, and we are very close to all parts of the Bay Area (including Marin), so it's just a quick hop anywhere.

I really like it here!
What he(or she) said.

+1

Old 07-06-2010, 05:36 PM

205 posts, read 42,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Emeryville is great and the Movie Complex area is a nice place to spend a Friday night, if you don't get any thugs and wannabes acting like idiots during your visit.

One time I went to see a movie there and 4-5 guys came into the movie theater drunk as ****, and screaming profanity and screaming "510 b*tches! Oakland fo life!!!" Honestly it was horrible. For almost 2 hours these jokers were chatting and laughing loudly throughout the movie, and no one wanted to do anything because these wannabes looked like they might be packing guns.

Anyway, sometimes you have to deal with that and it's a pain.
How long did it take you to make up that BS story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland