U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Dublin, CA
3,814 posts, read 1,815,270 times
Reputation: 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Wow, rich white people supporting a white cop who killed a black kid. God Bless America.
Nice broad paintbrush there. I am a black man who supports him and I attended the rally. Just got home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2010, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,109 posts, read 4,457,575 times
Reputation: 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayy911 View Post
According to the news they picked Walnut Creek simply because of its central location.
It's a terrible shame that the city is now associated with such ignorance. Can we not make this an Oakland vs Walnut Creek debate?

Cities are inanimate objects...a few weirdos don't represent the majority. I hate to say it (and it's just my observation from living abroad in particular), that it's a weird American cultural thing to always want to pit people against one another...like it's always black and white (no pun intended) and always needs to be a competition.

I find the pro/against rallies on BOTH sides upsetting and disgusting. It seems a lot of people rally have trouble with thinking and feeling. It doesn't affect them, so it's okay to make a stink out of something--riot, protest, solely for the sake of it.

It is a serious lack of DEPTH that I see so often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 10:37 PM
 
171 posts, read 347,959 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
It's a terrible shame that the city is now associated with such ignorance. Can we not make this an Oakland vs Walnut Creek debate?

Cities are inanimate objects...a few weirdos don't represent the majority. I hate to say it (and it's just my observation from living abroad in particular), that it's a weird American cultural thing to always want to pit people against one another...like it's always black and white (no pun intended) and always needs to be a competition.

I find the pro/against rallies on BOTH sides upsetting and disgusting. It seems a lot of people rally have trouble with thinking and feeling. It doesn't affect them, so it's okay to make a stink out of something--riot, protest, solely for the sake of it.

It is a serious lack of DEPTH that I see so often.
Hey don't forget to bring Concord into this, I mean they're basically the same, now lets discuss Concord's DMV parking lot structure and compare it to how the Walnut Creek DMV's parking lot is structured. Oakland's is structured kinda funky, but it still holds water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
24,948 posts, read 31,860,011 times
Reputation: 10577
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayy911 View Post
Hey don't forget to bring Concord into this, I mean they're basically the same, now lets discuss Concord's DMV parking lot structure and compare it to how the Walnut Creek DMV's parking lot is structured. Oakland's is structured kinda funky, but it still holds water.
LOL...Oakland has 2 DMV offices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,109 posts, read 4,457,575 times
Reputation: 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LOL...Oakland has 2 DMV offices.
And we all know which one is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 10:48 AM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
12,425 posts, read 10,436,948 times
Reputation: 5971
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
It's a terrible shame that the city is now associated with such ignorance. Can we not make this an Oakland vs Walnut Creek debate?

Cities are inanimate objects...a few weirdos don't represent the majority. I hate to say it (and it's just my observation from living abroad in particular), that it's a weird American cultural thing to always want to pit people against one another...like it's always black and white (no pun intended) and always needs to be a competition.

I find the pro/against rallies on BOTH sides upsetting and disgusting. It seems a lot of people rally have trouble with thinking and feeling. It doesn't affect them, so it's okay to make a stink out of something--riot, protest, solely for the sake of it.

It is a serious lack of DEPTH that I see so often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Status: "bring back prop 8" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: San Leandro
4,506 posts, read 4,515,295 times
Reputation: 3185
Good posts and some not so good posts. Over all this thread should be closed as the OP who created it is no longer a member for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 06:31 PM
 
946 posts, read 1,217,945 times
Reputation: 565
oscar grant was not an oakland resident and mesherle was not an oakland police officer.i wish this had all gone down a few more bart stops away.then it would be el cerrito news.

the same about the rightwing nut job from yosemite heading to san francisco to kill some liberals.if he had just made it another 4 miles he would have been on the sf side of the bridge where he was heading anyway .

with 13,24,80,580,880,980 bart and ferrys oakland is convenient to most of the bay area but this is becoming absurd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 06:57 PM
 
13,813 posts, read 25,259,709 times
Reputation: 8015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
oscar grant was not an oakland resident and mesherle was not an oakland police officer.i wish this had all gone down a few more bart stops away.then it would be el cerrito news.

the same about the rightwing nut job from yosemite heading to san francisco to kill some liberals.if he had just made it another 4 miles he would have been on the sf side of the bridge where he was heading anyway .

with 13,24,80,580,880,980 bart and ferrys oakland is convenient to most of the bay area but this is becoming absurd
Exactly on point!!! Oakland bears the burden simply by being at the wrong place at the wrong time way to often...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 07:15 PM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
12,425 posts, read 10,436,948 times
Reputation: 5971
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
oscar grant was not an oakland resident and mesherle was not an oakland police officer.i wish this had all gone down a few more bart stops away.then it would be el cerrito news.

the same about the rightwing nut job from yosemite heading to san francisco to kill some liberals.if he had just made it another 4 miles he would have been on the sf side of the bridge where he was heading anyway .

with 13,24,80,580,880,980 bart and ferrys oakland is convenient to most of the bay area but this is becoming absurd
I agree completely and most of those freeways you mentioned just happen to have the majority of their lengths in Oakland when they are in the east bay. Two are entirely in Oakland and these freeways are how anyone gets from one place to another. Once again, Oakland gets slammed for being where it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top