U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 08:30 PM

7 posts, read 16,278 times

Advertisements

Hello all, it's a pleasure to be here. I've browsed here for a while now and finally decided to join. I've noticed that this place is very informative so I figured I would drop some questions here.

I currently live in Modesto and have lived here for over 20 years. My dad moved here when I was 13 in order to save money. I came from Sonoma County, more specifically Windsor and Santa Rosa, before that I lived in Napa.

Modesto has never been a great fit for me and for the last 12 years or so I've wondered about going back to my childhood home. I consider Sonoma and Napa Counties my home, my heart will always be there. Yes I have made several friends in Modesto and it would be hard to leave because of the familiarity of it but I have no doubt my home is elsewhere. I've never excelled here, my grades dropped dramatically once I got here and I don't seem to mesh as well with the conservative leaning Stanislsaus County. I'm liberal and open minded and somewhat artsy and my old home would be a better fit I think.

I'm very aware that the north bay is much more expensive to live than the central valley and I will readily admit to being in no position to afford such a move but I simply must know certain things. Yes I'm poor but I'm a decent person and I can add to the flare of the local culture.

I first moved to Napa as an infant, my mother lived there for 30 plus years, she lives in Sonoma now. It's beautiful. We moved to Windsor in 1982 and I attended school there until 7th grade in 1989, we then moved to Santa Rosa where I finished 7th grade then moved to Modesto.

I've noticed many times while browsing that many people post that Santa Rosa (In particular) is being infested with crime and gang activity. Is Santa Rosa and/or the surrounding areas no longer safe? Tell me about modern day Santa Rosa and surrounding areas, I want to know. How is it now? Is it still a good place to live? How's Windsor these days? Healdsburg? Sebastapool? Rohnert Park? Napa? Sonoma? Does art and culture still exist in these parts? How's the cuisine? Would an outsider like me be welcome?

I've read several negative things written so I'm curious. I live in Modesto so I'm used to a little bit of chaos but things around here are getting pretty bad crime wise. I'm just interested to know what the current state of things is. I've read a lot of hate directed at immigrants, I don't really like that, I don't like hate directed at anyone regardless of where they come from or their situation, is this the norm there now?

How feasible is it to want to be a student there? I hear grea things about Santa Rosa JC. I feel that I would do better academically if I left, there's something about this area.

So feel free to be honest. If you don't think I'd be a good fit then by all means tell me so, just give me a reason. I know I'm not ready to go now (unless I find a steal of a rental)

I really miss my old home and I want to know what it's like today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 03:08 PM

358 posts, read 943,201 times
All of the cities you mentioned have "nice" areas, "not so nice" areas, and (relatively) "bad" areas. So it really depends on what you are looking for in a new place to live.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:27 PM

472 posts, read 1,147,147 times
No offense to Santa Rosa folks who love it, but I think it's a dump. Napa and Sonoma range from mansions on vineyards to scummy areas with pawn shops. Even if you don't have kids, you can usually tell a whole lot about an area by looking at how the school districts are rated. Go to greatschools.com and start plugging in some potential zip codes. You can usually figure out how nice or not an area is by how well the public schools are rated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland