Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:12 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times

Advertisements

I would definitely look into the East Bay to have a better commute. A friend of mine lives in the Rockridge area of Oakland and has a 2 bedroom apartment for $1200 a month which is much cheaper than anything in San Francisco. Rockridge is a really nice and safe area. Also maybe look into Alameda, Piedmont, Albany and the El Cerrito area. Concord, Pleasant Hill and Walnut Creek might work too. $1200 for a 2 bedroom would be impossible in SF...heck, a crappy 1 bedroom would be more than that...but it's much more doable in the East Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:20 PM

6 posts, read 39,634 times
Thanks for suggestions everyone, you guys (and gals) are awesome! I think we found a place in Fremont that's close to the Bart line and that's not outrageously priced. The only problem is that it's a one bedroom, which means that we're going to be tremendously cramped, but this is expected.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:36 PM

4 posts, read 11,862 times
Default Vallejo is nice

Vallejo is a great option if you want to take the ferry. They have the baylink ferry that runs daily, you save on driving and relax to and from work. You can also live in American Canyon or Mare Island ( which is close to the ferry). Both areas are very nice with newer homes and shopping. They just opened a super walmart, so I'm sure you can find everything you need there....

Old 08-03-2010, 07:37 PM

263 posts, read 529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I would definitely look into the East Bay to have a better commute. A friend of mine lives in the Rockridge area of Oakland and has a 2 bedroom apartment for $1200 a month which is much cheaper than anything in San Francisco. Rockridge is a really nice and safe area. Also maybe look into Alameda, Piedmont, Albany and the El Cerrito area. Concord, Pleasant Hill and Walnut Creek might work too. $1200 for a 2 bedroom would be impossible in SF...heck, a crappy 1 bedroom would be more than that...but it's much more doable in the East Bay.
$1200 for a 2BR in Rockridge - really? Seems awfully cheap.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:18 AM

358 posts, read 1,037,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiraii View Post
Thanks for suggestions everyone, you guys (and gals) are awesome! I think we found a place in Fremont that's close to the Bart line and that's not outrageously priced. The only problem is that it's a one bedroom, which means that we're going to be tremendously cramped, but this is expected.
I would also check out Castro Valley. There is a BART station there and it might be cheaper than Fremont.

If want want get even closer with BART access, look into El Cerrito. I'm not sure what types of places are available (i.e. apartments or SFHs), but its a decent city, has lots of public transportation options, and is much closer to SF than Fremont.

If you go even further east, you will likely find some decent rental options in Concord, Pleasant Hill, or Walnut Creek.

Of course, each of those cities I listed has a very different vibe, so you'll still have to look into what type of city will suit your preferences.

Welcome to the Bay Area!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampunjani View Post
Vallejo is a great option if you want to take the ferry. They have the baylink ferry that runs daily, you save on driving and relax to and from work. You can also live in American Canyon or Mare Island ( which is close to the ferry). Both areas are very nice with newer homes and shopping. They just opened a super walmart, so I'm sure you can find everything you need there....
Umm no.

Vallejo is not a great place to live. American Canyon is manageable due to the smaller population (and if you don't mind living amongst a lot of illegals). Mare Island is only a few steps above a toxic waste dump being a former Naval Base.

None of those places would be great places to live.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:58 PM

4 posts, read 9,980 times
Default vacaville

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiraii View Post
Here's the situation...

I was recently offered a job in SF and have been struggling to find a place where the commute won't be horrible, crime isn't outrageous, decent schools, etc...

Since I have a wife and 5 year old daughter, I have been trying to find more family focused areas. With that being said, I think Vacaville would be fit the bill. But then started looking at commute options, and was shocked. So I wanted to ask you fine folks a few questions:

1. If I did move to Vacaville, are there other commute options other then the STA and Bart, carpooling or just driving myself?

2. The job that was offered to me is a government job with a starting salary of $46k/year. I know this would be considered poverty level for the bay area, so moving into the city is not an option. Do you think it is worth the hassle for the job?

3. What's the deal with the casual carpool? Is it something that you can rely upon to get you to work on a regular basis?

4. Realistically, what would be the commute time from Vacaville to the city?
hi,
the commute from vacaville to sf can be brutal. like 2 hours, each way, and you never know what traffic snafus you can hit.
vacaville is a great town with lots to offer. maybe you could find a job there?
think not only of the commute time, but the expense. gas and bridge tolls to sf are not cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland