U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
24,143 posts, read 24,885,208 times
Reputation: 10642
Default Oakland votes to allow pot farms...

Oakland Votes To Permit Large Pot Farms - cbs5.com (http://cbs5.com/politics/oakland.pot.farms.2.1816183.html - broken link)

Looks like Oakland is living up to their new nickname, Oaksterdam... I guess the only issue here is putting "small farmers" out of business, but at least they'll have more control (over safety, security, jobs, quality, etc) with city-run cultivation. Do you think this will offer the financial gain they're promising, and will it help or hurt Oakland in general? It'll be interesting to see how things play out, especially with November's statewide vote!
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
24,143 posts, read 24,885,208 times
Reputation: 10642
P.S. Please stick to discussing this specific issue/measure, and don't turn the thread into another "pot is harmless" vs "pot is for losers" debate. I think we've already covered that to death, LOL.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA / San Rafael, CA
2,352 posts, read 2,600,590 times
Reputation: 509
I think the biggest hit will be to Oakland's reputation. As a city that openly embraces recreational drug use, families will think twice before relocating to a city that already has a poor public schooling system, the highest crime rate in the state, and overpriced real estate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
23,550 posts, read 27,957,907 times
Reputation: 9983
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oakland Votes To Permit Large Pot Farms - cbs5.com (http://cbs5.com/politics/oakland.pot.farms.2.1816183.html - broken link)

Looks like Oakland is living up to their new nickname, Oaksterdam... I guess the only issue here is putting "small farmers" out of business, but at least they'll have more control (over safety, security, jobs, quality, etc) with city-run cultivation. Do you think this will offer the financial gain they're promising, and will it help or hurt Oakland in general? It'll be interesting to see how things play out, especially with November's statewide vote!
I think this is a step in the right direction.

Oakland has definitely distinguished itself as the leader in the movement to legalize marijuana. I like the angle that the pro-legalization folks are using.

Focusing on the potential business growth and tax revenue is just brilliant.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:13 AM
 
240 posts, read 173,086 times
Reputation: 76
Default Your big brother might have something to say about that.

If the Nov. ballot is passed I believe it will be a succesful venture, if big brother allows it. Otherwise they will have to put the home grows out of bussiness in order to maitain the volume sales that will be required to maintain a large org.. On the other hand the quality of the product will be sacrificed for grow ability and production as the agribussiness has already done to our fresh food supply. The home producer will have to concentrate on supplying the connoisseur and the medical market if it does pass in order to compete with a big operation like they are describing in the article.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
23,550 posts, read 27,957,907 times
Reputation: 9983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
If the Nov. ballot is passed I believe it will be a succesful venture, if big brother allows it. Otherwise they will have to put the home grows out of bussiness in order to maitain the volume sales that will be required to maintain a large org.. On the other hand the quality of the product will be sacrificed for grow ability and production as the agribussiness has already done to our fresh food supply. The home producer will have to concentrate on supplying the connoisseur and the medical market if it does pass in order to compete with a big operation like they are describing in the article.
Thanks for your perspective.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Status: "Price is what you pay, value is what you get." (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Mountain Ranch, CA The heart of Calaveras County
5,687 posts, read 9,729,229 times
Reputation: 4193
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
[url=http://cbs5.com/politics/oakland.pot.farms.2.1816183.html] I guess the only issue here is putting "small farmers" out of business
I can just see ADM, Cargill and Monsanto elbowing each other out of the way to put the little guys out of business.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-21-2010, 03:32 PM
 
Location: San Leandro
4,187 posts, read 3,822,221 times
Reputation: 2798
I'm going to laugh real hard and hardy when some base head drives a beat up mazda pick up truck through the wall so he and the "home boys" can score the grow of their lives.

That or a bunch of fools are going to come in with choppers (ak 47's) and their going to stick every body the **** up.

Either way its typical of oakland. That city's motto should be "When you cant fight crime embrace it and legalize it"
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA / San Rafael, CA
2,352 posts, read 2,600,590 times
Reputation: 509
Or if you're OPD, just ignore that it even happens and ask residents to go an "online form" to fight crime.

Oakland must honestly be a long running gag joke. I'm waiting for Mayor Dellums to have a press conference where he announces the entire city is the most elaborate joke in the world. Surprise! That's the only way anything Oakland has done in the past 30 years could ever be looked upon with any respect.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
23,550 posts, read 27,957,907 times
Reputation: 9983
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I can just see ADM, Cargill and Monsanto elbowing each other out of the way to put the little guys out of business.
Very good point. Something to consider.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top