U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2010, 01:00 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
8,251 posts, read 6,619,412 times
Reputation: 8602

Advertisements

I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,919 posts, read 6,886,949 times
Reputation: 2942
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I disagree, i highly doubt those two people in the picture would have stuck up black and brown people in hip hop gear that looked like thugs.

It was a man and a woman, and they clearly looked for a weak target. The guy was going to his car with an asian woman, the thugs probably took them for yuppies and stuck them up.

Its so sad because this guy was in the bay applying for work at google, a respectable silicon valley company, and he got robbed and killed in Oakland. This is exactly why I warn outsiders not framiliar with the dangerous ghetto of oakland to avoid it, because when things like this happen its so sad. All this could have been avoided if he just stayed out of oakland.

I think a lot of people are trying to tip toe around the idea ( in typical bay area PC fashion) that these thugs in the bay precieve asians as being weak and submissive and as such, target them for crimes such as strong arm robberies.

In a completely unrelated note, this happens to be the demographic of people who get killed the most in the US. Just saying.


Also, the racial tension issue is a lot more complex than you people are making it. Asians basically took over all the businesses in black neighborhoods after the black middle and upper class fled for white suburbia back in the 60's. The money that went into the black business before integration supported the entire black community. After integration... there's a reason why there's resentment. I'm not using this to justify the murder of this google hopeful or of the west oakland incident a month ago either. However, there's hostility on both sides... anybody remember this?


Latasha Harlins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


People are portraying a one sided argument here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 10:44 PM
 
Location: San Leandro
4,579 posts, read 4,735,929 times
Reputation: 3248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
In a completely unrelated note, this happens to be the demographic of people who get killed the most in the US. Just saying.


Also, the racial tension issue is a lot more complex than you people are making it. Asians basically took over all the businesses in black neighborhoods after the black middle and upper class fled for white suburbia back in the 60's. The money that went into the black business before integration supported the entire black community. After integration... there's a reason why there's resentment. I'm not using this to justify the murder of this google hopeful or of the west oakland incident a month ago either. However, there's hostility on both sides... anybody remember this?


Latasha Harlins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


People are portraying a one sided argument here.
You are trying to compare racial tensions of la to the bay, which is a poor context. All the people who own corner stores in the bay are arab not korean, much less tension.

Furthermore racial tension is not an excuse to rob and kill people

-a black male
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 10:45 PM
 
Location: San Leandro
4,579 posts, read 4,735,929 times
Reputation: 3248
Police catch BAS (Bay Area Scum)


2 charged with murder in Hayward men's deaths
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 12:49 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,838 posts, read 7,020,299 times
Reputation: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Photos released in Google job hopeful's killing

These animals need to be put down like the dogs that they are.

I hope they catch these scum like the other monsters who killed that other asian father in Oakland.

Black on asian crime is not cool and needs to be addressed in the bay area. It is clear this is becoming a problem, as thugs from oakland see the asians as 'weak'.

Well the only thing week about this story is the fact that this guy was a father of three and a productive individual, while these animals which society could cleary do with out probably spent that 17 dollars on a dub of purple weed.

I hate the east bay.
isnt the bay area filled with Asian gangs? how about you complain to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,838 posts, read 7,020,299 times
Reputation: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Actually there is a problem with Black on Asian Crimes. Part of it stems from the stores being run by usually Asian/Indian folks and possibly them being mistrustful of Black youths. So then crime occurs. I have heard it from both the Asian friends and the Black friends. I personally think ALL crime is a hate crime. You hate that I have money in my wallet so you target me to steal it. That is HATRED, it's all hate.
excellent post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 12:20 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,919 posts, read 6,886,949 times
Reputation: 2942
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
You are trying to compare racial tensions of la to the bay, which is a poor context. All the people who own corner stores in the bay are arab not korean, much less tension.

Furthermore racial tension is not an excuse to rob and kill people

-a black male

Never said it was... thus why I said that I'm not using the argument to justify the murders.


And true, the bay is not LA. However, the nature of Oakland being an extremely diverse and extremely integrated city means racial tensions are amplified anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 03:39 AM
 
Location: San Leandro
4,579 posts, read 4,735,929 times
Reputation: 3248
SCUMLY DISTRICT ATTORNEY KAMILA HARRIS LETS MUNI TERROIST GANGSTER OF THE HOOK:

Teen pleads guilty in Muni assault on actor

Another ghetto incident in Pittsburg or should I say armpitt

Parolee sought in Pittsburg fatal shooting


What a surprise an upstanding member of society a victim of bay area thuggary

S.F. stab victim identified as marketing exec
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 01:10 PM
rah
 
Location: San Francisco
3,102 posts, read 5,235,980 times
Reputation: 2187
Bay Area cities of 10,000 or more people by robbery rate per 100,000 residents in 2008 (stats are from the FBI/DOJ):

Oakland - 827.5
San Francisco - 514.7
Richmond - 514.4
Berkeley - 490.3
San Leandro - 459.5
San Pablo - 455.5
El Cerrito - 443.1
Vallejo - 377.2
Hayward - 366.7
East Palo Alto - 316.3
Pinole - 289.7
Union City - 241.4
Fairfield - 226.8
Pittsburg - 205.6
Santa Cruz - 202.7
Suisun City - 191.9
Albany - 188.6
Concord - 179.0
Gilroy - 171.5
Newark - 163.6
Watsonville - 161.3
Pleasant Hill - 153.1
Alameda - 152.9
Daly City - 142.2
San Rafael - 140.3
San Mateo - 128.8
Vacaville - 126.6
Hercules - 119.0
Fremont - 115.4
Dixon - 112.9
San Bruno - 110.0
American Canyon - 109.7
Menlo Park - 103.8
Redwood City - 102.2
South San Francisco - 98.3
Milpitas - 98.1
Santa Rosa - 96.2
Martinez - 91.5
Millbrae - 91.1
Burlingame - 91.0
Walnut Creek - 90.3
Brentwood - 89.1
Campbell - 85.0
Oakley - 80.6
Hollister - 80.2
Mountain View - 78.1
Sant Clara - 75.0
Palo Alto - 72.2
Dublin - 67.4
Napa - 61.8
Livermore - 61.1
Morgan Hill - 55.2
Pacifica - 53.8
Petaluma - 53.3
Benicia - 53.3
Windsor - 50.8
Sunnyvale - 49.6
Lafayette - 48.3
Rohnert Park - 47.0
Healdsburg - 45.8
Novato - 41.8
Piedmont - 38.4
Scotts Valley - 35.9
Cupertino - 35.6
Pleasanton - 32.9
Half Moon Bay - 32.3
Los Gatos - 30.8
San Ramon - 30.3
Los Altos - 28.6
Belmont - 28.5
Clayton - 26.7
Orinda - 21.8
San Carlos - 18.6
San Anselmo - 16.8
Mill Valley - 15.1
Danville - 12.2
Foster City - 10.4
Hillsborough - 9.3
Saratoga - 6.6
Moraga - 5.9

And here are robbery stats for unincorporated areas, from County Sheriff's departments (i'm guessing Solano and San Benito counties have no Sheriff's Depts. as they aren't listed on the FBI/DOJ websites...SF obviously isn't counted as SF is a consolidated city-county, and the SF sheriffs don't do any actual policing of the city for the most part):

Alameda County - 228.7
Contra Costa County - 128.6
San Mateo County - 67.5
Santa Clara County - 53.0
Santa Cruz County - 49.2
Marin County - 41.2
Sonoma County - 33.5
Napa County - 14.8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,291 posts, read 33,026,650 times
Reputation: 10723
^Thanks for the data rah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top