Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 18,112 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm considering taking a job in Mountain View. I currently live in San Rafael and absolutely love it. I want to stay as close to SF as possible.

Are there any towns between SF and MV that have a nice old town feel like Central San Rafael?

My wife and I have a 9 month old and want someplace safe, nice weather, good schools, and close (walking) proximity to shops and restaurants.

What we dont want is miles of cookie cutter homes, condos, or town homes, and we dont want fog!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,181 times
Anywhere from Burlingame on down would be a great spot. Limiting factors, are of course how much you want to spend.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 18,112 times
Hi, thanks for the suggestion! We'd be renting so home prices are not something we are concerned with....it just needs to be kind of hip and happening. Are there any "old towns" on the peninsula between SF and MV?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 AM

297 posts, read 766,651 times
Default yes, lots

I'm currently living on the peninsula and have lived in San Rafael, so if I understand you correctly, you're looking for a town with an old downtown area that's walkable with shops, bars, restaurants. There are many towns along the peninsula that offer that. South San Francisco has one, but its pretty run down, same for San Bruno. Millbrae has a great little downtown, and being that it has a bart station and a cal train station, its a very convenient location to live in. Other towns further down that have nice downtowns are Burlingame, San Mateo, Redwood City, San Carlos, Palo Alto, Menlo Park and finally Mountain View itself has a great downtown area on Castro St. Some of these towns have less desirable areas (though not really dangerous), so make sure to scope out the nieghborhoods before moving.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:28 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadpyrat View Post
Hi, thanks for the suggestion! We'd be renting so home prices are not something we are concerned with....it just needs to be kind of hip and happening. Are there any "old towns" on the peninsula between SF and MV?
Hah, you obviously haven't checked out rental prices on the Peninsula yet!

Anyways, to answer your question, Palo Alto, Redwood City, Mountain View, Menlo Park all have cute and more-or-less 'happening' downtowns. Not sure how hip they are, but definitely walkable and active communities.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,252,286 times
Stay out of most areas of Oakland, definitely stay out of Richmond even though it's slightly North of S.F. Don't be tricked by the cheap rent in these areas, they are vile and full of crime.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:59 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,457 times
I was unaware Oakland and Richmond were in between SF and Mountain View.

I guess it's easy to make that mistake when you live in the OC.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:09 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,252,286 times
Quote:
I was unaware Oakland
You simply are uneducated on the main commuting freeways in the area.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
You simply are uneducated on the main commuting freeways in the area.
A rather circuitous commute though. Do you suppose anyone actually does it that way? Perhaps a bridge freak?

Old 07-30-2010, 12:55 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
Just based on the title of the thread with none of the subsequent qualifiers, I'd say Woodside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland