Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 18,466 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are visiting San Fran really soon and right now its 95 degrees with 80% humidity. We know they humidity in San Fran is different but we are concerned that we are packing to lite, ie; shorts and t-shirts. Other than a rain jacket should we ditch the shorts and pack jeans?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 06:40 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,377 times
I would bring only 1 pair of shorts- you might not even wear that one but it's good to have it just in case. Bring lots of jeans, light cotton shirts that are short sleeve and long sleeve and things you can layer with. And definitly at least 1 thick jacket (like North Face) and 1 light jacket. And also things to wear according to activities you will do. i.e. Fancier dress if you plan to eat at a fancy restaurant.

If you want to look more like the locals, wear clothes like from the Gap, J Crew, Dockers, and North Face.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:02 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWNKILLER View Post
My wife and I are visiting San Fran really soon and right now its 95 degrees with 80% humidity. We know they humidity in San Fran is different but we are concerned that we are packing to lite, ie; shorts and t-shirts. Other than a rain jacket should we ditch the shorts and pack jeans?

Thank you.
You can pack light, a fleece should suffice as an outer shell, no need for rain gear and shorts are fine but suggest just 1 pair. Pack jeans,slacks, long sleeve dress shirts, t-shirts ect. San Francisco can be brisk, but its by no means cold in the traditional sense, come and enjoy. Good luck

Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
It does not rain here at all in summer. Maybe a few drops here and there but nothing approaching even a sprinkle.

Temperature-wise, lately it's been about 50 degrees early in the morning and then if the sun comes out warms up to maybe 60 or 65. For all we know the weather will change dramatically in the next few days (the weather is unpredictable so forecasts can be useless) but it will probably stay in the mid-60's at the warmest. If it warms up at all it will probably only get into the low 70's.

I would make sure you have about three layers: a t-shirt, then a light sweatshirt or sweater, then a light jacket on top. That way as it warms up or cools down you can put layers on and off accordingly. It is always very windy in SF so even if it's sunny out it can still be chilly. You might even want to bring a light scarf and a hat because sometimes it can feel really cold, especially in the morning and in the evening, and the wind just makes it worse. Several days in the last week it has gotten so cold that my 3 layers were not enough and I had to wear a hat and a scarf.

I would not bring shorts, nobody here wears them unless it's really warm out.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:42 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,099 times
It can be quite chilly here. Mark Twain famously noted that the coldest winter he ever saw was the summer he spent in San Francisco. When the fog is in and the wind kicks up, it can cut through your clothes and make you quite cold. I wouldn't pack shorts.

I doubt you'll see 95 degrees. Only in the most extreme heat waves does it get like that in SF - and this has been a very mild summer. And there is virtually no humidity, especially not compared to the Midwest. I would expect temps to be 55-72. If you plan to hit wine country or Marin, then you can pack shorts as it can easily be 20-30 degrees warmer in any of the inland areas that surround SF. Even crossing the GG bridge into Sausalito/Marin is usually 15 degrees warmer than SF proper.

The key is to bring multiple light layers that you can adjust. And the style is very causal - only a small handful of upscale restaurant have anything resembling a dress code. Pack good walking shoes, and don't be afraid to wear them into a restaurant, no one will even blink.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:58 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Dress the way you would for a new england fall. SF's summer is the cruelest joke of the whole bay area.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:06 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
also bring some good walking shoes, sunglasses, small camera, you dont want to bring any big heavy camera equipment, gets tiring carrying that around, travel light.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:22 AM

4 posts, read 18,466 times
Thanks for all the great replies. Sounds like we need to pack for a KC Winter complete with a polar pluge into the ocean. It will be a nice change from the 98 degree (midwest) humid weather

We'll post some pics of our trip.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:29 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWNKILLER View Post
Thanks for all the great replies. Sounds like we need to pack for a KC Winter complete with a polar pluge into the ocean. It will be a nice change from the 98 degree (midwest) humid weather

We'll post some pics of our trip.
leave the heavy winter coats at home, if you need something extra you can always pick up a low priced light coat or pull over at Fisherman's Warf in one of the shops.

if you plan on going on any bay cruises or will be out in the bay on a boat ride it does get windy and chilly out there, much cooler than on the shore.

Last edited by mr bolo; 07-30-2010 at 08:43 AM..

Old 07-30-2010, 09:17 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
San Francisco is cold. I lived in the San Jose area my whole life, then moved to the SF area for 2 years. I was amazed; it felt like a blustery winter day all the time. If you were indoors, it was fantastic. If you were trying to walk to the bus, it was miserable. I'll never understand how SF is considered a walking city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland