Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:25 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
A's need to move to Austin, raiders to LA, warriors need to move to the proposed A's site in San Jose.

Problem solved game over.
Your posts are getting too absurd to believe now.

1. The Warriors sell out nearly every game for a team that's made the playoffs once in 16 years. Why do they need to move? How would that better the Warriors?

2. The Raiders tried and failed in L.A. Al Davis would never move back. LA doesn't have a stadium suitable for NFL football and has no plans to coordinate a new one. Not to mention, Al Davis wants a new stadium in Dublin.

3. The A's moving somewhere is the only semi-debatable item your post brought up. Read my post above yours. Did SF need to be moved? In my opinion, the A's can have a successful franchise simply by doing the exact same thing that the Giants did. You can agree to disagree with that if you'd like, but your credibility wanes based on your other two assertions. Sounds like you just think that any team that Oakland has should be moved.

You know who should be moved? The Sacramento Kings. And they're a lot closer to being moved than any of the other aforementioned franchises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 08:46 AM

425 posts, read 958,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Do you like the Warriors too? If I had to rank my Bay Area teams, Warriors would probably come first with the A's and Raiders to follow.

Maybe you should move out here!

--

Back to your OP, though, the truth is that most people see Oakland's plans to revitalize Jack London Square or via Uptown as the A's most realistic option. The truth is also that this is really far away. My guess is that in the next 2-3 years the A's will make another consistent playoff run and will remind the powers that be why keeping them in Oakland is important and will help further the cause to keep them here.

Just my guess.
I have not followed the NBA in years, just what I catch on Sportscenter...although I like the retro Warriors logo, since all my buddys want to use the Miami Heat in NBA2k11, maybe I'll use the Warriors...although Lakers might be the better matchup! lol

I'm actually thinking to moving to California, and have been debating between San Diego, L.A. & SF Bay Area. I am use to not needing a car, so I think that drops SD to #3.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 AM

Austin Athletics has a nice ring to it. Although I think if they can get a new stadium in a similar area to where the Giants are, I think the team will do just fine staying in the Bay Area. after all they do have the more recent World Series victory...way back in 1988 during the famous Earthquake Series, and the Moneyball movie in production with Brad Pitt rumored to be playing Billy Beane.

Oddly enough I think me being from NY, and moving to Cali would make me better suited to being a Giants or Dodgers fan depending on where I go. My dad was a HUGE Brooklyn Dodgers fan, and went to a ton of games when they were here...the name Bobby Thompson still makes him rant for hours...LOL

Old 08-01-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Your posts are getting too absurd to believe now.

2. The Raiders tried and failed in L.A. Al Davis would never move back. LA doesn't have a stadium suitable for NFL football and has no plans to coordinate a new one. Not to mention, Al Davis wants a new stadium in Dublin.

You know who should be moved? The Sacramento Kings. And they're a lot closer to being moved than any of the other aforementioned franchises.
Wasn't there a developer who is building a stadium in L.A. who was trying to lure teams like the Buffalo Bills & Jacksonville Jaguars to L.A.? It was a stadium that they actually wanted to build into the landscape if I remember correctly.

Maybe the Kings can move to L.A. and be the third team to play @ The Staples Center and the second Kings to play there...you could have the Los Angeles Basketball Kings & the Los Angeles Hockey Kings, much how they would mention the New York Baseball Giants and the New York Football Giants back in the prior to the Giants moving to SF & The football Giants moving to NJ...lol

Old 08-01-2010, 11:49 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times
San Jose likely to pull back on ballpark vote (http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/matierandross/ - broken link)

After being waved off by Major League Baseball, San Jose officials are expected to announce today that they're pulling plans for a citywide ballpark vote in November, City Hall sources say.
Word of the pullback comes just days after Mayor Chuck Reed's surprise announcement that the City Council would be ready at its meeting next Tuesday to place a ballpark measure on the upcoming ballot - with or without the blessing of Major League Baseball - in hopes of eventually bringing the Oakland A's to town.
Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig slammed the plan as "premature," saying the league had a committee that was studying the A's options for a new stadium.

Read more: San Jose likely to pull back on ballpark vote (http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/matierandross/#ixzz0vNTzHlJO - broken link)

Old 08-01-2010, 12:09 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
Austin Athletics has a nice ring to it. Although I think if they can get a new stadium in a similar area to where the Giants are, I think the team will do just fine staying in the Bay Area. after all they do have the more recent World Series victory...way back in 1988 during the famous Earthquake Series, and the Moneyball movie in production with Brad Pitt rumored to be playing Billy Beane.

Oddly enough I think me being from NY, and moving to Cali would make me better suited to being a Giants or Dodgers fan depending on where I go. My dad was a HUGE Brooklyn Dodgers fan, and went to a ton of games when they were here...the name Bobby Thompson still makes him rant for hours...LOL
Bobby Thompson's shot heard around the world!

A's just dont have the fans. They hardly sell out.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:12 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
San Jose likely to pull back on ballpark vote (http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/matierandross/ - broken link)

After being waved off by Major League Baseball, San Jose officials are expected to announce today that they're pulling plans for a citywide ballpark vote in November, City Hall sources say.
Word of the pullback comes just days after Mayor Chuck Reed's surprise announcement that the City Council would be ready at its meeting next Tuesday to place a ballpark measure on the upcoming ballot - with or without the blessing of Major League Baseball - in hopes of eventually bringing the Oakland A's to town.
Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig slammed the plan as "premature," saying the league had a committee that was studying the A's options for a new stadium.

Read more: San Jose likely to pull back on ballpark vote (http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/matierandross/#ixzz0vNTzHlJO - broken link)
What are the chances A's will move to SJ?

San Jose is mostly Giants fans.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:14 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Bobby Thompson's shot heard around the world!

A's just dont have the fans. They hardly sell out.
Since you seem to have missed this earlier post on the previous page, here ya go:

------------------------------------

Actually, the A's have better attendance right now than the Giants did in the waning days of their play at Candlestick Park. In the final decade of baseball played at Candlestick Park, the Giants averaged 2,465 fewer fans per game than have the Oakland A's in their last decade at the Coliseum.

San Francisco Giants in the final decade at their dump of a stadium (average attendance per game):
1991 - 21,450
1992 - 19,272
1993 - 32,177
1994 - 21,045
1995 - 15,327
1996 - 17,456
1997 - 20,875
1998 - 23,770
1999 - 25,659

Average Attendance in the final decade: 21,892

Oakland Athletics in the past decade at their dump of a stadium (average attendance per game):
2001 - 26,339
2002 - 26,788
2003 - 27,365
2004 - 27,179
2005 - 26,040
2006 - 24,402
2007 - 23,726
2008 - 19,986
2009 - 17,392

Average Attendance in the last decade: 24,357

They've got the fans, they just don't have the stadium or the location necessary to draw consistent large crowds.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:26 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
I could see the owners out-voting the Giants' veto if there were no other options, but the simple fact is that there are a half-dozen cities that would love a major league team, and many with a much better chance than San Jose of getting a stadium built. Sacramento, Portland, Austin, San Antonio, Charlotte, and Indianapolis have all expressed repeated interest in securing an MLB franchise, and at least a few of those cities already have plans in the pipeline. You would need all of those to fall through before MLB would try and cannibalize itself by hurting one of the solid profitmakers in the sport - and believe me, an A's stadium in San Jose would affect SF's bottom line.
Please show us these plans from all those cities. SJ has a site, and EIR and willing ownership.

And the bottom line of 29 owners is of greater importance than that of the Giants alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
A's need to move to Austin, raiders to LA, warriors need to move to the proposed A's site in San Jose.
Of those teams, only the A's should even consider moving. The Raiders just need to stop sucking and the Warriors draw fine even when they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What are the chances A's will move to SJ?

San Jose is mostly Giants fans.
Just because you and your circle of friends were Giants fans?

Old 08-01-2010, 12:31 PM

473 posts, read 1,327,939 times
You clearly don't understand how baseball works. So far the only thing San Jose has done is annoy the ownership and irritate the commissioner. Read up on it and get back to us. There will never be any A's in San Jose. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland