Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdenca View Post
Sonnarat is correct - ck that link - it's really good. Remember this is San Francisco so you better cross your t's and dot your i's. I'd also send them a certified letter with the 4 day notice, return receipt requested, so you have a record of it. Just putting it on their car won't cut it as they can claim it was never received. Good luck! (Can you maybe take a bottle of wine over first and try to reason with them? I have a bad neighbor and the stress of living next door to one really gets to you after a while - so if you can come to a compromise life will be better!)
The link does state that notice only needs to be posted on the vehicle, but 96 hours are required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 AM

386 posts, read 797,208 times
There is nothing worse than having bad blood with someone you live next door too. It can escalate and turn really ugly. I would not do anything extreme like towing the car, especially if you know who it belongs too. I do recommend building a fence and gate and posting No Parking / Tow Away signs on the gate.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:00 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
I will attest to having bad neighbors and how stressful it is. I would so welcome the Clampets as next door neighbors right about now.

But you don't have to lie down for them either. Do as the above posters have stated: Call to have their vehicles ticketed. Post the property line. You don't have to expend great sums of money to install a fence. You have one thing going for you - notice that the previous owner "won the land" in a court case. Get a copy of that decision and keep it handy to show that the neighbors are specifically ignoring that ruling.

You MUST, repeat MUST, continue to enforce that it is your property. What they are doing is using the property as their own and if you do not continue to claim it, they can "win it back". They are using some of the rules of adverse possession. Do NOT let it sit. Post the land, report for tickets. Let them know it's your property and you will not sit by and allow them free use of it.

Alternately, submit them a bill for parking and for the damage to your grass, shrubs, etc.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:53 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Good fences make good neighbors.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:33 PM

75 posts, read 302,254 times
Call the police again and ask them what can be done. I mean, what comes after the warning ?
If you were outside this liberal commie infested city and someplace where "men are men" you'd take a shotgun and blow out the tires and call a tow company to tow an "inoperable vehicle" off your property. Yeah, let's see your lovely neighbors try this in Texas. Good luck. (PS. There was a Dateline NBC episode with a similar type of situation and the one crazy neighbor actually shot and killed the guy. You probably can watch the episode on the Dateline website...)

Old 08-23-2010, 10:08 PM

427 posts, read 1,223,648 times
How is someone parking on the OP's property in the first place. Are you allowed to park in the grass between the sidewalk and the street in SF or in your front yard?? Forgive my ignorance on this particular subject but i would really like to understand what the issue is here and learn something for i have never heard of something like this happening before. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland