U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-20-2010, 02:41 PM

5 posts, read 9,511 times
Default San Francisco to Los Angeles

Hi all

Sorry for my english I’m French.

We would like to visit San Francisco and Los Angeles with my wife and my little baby (She will have 18 months) I would need your advice

For San Francisco i saw a lot of post about all things we have to see
But if you have some ideas to propose there are all welcome

We will stay in San Francisco for 5 Days and we will rent a car to go to Los Angeles
What is the best area for the hotel in san Francisco ?

I need your help about the road from San Francisco to Los Angeles

We will take the road n1
-Where do we have to stop? What do we have to visit? Should we plan 2 or 3 days?

My first idea was to visit Santa Cruz, Monterey and sleep around marina or Monterey or Carmel the first day
we would like to have an hotel on the beach
Then We will move to Santa Barbara the second day to visit/sleep around and we will go to Los Angeles for 5 days
I have not yet start to search what there is to see/ do in Los Angeles

Thanks a lot for your help
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 03:17 PM

527 posts, read 807,149 times
Bienvenue! It looks like you have a fun trip planned.

For hotel recommendations, you may want to try Yelp, a website where people review various businesses - www.yelp.com. You can also use Google to find hotels on a San Francisco map, and they will pop up in the map with the reviews they've received.

I've stayed at the Marriott in Embarcadero, and the one on 4th & Mission, and both were very central, and predictable (Marriotts are pretty much the same wherever you go). I've also stayed at the Inn and Union Square, which is also a central location.

Regarding your drive, I think you already have the good spots scoped out, staying in Monterey then Santa Barbara before heading to LA sounds great, and the 1 is a very scenic road, especially between Santa Barbara and Ventura.

In Santa Barbara, I'd recommend:

- The Fez Parker DoubleTree, across from the beach in downtown, a more bustling area
- The Four Seasons, Montecito, on a cliff over the water in a secluded, upper-crust town adjacent to Santa Barbara
- The Bacara Resort, in Goleta (north of Santa Barbara), you stay in bungalows and it has two infinity pools overlooking the beach in a self-contained property separate from the town.

On your way to Santa Barbara, take a detour to Solvang which is off 246 (branches off from 1, then loops back to Santa Barbara at 101). It's a Danish-style town and the drive through the Santa Ynez Mountains/Lake Cachuma is really beautiful.

I think you only need to stay in Monterey and Santa Barbara for one night each. SF > Monterey is about an hour, Monterey > Santa Barbara is about 5 hours, and Santa Barbara > L.A. is about 3 hours (via Route 1, leisurely pace).

Old 08-20-2010, 05:05 PM

13,959 posts, read 11,358,177 times
I suggest you also visit the Hearst Castle on your way from SF to L.A.
Hearst Castle - California State Park

Old 08-21-2010, 09:38 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,596,664 times
Best stops on Hwy 1:

-Santa Cruz
-Capitola
-Monterery (I would just make the Santa Cruz to Monterey trip a 2-day trip to really enjoy the coast)
-Carmel
-Ano Nuevo State Park (find out if it's elephant seal mating season)
-Big Sur (stop by Nepenthe for a drink or lunch!)
-Hearst Castle
-Cambria
-Morro Bay
-Avila Beach/Shell Beach/Pismo Beach
-Santa Barbara (spend the whole day and the night there)
-Malibu (not the best town, but drive into Malibu Canyon -- beautiful!!)
-then you're in LA!

Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 PM

157 posts, read 286,436 times
I agree with all the above suggestions and for an interesting souvenir, Buellton, CA has an Ostrich Farm where they sell ostrich eggs. You can even pet them for kids. Yes I know it's weird, but it's along the drive to LA and it'll make the trip even more interesting if that floats anyone's boats.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 AM

Thanks guys for your reply

@ lmk1707
Yes it should be a good trip it will be the first one with my baby i hope it won't be too much for her
Thanks for the website I will check it

For the hotel I don't know yet I just want a clean and quiete one but not too expensive the Inn looks good.

@ Chava61
I didn't know there was a Castle I will go to visit it

@ tstieber
Tks exactly what I was looking for all good stops to do

@Frostythe2nd
it will be the good time to test omelette with ostrich eggs

Do you now if we can rent an old mustang to go to LA like a shelby GT ? if it's not too expensive

I think it will stay a dream i could never put 3 luggage on the trunk isn't it

thanks for your help.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:17 AM

6 posts, read 11,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herta View Post

Do you now if we can rent an old mustang to go to LA like a shelby GT ? if it's not too expensive

I think it will stay a dream i could never put 3 luggage on the trunk isn't it
There are places that rent classic cars, but they are very expensive and typically don't rent one-way, meaning you'd have to return it to the same place you rented it from.

You could rent a new Mustang convertible -- there are plenty of those for rent -- but luggage space would definitely be an issue! Plus, nothing says "tourist" like driving a convertible in San Francisco!

Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 PM

470 posts, read 391,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
Bienvenue! It looks like you have a fun trip planned.

For hotel recommendations, you may want to try Yelp, a website where people review various businesses - www.yelp.com. You can also use Google to find hotels on a San Francisco map, and they will pop up in the map with the reviews they've received.

I've stayed at the Marriott in Embarcadero, and the one on 4th & Mission, and both were very central, and predictable (Marriotts are pretty much the same wherever you go). I've also stayed at the Inn and Union Square, which is also a central location.

Regarding your drive, I think you already have the good spots scoped out, staying in Monterey then Santa Barbara before heading to LA sounds great, and the 1 is a very scenic road, especially between Santa Barbara and Ventura.

In Santa Barbara, I'd recommend:

- The Fez Parker DoubleTree, across from the beach in downtown, a more bustling area
- The Four Seasons, Montecito, on a cliff over the water in a secluded, upper-crust town adjacent to Santa Barbara
- The Bacara Resort, in Goleta (north of Santa Barbara), you stay in bungalows and it has two infinity pools overlooking the beach in a self-contained property separate from the town.

On your way to Santa Barbara, take a detour to Solvang which is off 246 (branches off from 1, then loops back to Santa Barbara at 101). It's a Danish-style town and the drive through the Santa Ynez Mountains/Lake Cachuma is really beautiful.

I think you only need to stay in Monterey and Santa Barbara for one night each. SF > Monterey is about an hour, Monterey > Santa Barbara is about 5 hours, and Santa Barbara > L.A. is about 3 hours (via Route 1, leisurely pace).
I couldn't have said it any better myself. Great job ! I will say that I think a day spent in Carmel would be a great part on any trip. It's a beautiful city, and there are some great restaurants, some overyhanging the cliffsides (I can't remember the name of the hotel, but they have a great restaurant). Best of luck on the trip, In my opinion, California is the most scenic, most beautiful state in America.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:55 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula
1,447 posts, read 1,259,484 times
While you are in Carmel, ask someone for directions to the Carmel Valley Road. I used to live in Carmel and I lived on that road- very scenic, Garland Ranch State Park is gorgeous, and there are lots of wineries (tho i imagine you have plenty of those in the south of France...) and there is an excellent organic farm and bakery there right on carmel valley road where there is a small but high quality salad bar, lots of tasty muffins, great coffee, and you can sit among a few redwoods beside it and have a wee picnic. take a walk behind the organic farm and there is a chamomile path, an herb garden, and a maize maze. a nice little country stop and its right off the one on your way to big sur. carmel valley road will be on your left. have a fantastic trip!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:08 AM

So it will be a new mustang but not a convertible (not sure it's a good idee with a baby) i will try to find a mustang here and i will check discretely the trunk
Or if i'm lucky i could get the new shelby by hertz

It will be great to see another way to make wine and to test them i'm pretty sure i will spend some time on the Garland Ranch State Park

Thanks for all these infos guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland